Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 09 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 15:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I wrong for being annoyed?

Britania757
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by Britania757.

Dec 09, 2017 15:07 |  #1

I recently took a trip to Cuba. My only plan was to try to meet up with a few relatives who live there and to do some photography. I was originally going to go by myself but a friend and fellow photographer decided he wanted to go as well. In the past I have walked around Chicago with this friend and I've noticed that every time I took a photograph, he would come behind me and take a photo of the same subject from the same angle. It annoyed me slightly but I just pushed it aside and kept shooting. At times I would take a picture of some random object just to see if he would follow along and on every single occasion he would take the same photo. Fast forward to Cuba and it was the same thing. Every single time I photographed something or someone, he was right there waiting for me to move so he could photograph the same thing. I finally asked him if he'd like to split up for a little while and go do our own things in an attempt to allow each of us to photograph something different but he was unwilling to do that. To make an already long story shorter, I didn't take a whole lot of pictures while I was there. I shoot film with a Gw690iii so I only get 8 shots per roll. I'm very selective of what I do shoot. He shoots digital and pretty much was able to shoot an unlimited amount of pictures. At one point when I pointed out that we should try to photograph different things, his response was that we just have the same eye and that since I was shooting film, my photographs would look different. I'm still in the process of developing my film while he has processed a number of his photos already. I've already noticed a trend in that every photo I've scanned, he has already shared a photo of the same subject with our group of friends. A large part of me feels like I'm overreacting by being annoyed by this as well as being childish but it really does annoy me. Has anyone else experienced a situation like this? What did you do or say to stop it? Should I just get over it and stop being annoyed? I've never experienced anything like this with any of the other photographers I've shot with.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/24547179@N07/ (external link)
Canon Elan IIe, Fuji GW690III Fuji X100T, TCL-X100, Fuji 50mm f2, Canon 100mm f2, Canon 50mm f1.8, Yongnuo 35mm

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,507 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 09, 2017 15:58 |  #2

Friend? Allow me to suggest 'leech'. I find it difficult to believe that photography is the only thing he is leeching from you. Or anyone else for that matter.

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,556 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 09, 2017 16:01 |  #3

Every wedding photographer and events photographer has this done to them at almost every wedding and event. If you shoot at places where many others shoot, you may as well get used to it.

Just be glad he was not using a Smartphone and jumping in front of you every time you tried to take a photo.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

GibJock
Don’t bait the TF, it’ll backfire on you.
8,906 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Dec 09, 2017 16:03 |  #4

You have a stalker!

flickr (external link)

Jethr0
848 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 09, 2017 16:10 |  #5

If this person is not fun to go out shooting with, don’t go out with him anymore...or limit it to local things.

Maintaining the fun aspect for me is key. Anyone or anything that takes away from that...I move on/change as required.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Britania757
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,206 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 09, 2017 21:33 as a reply to  @ Jethr0's post |  #6

I actually came to the same conclusion after my original post. I sat back and thought about the past couple of years and realized that it wasn't just the copying of photographs but any time I've bought any type of gear, he has gone out and made the same purchase without any research only to realize he had purchased something he didn't want. I have no clue if he has claimed any of my work as his own, but I have witnessed him being dishonest to others. I'm going to cut ties all together and not worry about it anymore.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/24547179@N07/ (external link)
Canon Elan IIe, Fuji GW690III Fuji X100T, TCL-X100, Fuji 50mm f2, Canon 100mm f2, Canon 50mm f1.8, Yongnuo 35mm

drmaxx
896 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 10, 2017 04:06 |  #7

There is a clear element of admiration for you in your friends behavior - which you could take as a compliment. Not that I think that this changes the annoyance of his behavior nor that you should not go through with your decision.

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

817 views & 8 likes for this thread
Am I wrong for being annoyed?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.