Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 27 Dec 2017 (Wednesday) 07:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Intel Optane 900p SSD

griesmonkey
Joined Jan 2013
Columbus, OH
Dec 27, 2017 07:25 |  #1

With this new SSD drive out and the IOPs it has over anything else, what performance benefits would it have for Lightroom and Photoshop CC?

https://www.pcworld.co​m ...ntel-ssd-900p-review.html (external link)

https://www.intel.com ...s/optane-900p-series.html (external link)

I'm currently building a PC and the HDD is what I want to maximize my money on for performance. Currently have an i5 8600k with an MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX board. From a durability standpoint, the Intel Optane is superior. Storage per $ is very high though. Wondering if I should just stick to the Samsung EVO drives. Money always matters but can the Optane be justified for Lightroom use?

Thanks,
Mike

Canon 7D Mark II - Sigma 50-150 OS - Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - Canon 10-18mm

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,028 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dec 27, 2017 08:39 |  #2

If you see where your benchmark scores show that the Optane shines is small file size read: in other categories, NVM SSDs can do well with the M.2 architecture. Lightroom and PS are doing a lot of mixed tasks, so I would think the M.2 Samsung Evo is just as capable and is a better value. At the end of the review, the authors say that while the 900p hasn't reached DRAM like speeds, Intel is advertising it as being extremely durable. Seems like it is being marketed for business workstation type applications.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

griesmonkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2013
Columbus, OH
Dec 27, 2017 09:29 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #3

Thats kind of what I thought looking at all the bench mark test results. I had mixed feelings on overall need for the Optane vs EVO. I can also get more $ per gig with EVO as well. Shouldn't see a need to go the Optane route just yet. Maybe an upgrade later on.

Canon 7D Mark II - Sigma 50-150 OS - Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - Canon 10-18mm

tim
Light Bringer
50,880 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Dec 28, 2017 17:48 |  #4

Looks like a waste of money for PCs. Database servers and such might benefit from it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

286 views & 0 likes for this thread
Intel Optane 900p SSD
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.