Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 08 Dec 2017 (Friday) 09:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using Mirrorless as a "fancy"point & shoot

Cream of the Crop
6,132 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Dec 08, 2017 16:19 |  #16

Many mirrorless camera systems are available these days.

What are your expectations out of this "point and shoot"???????

If you want to have a comparable camera body in Canon 7d (mk2) AF speed I don't suggest the fuji bodies unless it's the newer body like the X-t20, X-E3 or pony up to the X-T2 or X-pro2. However the Sony offerings is probably better in AF-C faster focusing mirrorless bodies compared to Fuji. The Fuji X100 series is a fixed lens and I'd prefer an interchangeable lens system for "point/shoot" applications.

You can go the Micro 4/3 route but price wise they are pretty expensive now with their newer generation bodies. Unlike in the early years the price point was much better. However as you know your 7D mk1 will be easily outperformed in image quality with the newer smaller M43 systems. Pricing out the m43 lenses is not inexpensive and the system still is somewhat crippled in high iso and dynamic range capabilities. However if it suites your needs the system may just fit.

I've played with Sony systems but for slower moving subjects (not really for sports / fast action application) the Fuji system is quite nice. The X-t10 16mp camera (similar AF system and same sensor to the older flagship X-t1) paired with the the Fuji lenses is amazing even though it's a slightly older model. The crop sensor Fuji produces extremely nice files with fuji flavour. Even the 18-55 kit lens is f/2.8-4.0 variable aperture with excellent pro build but the IQ is remarkable for a kit lens.

Shop around and play with the ergonomics of each system. Have fun spending money :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | EF-X500 | TT685

sponsored links
214 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Dec 13, 2017 17:21 |  #17

I use a mirrorless as a point and shoot, just various ones I got dirt cheep: The first gen Canon M is nice but with the 22mm is slower to AF, the lens though is very good and small. The Nikon 1 series are small and the AF on the V1 is really fast but it seems to be dead mount. m43 16mp bodies are good and there are a lot of good lenses. Sony's 16mp can be had at a good price and is quite good in low light. Samsungs are yet another dead end but can be got sometimes silly cheap and some of the lenses are really good, the 20mp sensor is good. No experience of Fujis so cant say anything about them. I have got good performing cameras from all above for less than £100 for the body and kit lens at some point, the Samsung bodies were all < £20 so if you want a low cost P&S it seems you can get an interchangeable lens camera for less than the fixed lens larger sensor cameras.

Feed Your Head

Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,010 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)
Dec 13, 2017 20:03 |  #18

AlanU wrote in post #18513663 (external link)
What are your expectations out of this "point and shoot"???????

I have a point and shoot, and it does not have any mirror in it!  :p

OP, it is important to UNDERSTAND what qualities/characterist​ics you want in a camera, since such a checklist of features and characteristics might NOT require you to purchase a mirrorless body at all, and you might find yourself spending less money and ending up with a smaller camera, to boot.

'compact size & weight but with excellent image capabilities' can be seen in many products, all smaller and lighter than a 7D

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

"Looks rough and well used"
12,546 posts
Gallery: 1028 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013
Dec 13, 2017 20:46 |  #19

Take a look at the Fuji X100 series (X100S is about $350ish). Dead silent leaf shutter digital ranger finder with a 23mm F2 (35mm FOV equivalent) prime, can do AF or excellent EVF focus peaking MF. Zone focus is great too if you're wanting a range finder experience. Very enjoyable day to day walk around camera that is compact and modern. I cannot stress enough how wonderfully casual it is to have a silent leaf shutter and an OVF and EVF as options and the rear LCD. Small and light weight. The X100S and later models are wonderful, excellent JPG output to simplify workflow.

I was in the same boat. Started with a Canon S100 with a little leather case. Then started using a Canon EOS-M with the pancake. Eventually moved to the Fuji X100S for the everyday, walkaround, treat it like a point & shoot camera, as well as being able to be so much more, and being able to treat it as a P&S, general camera with the normal expectations, or use it as a classic range finder, for all kinds of experiences and approaches to photography. It has been a joy to use. And I can hand it to others too. Love how quiet it is. No one knows you're taking photos. And it's inconspicuous being small, simple, and not slapping mirrors around. This little thing has a leaf shutter and a flash and can sync at fast shutter speeds so you can do creative stuff normally only found with big complex setups. It gives you options to grow into, so it's a P&S one day, and a serious tool the next.

IMAGE LINK:​DU  (external link) IMG_9244 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Cream of the Crop
6,248 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by kf095. (2 edits in all)
Dec 14, 2017 10:39 |  #20

"Real" digital "point and shoot" are less and less made. Those are really small and will fit into to the pocket while in the pouch. And it is hard to find one with good lens and good sensor. iPhone often is better.
I have Lumix true P&S made around 2008, 8MP, fast Leica zoom with OS(IS) and CCD sensor.

It knocks out newer Canon P&S from circa 2014, I have as well, with 16 MP (fake) and dull lens .

Just two days ago I printed two 5x7 side by side. One was taken by this camera, another by Canon DSLR. No difference in IQ. At all.

I'm periodically thinking of getting 6D for family pictures. I need deep DOF for it and it commands high ISO or/and flash. Also, two days ago, I discovered what Olympus Pen F while small camera, gives deep DOF due to the sensor size, yet, ISO6400 and higher shots looks as good as my tiny Lumix ISO400 and lower shots. It is 20 MP sensor.
And it is as fancy as it could get. :)

Currently here is no small cameras with RF like style or in "true" P&S scale, size and this good sensor. I'll be waiting...
If here and now, I'll get Ricoh GRII. Small, smart P&S, with incredibly good IQ and large sensor. It is "fancy" not for its look, but how they made it for photographers, not hipsters :).

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

453 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2016
Dec 20, 2017 13:22 |  #21

Ricoh GRii is an actual fancy point and shoot. Aps-c sensor with no AA filter, amazingly sharp lens, zone manual focus, etc. If you want interchangeable lenses, then the Olympus Pen series with something like the Panasonic 20mm is really small. Excluding the Pen-F, they don't have built in viewfinders, but they have an attachable viewfinder.

Gear: …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr:​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,574 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Dec 20, 2017 13:44 |  #22

Bassat wrote in post #18513384 (external link)
Jake, I love the '70s motor-head reference: 'blow the doors off'. Did you by chance ever own an early Hemi-'Cuda?

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18513418 (external link)
My dream Mopar was a Plymouth GTX Hemi.. or Charger RT/500. . I did get a chance to drive a '72 Charger with a 440 once. Not the body style I I loved from the late 60's/1970, but still awesome and fast. . Mopars were always my fav . . .

That's so cool, Jake!

Mopars were always my fave, too. . I had a '71 Roadrunner with the 383......loved that swoopy curvy body style - looked like a Coke bottle! . I also loved the '71 and '72 'Cudas and Challengers because of their curvy body style, as well as the funky options like color-coded elastomeric bumpers, billboard stripes, color-coded seat inserts, gills in the fenders, outrageous paint color options, and Air-Grabber hood scoops.

For a few years in the early 1990's I had a gig on the side selling original parts for those mopar muscle cars - I'd scour junkyards for cars with compatible parts and go to swap meets and buy low, then sell high in Hemmings Motor News. . I did rather well and it was a lot of fun.

I was never much of a motorhead - it was always the aesthetics that mattered to me, not the engineering or performance.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

395 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2016
Dec 23, 2017 08:08 |  #23

I use a Canon M6 as a smaller backup to my 80D and with the 15-45 kit lens it would easily fit in a purse or coat pocket. I prefer however to use it with EF-S glass, and typically have my Canon 18-135mm IS USM lens mounted on it. I use live view quite often on my 80D so moving to the M6 was an easy change and it's nice not to have to worry about MFA'ing lenses on two separate bodies (since the M6 uses DPAF it never front or back focuses). There is an EVF available but I prefer to use the touchscreen, and if I need a viewfinder (like on a very sunny day or in high speed action situations) I'll use my 80D.

I previously had a M3 and despite that being a nice little camera the AF system was extremely slow, especially with non-native glass. The older M-series cameras also have no remote shutter release port which is a necessity for me.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up going with!

-Joe (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Tim ­ S
1,479 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006
Jan 10, 2018 13:10 as a reply to  @ post 18513459 |  #24

I have an EOS M3 Great companion when you want lightweight Get the adapterand you can use any EF lens you own on it.

sponsored links

1,698 views & 4 likes for this thread
Using Mirrorless as a "fancy"point & shoot
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.