Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 20 Nov 2017 (Monday) 21:01
Prev/next

Photo locations

inwardphoto
Joined Apr 2012
Little Rock, AR
Nov 20, 2017 21:01 |  #1

I see all these fantastic locations that people are using for photos. Sometimes I feel like i'm living in a time warp or something, because for the life of me I 'can't seem to find comparable like locations.

I've used some high end hotels, and I was able to so a shoot using grand staircase in one of them, but they wanted $$$$. (the going rate to using it for wedding photos). I walk around with my iPhone all the time looking for locations to collect location info but I'm still running dry.

Not sure if it's just where I am or if I'm just not seeing things.

So my question is, how do you guys find these locations for the glamour/nude photo shoots/

Canon EOS 80D | Fujifilm X100F | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 35mm F1.4L II USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM |

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,228 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Nov 21, 2017 09:13 |  #2

Location scouting is not easy. I gave up on hotels a long time ago. Check out rental houses in your area AirBnB or VRBO. Locations like that cost a chunk of change so you either have the model chip in to cover, book shoots all day in the same location or get another photographer to go in on it with you. Another option is to reach out to people you know if they have a great location and just ask.

Outdoor locations are a bit harder to come by if your shooting sets with nudity. The key to that is getting out to it early or late and if at all possible a weekday for most locations. We just shot on Mt. Hood in a very popular snow play area. In order to shoot with nudity we had to be at the location just after sunrise, within an hour and a half the park started filling up and we moved onto location 2 which was not as idea but still not populated with people. We have shot full nudity in the streets of Downtown Portland, we do this without a ton of gear, a brave model and a lookout person :) Other locations require us to travel a good distance, there is a dry lake bed that a good 8-9 hours from Portland that we have traveled to a few times, locations like you could have a dozen models running around naked and there is no one else around.

Lastly creativity is a huge part. I like to shoot models with large vistas around them so I need great landscapes, however if your shooting without much around the model you dont need grand vistas you need a very small area, a door frame, a portion of a wall, a patch of trees in a park.

charlemagne
Joined Feb 2011
Ronse - Belgium
Dec 01, 2017 13:29 |  #3

Hi Craig,
have you seen this one?
http://www.ludwigdesme​t.com ...ocation-shoot-with-karen/ (external link)

I recommend talking to people, to owners of beautiful houses, private property in general, ... you might get lucky one day,

Ludwig

ludwig
ludwig desmet - beauty and fine art photography (external link)

albemarledesigner
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Concord, NC
Dec 23, 2017 17:35 |  #4

Absolutely, a lot of times, all you have to do is ask. You have to be creative and willing to go out on a limb, but most of the time, it pays off. Also, ask your models.....many of them are excellent sources of information about locations.

426 views & 1 like for this thread
Photo locations
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.