Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk 
Thread started 21 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 10:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lighting Question

2 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Dec 21, 2017 10:40 |  #1

What are the best options for lighting yoga poses? I did try with my off camera flashes and triggers but my old Metz unit was just taking to long to cycle. There is AC power available and I had thought about some cheap fluorescent fixtures but read about the flicker and color problems. Is Tungsten a good option or LED. I need to light a full length body from the side so assume a minimum of two sources.

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,011 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Dec 21, 2017 11:27 |  #2

You planning to use a modifier? What kind?

Even lighting? "Dramatic" lighting?

What kind of recycle time do you need?

Money to burn? Or keep in in a certain budget?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

2 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Dec 21, 2017 12:34 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #3

I was trying to stay on a budget and use a constant lighting. I have a couple of umbrellas.

dumb remark memorialized
28,977 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Dec 21, 2017 19:26 |  #4

In order to achieve shutter speeds high enough to freeze motion you will need awfully powerful lights. Enough light to make your subject uncomfortable. Flash is really your best option here.

"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,174 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Dec 21, 2017 20:54 |  #5

https://strobist.blogs​​ng-101.html?m=1 (external link)

Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,993 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)
Dec 21, 2017 21:22 |  #6

Depending upon which Metz you have, there are battery packs which will recycle a flash from full power discharge in 2 sec.

AC powered studio strobes will need about 1 sec. to recycle from full power discharge.

It takes a lot of fluorescent to equal the light output from a single 500W photoflood (which is very hot as well as bright) that produces 13k lumens, or a 250w halogen modelling light (4k lumens)...there are 65W CFL which claim to output 4k lumens.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Cream of the Crop
5,452 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by nathancarter.
Dec 26, 2017 14:30 |  #7

Having photographed people with both continuous studio lighting and strobe lighting, I would not recommend continuous lighting for studio shoots.

If you're investing in more equipment, a set of inexpensive AC-powered studio strobes with appropriate modifier(s) and wireless trigger would be a great idea. Get a set that has modeling lights so you can make sure the shadows are going where you want them.

You can get fine results with a single studio light and a medium- or large-sized softbox; if you absolutely must have side lighting, then two studio strobes with strip boxes.

Links for a very inexpensive start:

These have Bowens mount:​m/fplfs300b.html (external link)

The R2 transmitter to make them work:​m/fprrr2tc.html (external link)

Huge softbox:
https://www.bhphotovid​ …32x48_ez_pro_so​ftbox.html (external link)

Strip box with Bowens mount:
https://www.bhphotovid​ …s_12x56_ez_pro_​strip.html (external link)

You'll also need stands, maybe a boom, little bit of extra grip gear like sandbags and a drop pin and safety wire.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Douglas ­ Conway
223 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Dec 31, 2017 07:19 |  #8

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I took the advice and picked up two Godox 600 lights and a Godox 120 deep octo softbox. I already have a beauty dish and a couple of umbrellas.
Will try out this Tuesday shoot yoga poses.

sponsored links

366 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lighting Question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk 
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.