Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 15 Dec 2017 (Friday) 18:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New Home Studio Advice?

HelenOster
That's me!
4,372 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Dec 21, 2017 12:34 |  #31

Wilt wrote in post #18522495 (external link)
It sounds like Helen Oster is whetting our appetite about Adorama extending support for their Flashpoint brand to some (not yet existent) type of 'service' provided beyond initial warranty and beyond the optional 'New Leaf' warranty

Component-level service has not really existed for decades, but rather replacement of an entire module/PCB that contains the failed component. With integrated circuits embedded in the design, it is far too time consuming and difficult to find and replace a component, unlike many decades ago when a transistor or resister or capacitor or diode could be found to be the failed component. Now, replacement flash tube or hot foot or entire circuit board is the extent of repairs in most cases.]

But at the moment, if a flash falls and breaks its flashtube, your only choice (in the case of non-supported flash units with no service locations) is which trash can to throw it into...unless you can guess where to buy a flashtube with matching voltage and power capacity and form factor to risk DIY

There is another option, currently; at the end of the warranty period you can get the option of a brand new replacement at a good discount, because there isn't (yet.....) the option to pay for repairs/servicing. You only need email brands@adorama.com for help with this.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,596 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Dec 21, 2017 12:46 |  #32

Helen, good news and you guys have a wonderful Holidays and a Happy New yr.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

soeren
64 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Dec 21, 2017 12:59 |  #33

Nogo wrote in post #18522523 (external link)
Your post seems to suggest that one can not obtain Flashpoint flash tubes outside of the warranty period. Just in case someone reads this and misunderstands, anyone in their market area can buy Flashpoint (Godox, and other Godox rebranded) flash tubes from Adorama. Flashpoint flash tubes and lamps. (external link)

And Ofcource some can be bought through Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com ...n%3A3348231%2Cp_4%3​AGodox (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 21, 2017 16:03 |  #34

Angmo wrote in post #18522482 (external link)
Repair these days are component swaps.

Board swap level stuff. No one fixes boards these days. Much cheaper to swap out the component.

Its been like that for a long time.
Replace board, capacitor, etc. If it weren't for the soldering Its almost something that we could do at home. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Aks6674
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2016
Dallas, Tx. USA
Dec 23, 2017 10:59 |  #35

UPDATE: New Flashpoint is here and set up, and I'm learning how little I know about lighting. ;-)a

Here's the first shot in the new 'studio' (really it's just a backdrop and a couple of light stands so far). Go easy on the model, genetics can't be helped.

Thanks again all, really appreciate the help.

- Aaron

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,388 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 23, 2017 11:41 |  #36

HelenOster wrote in post #18523349 (external link)
There is another option, currently; at the end of the warranty period you can get the option of a brand new replacement at a good discount, because there isn't (yet.....) the option to pay for repairs/servicing. You only need email brands@adorama.com for help with this.

Yes, I actually mentioned in post 20 "can purchase a 'New Leaf' warranty to support your Flashpoint purchase outside of Adorama's own warranty period."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

HelenOster
That's me!
4,372 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Dec 23, 2017 12:31 |  #37

Wilt wrote in post #18524709 (external link)
Yes, I actually mentioned in post 20 "can purchase a 'New Leaf' warranty to support your Flashpoint purchase outside of Adorama's own warranty period."

This isn't the same thing....

Helen@adorama.com

Wilt
39,388 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 23, 2017 12:33 |  #38

HelenOster wrote in post #18524742 (external link)
This isn't the same thing....

I do not have first hand knowledge of 'New Leaf' but read about it in another person's post in which Adorama was mentioned.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Dec 23, 2017 13:22 |  #39

Aks6674 wrote in post #18524663 (external link)
UPDATE: New Flashpoint is here and set up, and I'm learning how little I know about lighting. ;-)a

Here's the first shot in the new 'studio' (really it's just a backdrop and a couple of light stands so far). Go easy on the model, genetics can't be helped.

Thanks again all, really appreciate the help.

- Aaron

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Aks6674 in
./showthread.php?p=185​24663&i=i206948814
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

Lighting suggestion:
They eyes are kind of dark. The under nose shadow and catchlights suggest that a single light above the camera was used.
When using that kind of lighting one has to get a low fill into the shadows under eye brows and chin.
I like to have a big soft fill right next to the camera. Use the main light to create the shadow/highlight flow on the face, body. Then use the fill to keep the shadows under control.
Good portrait lighting is a skill that requires practice and then more practice. Lots of good stuff on YouTube to help learn the techniques.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,372 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Dec 24, 2017 05:26 |  #40

Wilt wrote in post #18524744 (external link)
I do not have first hand knowledge of 'New Leaf' but read about it in another person's post in which Adorama was mentioned.

New Leaf is an independent warranty company which offers extended warranties for pretty much everything we sell. However, we have no financial interest in this company.

We supply the regular warranty for our own brands, such as Glow, Flashpoint and Orlit. At the end of the regular warranty period, if you experience an issue which we wouldn't normally expect to occur to the gear when used under 'normal' conditions - and you haven't purchased a New Leaf extended warranty or any other extended warranty - we will make every effort to offer the opportunity to purchase a brand new item at a favorable discount.

Helen@adorama.com

Wilt
39,388 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 25, 2017 14:24 |  #41

HelenOster wrote in post #18525228 (external link)
New Leaf is an independent warranty company which offers extended warranties for pretty much everything we sell. However, we have no financial interest in this company.

We supply the regular warranty for our own brands, such as Glow, Flashpoint and Orlit. At the end of the regular warranty period, if you experience an issue which we wouldn't normally expect to occur to the gear when used under 'normal' conditions - and you haven't purchased a New Leaf extended warranty or any other extended warranty - we will make every effort to offer the opportunity to purchase a brand new item at a favorable discount.

Instills a greater degree of confidence among the buyers, that there is something more behind the commitment than purely ROI of the retailer!

Aks6674
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2016
Dallas, Tx. USA
Dec 28, 2017 11:28 |  #42

Second try - this time with reflector in place to lighten the shadows a bit. I'm going for a sort of dramatic effect here with the overhead light, but agree that the first was probably too shadowed. Hopefully I'll get enough self-practice in that I can get someone else under the light soon.

HOSTED PHOTO

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

RicoTudor
508 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Post has been edited 21 days ago by RicoTudor.
Dec 28, 2017 15:11 |  #43

Aks6674 wrote in post #18527976 (external link)
Second try - this time with reflector in place to lighten the shadows a bit. I'm going for a sort of dramatic effect here with the overhead light, but agree that the first was probably too shadowed. Hopefully I'll get enough self-practice in that I can get someone else under the light soon.

I'm not a fan of raccoon eyes, so balance looks better here. White point should be moved up a bunch. You can create one-light drama by bringing down the key light to fill the eyes: plenty of hard shadows remain. :)

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

Aks6674
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2016
Dallas, Tx. USA
Dec 28, 2017 23:33 as a reply to RicoTudor's post |  #44

Thanks so much for the C&C, will keep at it.

Aks6674
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2016
Dallas, Tx. USA
9 hours ago |  #45

Found another victim...

HOSTED PHOTO

"Can't list equipment, wife checks here to see what I have bought lately" (calicokat)

sponsored links

4,347 views & 17 likes for this thread
New Home Studio Advice?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.