Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 12 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 18:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

If you can stomach the dead animal photos hunting magazines and web sites have lots of useful info'.

GAJoe
Joined Jul 2008
North Georgia, USA
Nov 12, 2017 18:46 |  #1

I haven't visited this forum group much before but after reading some of the requests for information I think that hunting magazines and websites would have helpful information. A lot of people are offended by those who hunt to put venison or roast duck on the table. But learning to hunt for wildlife photography is no different than the skills that these publications strive to pass along except you don't need the knowledge of vital organ location or field dressing techniques. It does helps us to understand game animal behavior like the migration patterns of waterfowl and the cycle of the deer and elk rut. Many of their advertised products are to get people closer to animals; camo clothing and blinds, scent elimination systems, and feeding products. Trail cameras help to learn the habits and schedules that the animals have. Many of the reviews that they publish introduce new products and answer questions as to their operation and effectiveness.
As I find my self grinning at some of the questions I find here I'm sure some of my photography questions would make many of you grin or worse as they would show my lack of formal training in photography. My Dad raised me hunting and I've brought those skills along for the ride into wildlife photography. Here's a link to one of my Face Book albums of my images from a small flood control lake that is literally across the road (and a half mile through the woods) from my home. (You don't have to have a FB account to view the album with this link.)
https://www.facebook.c​om ...56202&type=1&l=536d​c68ceb (external link)
I know there are lots of not so good images and several that are from burst sequences that need thinning out but they all contribute to the Teasley Lake story. The coyote and bobcat were called in using cottontail distress.
Don't hold my hunting background against me as it was how I was raised. My Dad is finally adjusting to my taking a camera instead of a gun. It's helped that the GA DNR has used a few of my images.
The buck and wood ducks images for the "Season Dates" page on this web site are mine:
http://georgiawildlife​.com/ (external link)
Don't hesitate to ask me a hunting related question that may help you out. And do consider perusing the hunting websites and forums for some answers.

Canon 7D Mk II, EF 100-400L MkII, EF 1.4X III, EF-S 18-135mm STM, 430 EX II flash, DCR-150, DCR-250, MANFROTTO 055XPROB w/ 322RC Grip

sponsored links
alliben
Joined Apr 2011
Nov 17, 2017 13:24 |  #2

Sometimes you feed the belly, sometimes you feed the soul.

AZ ­ Pix
550 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Nov 28, 2017 17:31 |  #3

No need to apologize for being a hunter. A quick story - years ago I took a guided canoe trip back east on a wetland preserve. It was wonderful and full of fur and feathers for all to enjoy. I didn't ask outright, but it was obvious that most on the trip were not hunters, and some were strongly against it. At the end of the trip the guide was answering many questions about the land and the wildlife when someone in the crowd asked, "Who pays for all this?" The guide said, hunters! The crowd went silent. Every hunting license, duck stamp, etc. helps fund wildlife conservation efforts. I know photographers who wouldn't even think about donating funds for wildlife, but I know many hunters who gladly purchase hunting and fishing licenses every year because they know the money goes toward the cause. Some don't even use the licenses. I carry both rifle and camera afield. I often come home with just pictures, but I'm never ashamed of harvesting my own protein either. Unless someone gave my deer a Twinkie, there are zero preservatives, additives, yellow dye #3, etc. in that meat. Can't beat that. Thanks for the post! I agree. There's a lot we photographers can learn from hunters.

Beekeeper
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Dec 21, 2017 23:13 as a reply to AZ Pix's post |  #4

Same with me. I haven't been out hunting this year due to a lack of time. I do often carry a camera and a gun/bow. The many of the same skills translate to both subjects. I buy duck stamps, but I don't duck hunt. I just think it's a good idea to fund habitat for the critters too.

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,966 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Dec 21, 2017 23:53 |  #5

Only some of the subjects I photograph are tasty on the table :)

Hunting for Venison, or any food on the table from herd animals that are in healthy numbers will never bother me, I'd do it myself. Have in the past.

One type of hunting that really does bother me is trophy "hunting". That is a completely different subject, and the "hunter" has a completely different mindset.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 1 month ago by DaviSto.
Dec 22, 2017 04:31 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18523824 (external link)
Only some of the subjects I photograph are tasty on the table :)

Hunting for Venison, or any food on the table from herd animals that are in healthy numbers will never bother me, I'd do it myself. Have in the past.

One type of hunting that really does bother me is trophy "hunting". That is a completely different subject, and the "hunter" has a completely different mindset.

Could not agree more. If you are prepared to eat meat, you are directly or by proxy in the business of killing animals for your food. As long as you have the equipment and the skills to make a clean kill, and you are hunting animals that are plentiful in the wild and not under threat, I can't see any moral distinction between hunting and rearing animals for slaughter.

I do object strongly to trophy hunting and to near equivalents, like hunting rhinos for their horns or elephants for their tusks. And I am unhappy about trapping because of the suffering that it causes. And hunting any animal that is under threat as a species is worse than dumb.

I suppose some people feel unhappy about hunting because of the satisfaction that the hunter takes from the chase. That doesn't bother me at all, though. Whole habitats are preserved because people enjoy them to hunt in.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links

542 views & 16 likes for this thread
If you can stomach the dead animal photos hunting magazines and web sites have lots of useful info'.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.