Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras
Thread started 14 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 19:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thinking of D7100, any buyer's remorse?

ShutterKlick
Joined Oct 2017
Dec 14, 2017 19:50 |  #1

Just a question.. my life doesnt depend on this but.. money for me is super tight at all times so when I make a purchase, I research forever before I buy.

I currently run a D5300 and LOVE it.. only thing it doesnt have that I want is HSS/AutoFP. That is one of the bigger reasons I want to switch, but a few others point to the D7100 as my next camera body.

Comparing the two, I cant think of a reason I would not be happy, but curious... can anyone see where I would have buyer's remorse after getting the 7100?

Does it do AF faster/better than the 5300? Anything else you may think of?

Ive found with video, 1080 at 24p is perfect, if I need 60p I can just run the 5300 instead. Mostly I want the 7100 for photo..

Thanks!
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"
http://shutterklick.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2017
Dec 16, 2017 13:18 |  #2

Bump for exposure (excuse the pun).

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,129 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Dec 16, 2017 13:45 |  #3

HSS and Auto FP are the functions of your speedlite....not the camera...unless you are primarily using your little on-camera flash? If so....you shouldn't. I mean....is small. Not powerful enough and not directional either.

Should you get the D7100? I say yes/ no. The buffer capacity is horrible. The buffer can get filled up after 4 to 5 shots raw and you have to wait for it to clear. Is 24mp with an more advanced AF system with 51 AF points with 15 highly sensitive cross type in the middle. Is cheap now for an used one. is under $500. The D7200 is nice and new and refurbished units are around $700. If you can come up with another $200, you should get the D7200.

That's what I am shooting with. With a Sandisk extreme pro sd card, you can shoot at 24 to 29 frames in RAW, 14bit, continuously before the buffer fills up. After that, you can still shoot at 2 fps.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2017
Dec 16, 2017 18:37 |  #4

I fully understand that AutoFP is a function of the flash, but the camera must support the mode. My 5300 does not, hence one of the reasons for the question.

I think I would be satisfied with the 7100, however based on your advice I am investigating the 7200. A poor man can only afford to buy once.. so as buy once, cry once.

Thank you for your insights and response,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,129 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Dec 16, 2017 19:04 as a reply to ShutterKlick's post |  #5

Yeah....people were complaining about the d7100 buffer being too small. After firing 4 to 6 shots, you have to wait for the buffer to clear. I did a quick search on the price of a Nikon refurbished D7200. The going rate is about $800. On ebay, it is slightly cheaper, $750 to $780. One knowable vendor is selling it for $700. I am not going to name names here. I am skeptical of that...it could be a return they are selling back to another buyer.

This place is not bad. Nikon authorized seller. You get 90 days warranty from Nikon too.

https://www.ebay.com ...617aa0:g:52oAAOSwK~​RaEYQ1 (external link)

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2017
Post has been edited 2 months ago by ShutterKlick.
Dec 16, 2017 21:35 |  #6

Thanks guys!

The 7200 is very much out of my budget right now... but, all around it looks like a better camera than the 7100. One thing is the gradual slide on the ISO during video, which is VERY nice, I can attest to after shooting video on my D5300 which does not have this function.

Another thing, the 7200 has the Expeed4 just like my 5300, and it has proven it's worth.

Therefore, I am committed to saving up until I have enough money to get the 7200.

Thanks for your help, very much!!

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Dec 16, 2017 21:48 |  #7

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18519732 (external link)
Thanks guys!

The 7200 is very much out of my budget right now... but, all around it looks like a better camera than the 7100. One thing is the gradual slide on the ISO during video, which is VERY nice, I can attest to after shooting video on my D5300 which does not have this function.

Another thing, the 7200 has the Expeed4 just like my 5300, and it has proven it's worth.

Therefore, I am committed to saving up until I have enough money to get the 7200.

Thanks for your help, very much!!

Andrew

Dont foreget older processing sites like LIghtroom 5 do not recognise the 7200 but do the 7100 (I use LR5.7)

P.

Olympus E-M1 and some Zuiko glass

ShutterKlick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2017
Dec 17, 2017 00:01 |  #8

Okay, thanks for the heads up... Im not a LR guy but its something to look into for my other software, I run 90% raw/jpg.

Thanks!
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

sponsored links

297 views & 2 likes for this thread
Thinking of D7100, any buyer's remorse?
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.