Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 16 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom/Photoshop and a 32" 4K monitor

WesternGuy
773 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 16, 2017 12:49 |  #1

I am wondering if anyone is running Photoshop/Lightroom on a computer using a 32" 4K monitor or two. I ask because I have two questions: 1) how is it working for you - what do you like or dislike about the monitor. 2) which graphics card are you using to drive the the monitor.

Thanks.

WesternGuy

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,216 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 16, 2017 13:24 |  #2

I've used a Nvidia Quadro card with a 4K monitor. I think 4K is nice for photography (and be sure that your monitor is IPS). The resolution reveals more of what's sharp and in focus. In Photoshop and LR, images are scaled well if you're viewing at fit to window. But I found some other image preview programs weren't as good with scaling previews: sometimes clothing would almost get a moire type pattern when scaled to fit. You may not encounter that depending on your software.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 17, 2017 07:59 |  #3

I had a really long post going, but really all I need to say is that the higher the resolution that you can get the better. I have A 27" 5K display, it runs great under Win 10. Lr and Ps are both fine, but make sure you go for a GPU with at least 4 GB. Adobe used to say 1 GB min, preferably 2GB VRAM, at least that was what I saw back when getting my system. I have just seen they are now saying twice those amounts for HiDPI. My GTX 960 has only 2GB VRAM on the card.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,093 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 17, 2017 09:42 |  #4

BigAl007 wrote in post #18519948 (external link)
I had a really long post going, but really all I need to say is that the higher the resolution that you can get the better. I have A 27" 5K display, it runs great under Win 10. Lr and Ps are both fine, but make sure you go for a GPU with at least 4 GB. Adobe used to say 1 GB min, preferably 2GB VRAM, at least that was what I saw back when getting my system. I have just seen they are now saying twice those amounts for HiDPI. My GTX 960 has only 2GB VRAM on the card.

Alan

You do not need extra VRAM just to run a 4K display for photo editing. It takes very little graphical power or memory to run the display. Where you'll need the extra VRAM is in video games or more complex video editing. This is why even tiny cheap Roku and Google Chromes can run 4K content no problem.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,111 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 17, 2017 15:41 |  #5

An important consideration, any time your monitor resolution gets to 2560x1440 or higher...

• does your PC have a video card which supports the resolution of the monitor and the connection type on the monitor
  • do you use higher than Win7 (for PC) due to text display management limitations of <Win10

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Lenty007
218 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Dec 18, 2017 08:20 |  #6

My config is a Samsung 40" 4K (no IPS) screen with W7 and a 2Gb VRAM video card.

Runs 4K at 60Hz but only just. Basically every two weeks the screen turns black for a second or two for no apparent reason.
After working for 8 years with a Full HD screen 37" (LG) the move to 4K was a big step up and a joy to view pics and work at them in PS/LR (no moiré to report here).

One thing is for sure, my next pc will have at least 4Gb of VRAM.

Good luck and greetings from Ghent.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,111 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 18, 2017 10:41 |  #7

Trying to use a 4k monitor with Win7 will result in too-small-to-read text displayed on screen for normal Win7 file information (name, date of modification, etc.) because of the dot matrix used by Win7 for text characters. If you try to use Win7 text magnification option (125%, 150% etc.) that will appear to fix the legibility issue, until you run across an application that manages its own screen layout UI and suddenly text does not properly fit within the space aloted, or other problems. That is why Win10 is needed, to handle the issues of text display on a monitor with 2560x1440 pixels or more, with a bit more elegance than Win7. Using a really large diameter high res monitor alleviates the tiny text readability issues more than a smaller physical size monitor.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Lenty007
218 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Dec 19, 2017 08:51 |  #8

You're correct Wilt but for now I happen to like the small print.
Indeed I've experimented with the scale but never found a decent balance.
Untill a new pc arrives I'll stick with W7.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,417 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 19, 2017 09:06 |  #9

I run a 27" IPS 4k monitor (not a TV) in both Win 10 and Linux Ubuntu 16.04. Both OS offer scalability of fonts and icons, however, in both OS I have programs that do not scale (well or not at all). It seems that they were not ready for 4k or that they cater too much to legacy programs (not the Win10 from what I hear).

Truth be told, I use a legacy GUI (Gnome Metacity) Flashback they call it... I hear that the modern GUI in Linux works better. I'll be waiting for the April 18 upgrade 18.04 LTS for them to fix the glitches. For Win 10, I don't really care...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,216 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 19, 2017 10:37 |  #10

Windows 10 now has some really advanced features for scaling up fonts with legacy apps. While all my other software now supports hiDPI, I've found X-Rite software doesn't support hiDPI. By default, Windows gives hiDPI scaling to the application. But under the compatibility tab in Win 10, you can over-ride to "System(Enhanced)" mode....which scales very well. It appears much better and crisper then some previous hacks, which just scaled the smaller resolution thumbnail graphics.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

682 views & 1 like for this thread
Lightroom/Photoshop and a 32" 4K monitor
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.