Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses
Thread started 23 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 19:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is this lens sharp enough?

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,648 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 24, 2017 22:57 |  #31

Looks soft to me.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Dec 12, 2017 03:46 |  #32

The f/1.4 looks a little back focussed but still not as sharp as many tests of the 85Art have demonstrated.

Gear List

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,129 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Post has been edited 2 months ago by TooManyShots.
Dec 12, 2017 13:28 |  #33

Shoot one with LiveView AF at f1.4. Is an ART lens. Wide open should be tack sharp..... Makes sure you have no filter on the lens???

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

daystar
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Aug 2008
East Coast, US
Dec 13, 2017 13:09 |  #34

Thanks everyone! I have already sent the lens back for a return. At this time, I'm not up for playing the exchange game to try to get a good copy. Maybe later if I feel my Nikon 85mm is just really slacking and holding me back. :)

Nikon D750 | Nikon D7100 | 85mm 1.8G | 50mm 1.8G | 35mm 1.8G | Tamron 70-200 2.8

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,129 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Dec 13, 2017 17:10 as a reply to daystar's post |  #35

You can buy another copy again from another vendors...Samy's camera or Pixel Connection. At times, I do become weary about buying lenses from the usual major vendors because people tend to keep exchanging one until they think they have a good copy. What would the vendors do with the returned ones? Clean them up if needed and to resell them again. Ultimately, you will get someone else's bad copies. Hehehehe.....

I haven't had bad lens issues though since I bought them from Beachcamera, Samy's camera, and Pixel connection recently....

Of course, get the US version with warranty because, if needed, you can have Sigma to recalibrate the lens under the warranty claim..

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

daystar
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Aug 2008
East Coast, US
Dec 14, 2017 06:47 |  #36

TooManyShots wrote in post #18517227 (external link)
You can buy another copy again from another vendors...Samy's camera or Pixel Connection. At times, I do become weary about buying lenses from the usual major vendors because people tend to keep exchanging one until they think they have a good copy. What would the vendors do with the returned ones? Clean them up if needed and to resell them again. Ultimately, you will get someone else's bad copies. Hehehehe.....

I haven't had bad lens issues though since I bought them from Beachcamera, Samy's camera, and Pixel connection recently....

Of course, get the US version with warranty because, if needed, you can have Sigma to recalibrate the lens under the warranty claim..

Thanks for the info there! I'll consider those vendors next time I get the "gotta buy something" bug. :)

Nikon D750 | Nikon D7100 | 85mm 1.8G | 50mm 1.8G | 35mm 1.8G | Tamron 70-200 2.8

sponsored links

3,217 views & 2 likes for this thread
Is this lens sharp enough?
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.