Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 30 Oct 2017 (Monday) 15:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

polar alignment in Southern Hemisphere

ctvu
37 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 30, 2017 15:48 |  #1

Hi all,

I just bought a tracker (iOptron) and iOptron app as well, currently I am struggling with polar alignment since I am in Southern Hemisphere, the Polaris Australis is very dim, I could see the Southern Cross. I wanted to do 2-3 min long exposure.
Any tip/ help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,620 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 17, 2017 11:34 |  #2

I have no experience with the iOptron but make sure you have it set for Southern Hemisphere. The switch marked N/S should be set to "S".

This might be helpful:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=iXVVBlvlhbE (external link)

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com …7/Nighthd/POTN%​20Gallery/ (external link)

andyjensen
82 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 19, 2017 23:43 |  #3

I'm not familiar with the southern sky at all (alas), but from what I've read and what I'm seeing on Stellarium, you can use the Southern Cross as a rough pointer, to get you in the vicinity. It'll kind of point to Chameleon, then you can move anti-clockwise to Octans, which looks like an almost-right triangle. South of Octans (toward the true pole) you'll find four stars in sort of a trapezoid shape; the pole star is the top left star of the trapezoid, if the wider end opens down toward the horizon.

You could also try just pointing it due south (make sure to account for your local magnetic declination) and set the angle to the local latitude (tripod level, of course), and you'll probably be close enough for round stars and 2-3 minute exposures at reasonable focal lengths. At this point, you may be able to pick out the star in the polar alignment scope; not sure how it behaves optically though.

I know your post was quite a while ago; if you haven't gotten it working to your satisfaction yet, I hope it's helpful.

Some clicking occurred, a few lenses were involved, that's about all I know ...

ctvu
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 11, 2018 17:13 as a reply to  @ andyjensen's post |  #4

Hi All,
Thanks for taking time to respond to my post. I have been trying other different methods from different forums, Facebook groups, etc. it is quite challenging to find the Sigma Octantis since it is so faint.
To my understanding, if I really wanted to spot on the Polaris Australis, I would need to have software (sharpcape,etc) and hardware (polemaster, telescope, etc) which I think it is one or two level up (deep sky, stars etc). At the moment I focus on the Milky way and widefield, imaging in the field, dark sky, sometimes you need to hike for a few Kms, and carry small laptop, I am not up to there yet.
once again really appreciated your posts you both.

Cheers

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

561 views & 3 likes for this thread
polar alignment in Southern Hemisphere
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.