Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 09 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 14:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

WARNING on Rebate being offered for 5D Mark IV & 6D Mark II Printer Bundle.

l7s4
204 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Dec 09, 2017 21:12 |  #16

frozenmoments925...I had a similar narffle on a similar package in the past. Hopefully you made a copy of all the docs you submitted.

In my case, I had sent them a copy of the packing slip. What they wanted was a co[y of the invoice showing the prices paid. The cs person was very helpful in getting that info to me so I could comply.

Their requirements are stated in the rebate form, altho there was no specific mention that the invoice with pricing was required. Adorama will have provided you with all the docs required. Just a matter of getting them into Canon's system.

Good luck

Paul

PS. I am the only one who's annoyed by having to cut all the thru the camera box to give them the upc label? And I am the only one who thinks that an amex gift card is not the same as a price reduction or a cash rebate.

sponsored links
RMyers
Joined Dec 2009
Austin, TX
Dec 09, 2017 22:01 as a reply to l7s4's post |  #17

I had some fun getting the invoice for the printer since it shipped separately, but finally found a link in the email from Adorama about it shipping. Both the shipping emails had links to the invoices. The rebate form said it could be on separate invoices, but needed to be from the same vendor, same day, same billing info. So I have that. I did notice the fine print about including the UPC from the camera, but the wording was something along the lines of "if required". However, I didn't see in the required docs to include it.

I have not sent mine in yet though. I'll probably watch this thread a few more days.

Rusty
Austin, TX

carpenter
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Green Bay, WI
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by carpenter. 3 edits done in total.
Dec 10, 2017 00:08 |  #18

RMyers wrote in post #18514431 (external link)
I had some fun getting the invoice for the printer since it shipped separately, but finally found a link in the email from Adorama about it shipping. Both the shipping emails had links to the invoices. The rebate form said it could be on separate invoices, but needed to be from the same vendor, same day, same billing info. So I have that. I did notice the fine print about including the UPC from the camera, but the wording was something along the lines of "if required". However, I didn't see in the required docs to include it.

I have not sent mine in yet though. I'll probably watch this thread a few more days.

The bundle for the $350 rebate is for camera, paper and printer. There is a checkbox on the rebate form for the camera, however one of the options on the same form is for a bundle without the camera for a lesser rebate. That is why the wording is "if required". You will definitely need to cut the upc from the camera as well. No other special paperwork required aside from the form, receipt and UPC codes.

Side note.. Always take a photo of the filled out form and cut UPC codes. I had one rebate this summer that didn't make it to the rebate center. I called them and they said I could just email the picture. My rebate was approved within 2 days

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

Jotto123
88 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Dec 10, 2017 05:34 |  #19

How long does it take for canon to send out the money card?

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 24mm 2.8

HelenOster
That's me!
4,372 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Dec 10, 2017 05:45 |  #20

elitejp wrote in post #18514378 (external link)
Agree 100% with Bassat. Lets first try to actually resolve the situation rather than complain about it on a forum which isnt going to help you anyways.

On a side note Helen must be an extremely patient person.

:love: Please write & tell my husband, that....... :p:-D

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

Furlan
645 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Dec 10, 2017 05:45 |  #21

l7s4 wrote in post #18514416 (external link)
frozenmoments925...I had a similar narffle on a similar package in the past. Hopefully you made a copy of all the docs you submitted.

In my case, I had sent them a copy of the packing slip. What they wanted was a co[y of the invoice showing the prices paid. The cs person was very helpful in getting that info to me so I could comply.

Their requirements are stated in the rebate form, altho there was no specific mention that the invoice with pricing was required. Adorama will have provided you with all the docs required. Just a matter of getting them into Canon's system.

Good luck

Paul

PS. I am the only one who's annoyed by having to cut all the thru the camera box to give them the upc label? And I am the only one who thinks that an amex gift card is not the same as a price reduction or a cash rebate.

Per rebate check list, date of purchase and purchased price circled.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,372 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Dec 11, 2017 05:44 |  #22

l7s4 wrote in post #18514416 (external link)
PS. I am the only one who's annoyed by having to cut all the thru the camera box to give them the upc label? ....

And there IS a really good reason for that....to explain why, I'm going to tell of a recent experience....

A customer contacts me, 9/25/17, understandably upset that the UPS delivery guy dropped the printer - from a rebate deal - on the driveway. Rain comes down & customer tells us the box is destroyed.

At first he refused to send us any pictures, so we advised we couldn't move forward; we arranged a UPS damage inspection immediately but the customer cancelled the inspection the very next day, 9/26/17
Finally, he sent us pictures, based on which we advised him to return it to us and as soon as we could see it tracking back we would ship a replacement. Which we did.

We sent the customer a copy of his invoice for the rebate and emailed him that when we received the damaged one no refund would be issued because we'd applied the credit on the replacement order.

The customer wrote and advised one of my colleagues that as he did not get the replacement one in time to give as a gift, he went & just purchased another printer from Best Buy - and would be returning the new one to us, which he did.

We did not receive the damaged printer back until 11/13/17, with the UPC cut out!

We checked with Canon and discovered that in the meantime the customer had claimed and received the Rebate of $350.00 - which he was not entitled to (you can’t return something, and still get a rebate!!)

But he believes we should refund him $300.00 for the damaged printer. (He wrote and complained to me that he only bought this deal to be able to claim the rebate......)

We can send him a new printer without the UPC/SERIAL NUMBER bar codes but we will not be issuing any refund.

If there was no requirement to cut out the UPC - and all the other really irritating stipulations that are in place - we/Canon could potentially be opening ourselves up to the possibility of widespread abuse of the rebates system.

Helen@adorama.com

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,946 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 11, 2017 06:08 as a reply to HelenOster's post |  #23

Helen, thank you for the applicable story. I'm just off in la-la-land, here, but wouldn't it be nice if manufacturers dispensed with all the goofy jump-through-this-and-that hoops just to get a rebate. Perhaps their sales numbers would get a boost from simply cutting MSRP? Nahhh! What was I thinking?

Tom

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Dec 11, 2017 06:15 |  #24

Bassat wrote in post #18515224 (external link)
Helen, thank you for the applicable story. I'm just off in la-la-land, here, but wouldn't it be nice if manufacturers dispensed with all the goofy jump-through-this-and-that hoops just to get a rebate. Perhaps their sales numbers would get a boost from simply cutting MSRP? Nahhh! What was I thinking?

Rebates are beneficial for the business as you will always have those who buy because of the rebate but due to one reason or another dont follow up with the rebate procedure.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,946 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 11, 2017 06:20 |  #25

elitejp wrote in post #18515228 (external link)
Rebates are beneficial for the business as you will always have those who buy because of the rebate but due to one reason or another dont follow up with the rebate procedure.

Which gets to my point. Econ101 teaches that if price goes down, sales go up. Lower the price: sell more units. I'd love to see research comparing the two options (rebate vs lower price). Then again, Steve Jobs made billions (literally) by selling a $20 item for $300. He understood human nature.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,619 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed. 10 edits done in total.
Dec 11, 2017 07:33 |  #26

elitejp wrote in post #18515228 (external link)

Ditto with gift cards and visa cards, cash cows for businesses. Personally I feel that if a business knows they are employing a practice where they know consumers won't follow up on cash owed them, either from an advertised rebate or cash-equivalent cards of any kind, then they are playing games with ethical behavior IMO. It is all about intent, and the only 2 primary intents in offering these rebate programs vs just having a normal sale are to play the odds that 1) not all consumers will do what they are supposed to get that money back and 2) they can spread their revenue hits (ie. the consumer offers the manufacturer an interest free loan for 30-60 days) across a certain time period with some level of control, which just exists to make certain revenue reporting periods look better for shareholders and boards.

Somebody is going to play the proverbial "it's the consumer's responsibility to follow up on the rebate", but again it comes down to intent of the initial offer. If you offer this knowing 25% of your consumer base won't turn them in, does that make it right? I am not sure, but it feels like it falls into the area of predatory consumer activity, counting on the fact folks are forgetful, or it's too difficult to get the rebate files, etc. Doesn't matter what I or others think though, rebates have been around for a very long time, and aren't going away.

Sure sales increase with offered rebates, but so do conventional sales, as evidenced during Black Friday, Cyber Monday and other Christmas periods. If increased sales was the sole motivator for rebates, then just hold a sale. The next time somebody tries to sell you on a rebate offering, just ask them why you should provide the manufacturer an interest-free loan for 60 days to see their expression. :)

One of the easiest rebate programs we ever use is Menards. They record your purchases and items on their servers, you just pick up a form right at the exit of the store, fill it all in with your receipt info, and no hassles, you get your rebate check back in a couple of weeks after mailing it out. I will say that rebate programs are easier and faster than the 80s/90s, that is a plus. They were impossible to track and manage back then, and you never knew if you were getting your money back.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sjnovakovich
Joined Aug 2007
Central PA
Dec 11, 2017 08:10 |  #27

My thoughts. First, the issue of having moderators screen complaints specific to BH and Adorama. IN NO WAY do I support this. I've dealt with both companies, and both are top notch in customer service, but the idea of selectively screening comments for specific vendors is abhorrent.

Next, the obstacles that must be navigated in order to get the rebate. There are far too many cunningly dishonest people out there. The hoops are a good way to weed out many of them. When I do a rebate, I print the instructions, make myself a checklist, make photocopies of everything, and photograph the envelope when all is complete.

Next, the gift cards/AMEX cards in lieu of cash. I agree that this is BS. Refund my cash, please.

Finally, much of what TeamSpeed stated is probably true. All marketing people use schemes to maximize profit. Isn't that part of what capitalism is all about? I use my own judgement and ethics to decide whether or not I think the deal is good enough for me to participate. The ability for companies to maximize profits benefits us, the consumers, by helping keep down the price of goods.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,372 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Dec 11, 2017 08:27 |  #28

Bassat wrote in post #18515224 (external link)

Maybe....but it's all marketing, isn't it? Who doesn't <3 'free' stuff.....

Helen@adorama.com

Furlan
645 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Dec 11, 2017 10:14 |  #29

If want to get technical Adorama should not even be mentioned in the title of this thread. The rebate offer is from Canon for
purchases made thru any of their authorized dealers. Dealers basically have nothing to do with the rebate except to issue a
receipt for purchase which is the norm regardless of rebate offers.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,372 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Dec 11, 2017 10:58 |  #30

Furlan wrote in post #18515365 (external link)
If want to get technical Adorama should not even be mentioned in the title of this thread. The rebate offer is from Canon for
purchases made thru any of their authorized dealers. Dealers basically have nothing to do with the rebate except to issue a
receipt for purchase which is the norm regardless of rebate offers.

You are correct, but you know I will always help if I can.

I've looked at Felipe's submission but I cannot see where the problem lies - so recommended that he contact Canon's rebate center directly.

If anyone else needs those details:

Customer service hours are 8 AM - 4:15 PM CDT .

Phone: 866-668-9861
PO Address: Canon Promotion
PO Box 1919
Memphis, TN 38101
Email: canonrebates@ac​bcoop.com

Helen@adorama.com

sponsored links

4,305 views & 119 likes for this thread
WARNING on Rebate being offered for 5D Mark IV & 6D Mark II Printer Bundle.
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.