Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850

JessicaJones215
34 posts
Joined Sep 2017

Nov 06, 2017 18:06 |  #196
bannedPermanent ban

Canon 100%

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by mdvaden.

Nov 21, 2017 10:37 |  #197

MDJAK wrote in post #18487333 (external link)
I just sold all of my Canon gear, from my 1DxII to my L glass and flashes.

Why? First allow me to state the obvious. It’s not the gun, it’s the trigger puller.

There, now that I got that out of the way, I still like nice gear. And after lugging the above gear out west in August, up and down Zion, around Arches, in and out of Bryce, Moab and all manner of parks and trails in Boulder, the weight just got to me.

So I say, why narrow your choice to Canon and Nikon, both of which systems I’ve owned and really like?

I am seriously considering the Sony A9 or the soon to be out A7R3. Neither cheap, but Sony is just killing them all.

Actually, Sony is just CATCHING IT"S BREATH ... lol

After overheating batteries, dead video, cannibalizing other brands lenses ... Sony has just recently got it's equilibrium. Sony has some very nice stuff. But what you said is an exaggeration commonly propagated, especially in light of customer service and the entire package of what's available.

I'd gladly own a Sony, but have no need to change to a brand that just got on it's feet.

For what you shared about weight, I feel the same way. Recently removed my battery grips and am looking at lighter lenses. I recently bought a wonderful Canon M5 too.

Honestly, I think the M5 is good enough for an extra body for wedding stuff, but still rely on full frame.

RE the OP's question, if I had not used Canon, I would flip a coin. Having used Canon, I understand what I used. But from scratch, I would feel comfortable with either one.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,535 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by mystik610.

Nov 22, 2017 19:19 |  #198

The a7rIII is definitely worth throwing into the mix now that's been announced. It operationally can go toe-to-toe with both the 5D and D850, the sensor is great, and there are notable upsides (i.e. eye AF, no microfocus issues, IBIS etc.). Plus their Pro Services is proving to be top notch too.

One upside to the a7 bodies is that there isn't a need to have a secondary compact system for casual use.....mount a large lens to an a7 body and its still a big camera, but mount a smaller prime onto the body and you have a nice compact set-up too.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,420 posts
Gallery: 326 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 26, 2017 13:34 |  #199

The a7riii and a9 give photographers far less reasons to consider Sony. Perhaps maximum durability and maximum write speeds are the only Achilles heel left to nit pick over in terms of what the bodies offer.

For those who want CP's-level service, that is coming.

The ability to get top-notch AF from A, EF, FL and FE glass is a pretty underrated plus for the A9 and a7riii. Feel like packing a bag with both an 85 1.2L and a 105 f1. 4, but only want to pack one body? You can do it, and do it stabilized!

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

elitejp
Goldmember
1,550 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 26, 2017 17:57 |  #200

I think you mean "far more reason"

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by mdvaden.

Dec 03, 2017 19:01 |  #201

elitejp wrote in post #18504689 (external link)
I think you mean "far more reason"

Although I'm hearing about more photographers ditching Sony and returning to Canon or Nikon, the "far more reason" you suggested seems more like what I'd expect to hear.

I can't think of far less reason to consider Sony.

The only thing that comes to mind, would be the most recent models not overcoming a few hurdles a few consumers were hopeful for.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Canon-Chas
223 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 22, 2017 10:02 |  #202

D850 all the way. Silent shutter option and can handle high ISO.

The 5Dmk4 has no silent shutter option and isn't that good at high ISO -- 3200+

I have the 5DMK4 and it can be a struggle for wildlife that's not lit up with the sun !, Its good for cropping in which is a bonus :-)

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.uk (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,716 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Dec 22, 2017 14:11 |  #203

Canon-Chas wrote in post #18523985 (external link)
D850 all the way. Silent shutter option.

The 5Dmk4 has no silent shutter option . . .

A completely silent shutter option would be most valuable for some of my wildlife photography attempts.

D850 all the way . . . can handle high ISO.

The 5Dmk4 isn't that good at high ISO -- 3200+

I have the 5DMK4 and it can be a struggle for wildlife that's not lit up with the sun !

I limit my photography to 1600 ISO, and have no trouble properly capturing wildlife in overcast conditions. . In fact, I would guesstimate that over 50 of all my wildlife photography takes place when there is no direct sunlight - either early in the morning before the sun comes up, late in the evening after sunset, or on completely overcast days. . I can't understand why someone thinks they need ISO 3200 and above for such photography. . It would help at certain times, but much of the time, there is no need to "struggle" at less than 3200 ISO.

I currently use a Canon 1D Mark 4, and I think that the 5D4 would be a huge improvement, but many times the 1D4 and 1600 ISO is just fine, even in cloudy conditions. . If you are struggling to capture quality wildlife photos with your 5D4, perhaps you need to re-evaluate the type of shooting you are attempting to do, and what your exposure triangle priorities are.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pigpen101
236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Dec 22, 2017 16:51 |  #204

D850 all the way. Silent shutter option and can handle high ISO.

The 5Dmk4 has no silent shutter option and isn't that good at high ISO -- 3200+

I have the 5DMK4 and it can be a struggle for wildlife that's not lit up with the sun !, Its good for cropping in which is a bonus :-)

I used to think no shutter noise wouldn't be at the top of my list of "accessories". That has changed since this summer. I was covering a PGA event in Ohio this summer & started talking to a shooter for USA Today. He was using a mirror less, I think it was Olympus?? First of all, 18 fps!!!!!! At what point are you just shooting video?? :-) But his ability to photograph the golfers in their backswing is what really got my attention.

aezoss
354 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 22, 2017 17:50 |  #205

Came across this 5D4 v D850 v others comparison tonight. The high ISO tests may be of interest.
Subject is girl in a bathrobe, completely covered. May not be SFW.

http://www.streetsilho​uettes.com …r-comparison-of-5-cameras (external link)

Lee

Canon-Chas
223 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by Canon-Chas. (2 edits in all)

Dec 23, 2017 09:31 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #206

I tend to photograph difficult subjects Tom, my latest project was Goshawk in west of Scotland. This is a rare and extremely cautious woodland bird which is very difficult to get close to, even with a hide. My 1DX is too noisy for this bird at 15 metres in a woodland hide unless there is a strong wind to mask the "silent" single shot shutter. I got the 5D MK4 as it has silent continuous shutter option and the files are 50% bigger (30 MP) which means I can crop more and still have an A3 size image. Shutter speeds when the Goshawk is feeding needs at least 1/250 using my 300 f2.8 mk2 + 1.4 TC ...420mm , so even at 1/200 f4, ISO 2000+ is needed to expose correctly. I shoot in Manual with ISO set to auto and try to avoid >2500 iso, but with no sunlight except for a rare shaft of light breaking through things are difficult to say the least once the Goshawk starts moving . Other than that most of my wildlife pics are in good light .
What I really need is a Canon Silent shutter full frame Camera , hopefully Canon will catch up with the competition ! My 1DX could easily handle iso 6400 , but it's a trade off with larger 5d mk4 files. I have a friend in Wales who has photographed Goshawk and he has had to go as low as 1/8 shutter speed ! The lowest I have managed is 1/40 when the Goshawk froze for 10 seconds as he watched his larger mate in the tree above :-)

Goshawk below

Canon 5D MK4, 300mm F2.8 MK2 +1.4 TC ...420mm
1/160
f5.6
ISO 3200 ( Noise reduction , Topaz Denoise)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.uk (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,642 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 23, 2017 21:00 |  #207

I went the Nikon route and am really enjoying the D850 and new Nikon glass.

Still find it weird not owning a Canon body nor any Canon glass.

Cheers,
Bear Dale
Some of my photos featured Bear Dale (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,716 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 23, 2017 21:50 |  #208

fotoworx wrote in post #18525086 (external link)
I went the Nikon route and am really enjoying the D850 and new Nikon glass.

Still find it weird not owning a Canon body nor any Canon glass.

Does high ISO noise performance and dynamic range matter to you, or was it something else that caused you to switch over to Nikon?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 23, 2017 22:20 |  #209

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18525132 (external link)
Does high ISO noise performance and dynamic range matter to you, or was it something else that caused you to switch over to Nikon?

If I was in his position there would be little to zero reason to go with canon over the D850. Canon has nothing that even competes with it.

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Dec 23, 2017 23:51 |  #210

isn't that good at high ISO -- 3200+

I find this comment odd.

you're definition of good must be much different to mine.

sponsored links

17,014 views & 219 likes for this thread
You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.