Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Warning about the "Add Cropping Information" feature...

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,521 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by jra.

Dec 23, 2017 10:23 |  #1

The other day I needed to shoot some photos that would be used at a 4x5 aspect ratio. I was shooting with a 5DIII and I decided to use the "Add Cropping Information" feature for the first time. Initially I thought it was awesome to have the guidelines right there on the screen to ensure I was leaving enough room for the crop. I assumed they were only guidelines and re-adjusting the crop would be a simple task in ACR once I was finished (the image preview on the back of the camera even shows the entire 2x3 photo with 4x5 guidelines drawn in). The bad news is that Adobe Bridge/PS/ACR will only display and allow you to work with the image as it was cropped in camera so dragging the crop up or down for more precise framing is impossible. As far as I can tell, there's no simple fix for this issue (I did see a beta Lightroom plug in that claims to recover the lost cropping information after converting them to .dng files, but I do not have nor use Lightroom). It amazes me that Adobe has decided to have their software operate in such a manner with RAW files.

On the good side of the equation, DPP does exactly what I assumed ACR would do. I can open the file in DPP, go to the crop tool and see the entire photo and adjust the crop as needed but, even when you adjust the crop in DPP and re-save as a .CR2 file, Adobe software will not recognize the cropping change and still will only display the original camera crop. The files need to be exported into a different format in DPP after adjusting the crop (for instance, a TIFF), only then will Adobe software acknowledge the new crop. Personally, I prefer to work with my .CR2 files in ACR, so if anyone knows a work around that I may have missed in my google searches, please enlighten me. From my point of view, it seems Adobe dropped the ball with this. It makes no sense to me why they would chose to make the software operate in this fashion.

Anyhow, I figured I would post this up as a warning to anyone else who uses Adobe software that may attempt to use the in camera cropping information feature as well as hopefully have someone chime in with an easy fix.

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 23, 2017 11:02 |  #2

Maybe you can use an EXIF editor to change a tag related to the crop. Do you mind posting an example CR2 file (Dropbox or whatever)?

kirk

Kirk
---

jra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,521 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 23, 2017 11:41 |  #3

https://www.dropbox.co​m …6tVrnEPILyrMxgC​1LvZa?dl=0 (external link)

No problem at all. I've attached a link to a generic test image that will show the issue. I'm not familiar with using an exif editor so if you figure out a way to do it, please share. Thanks!

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by kirkt. (7 edits in all)

Dec 23, 2017 22:16 |  #4

The Canon crop tags in the EXIF data are described here:

https://www.sno.phy.qu​eensu.ca …Names/Canon.htm​l#CropInfo (external link)

Your image has cropped dimensions in the exif tags:

Cropped Image Width : 4800
Cropped Image Height : 3840
Cropped Image Left : 480
Cropped Image Top : 0

You can use exiftool to reset them:

exiftool -CroppedImageWidth=5760 -CroppedImageHeight=384​0 -CroppedImageLeft=0 <filename.CR2>

where the original, uncropped dimensions of a 5DIII image are 5760 x 3840. The image is rotated so the width and height are portrait orientation. There is an Aspect Ratio tag, but I am not quite sure how to manipulate it, so I went with brute force.

Do this on a copy of the raw file so that the original is preserved. The images in the below screenshot were opened in ACR into Photoshop.

If you need to do this on a batch of images, then make a duplicate of all of your images (into another directory) and run the above command while in the duplicate directory with <*.CR2> as the filename - it will run the command on all of the files with the extension .CR2.

There may be a GUI version of an exif editor for your OS that will make this a little easier if you are not familiar with the command line.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kirk
---

jra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,521 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 26, 2017 15:42 |  #5

Thanks kirkt! I've downloaded the exiftool and am trying to familiarize myself with the working of it. I appreciate you taking the time to post a work around.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 26, 2017 16:09 |  #6

You’re welcome. Good luck!

Kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

1,461 views & 2 likes for this thread
Warning about the "Add Cropping Information" feature...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.