Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 30 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 22:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Horizontal vs vertical field of view - focal length?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,576 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 30, 2017 22:42 |  #1

Bit of a weird random thought recently but I assume it has to be easy to explain through math, which I can't think of right now.

Assume I am using a 16mm lens on a full frame camera in landscape orientation - any way to know what equivalent focal length would capture the same vertical field of view?

Found myself shooting more zoomed-in and telephoto panoramic landscapes and just wondering if there's an easy enough formula to calculate equivalent coverage at different focal lengths

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 30, 2017 22:58 |  #2

What is capture horizontally with a lens will be 1.5X the dimension of what your APS-C or FF digital camera (but not 4/3 format) will capture vertically.

1. So with 50mm mount on FF, at 10' distance it captures 7.08' horizontally. But to capture 7.08' vertically would need a 30.5mm lens to be mounted, so it is not a simple 50mm / 1.5 computation as you might think.
  2. OTOH, if we start with 24mm at 10' it captures 14'9' horizontally. And to capture 14.9' vertically does take 16mm (24mm / 1.5)
  3. Continuing that line of thinking, 20mm at 10' captures 17.9' horizontally. And to capture 17.9' vertically does take 13.3mm.

Go figure, why case 2 and 3 does it work to FL/1.5, but not case 1?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,962 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 31, 2017 01:27 |  #3

Wilt, my guess is that something is wrong with your first calculation; X/1.5 should work in any/every case. Even if X/1.63 is the answer here, the discrepancy is so small nobody will ever notice it.

Tom

Ramon-uk
Joined Mar 2006
Dec 31, 2017 05:39 |  #4

There is no difference in the calculation for horizontal or vertical, you use the same multiplier.
The lens actually transmits a circular image and the camera crops it to a rectangle.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,962 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Bassat.
Dec 31, 2017 06:17 as a reply to Ramon-uk's post |  #5

Which has nothing to do with the question at hand. The 3:2 (1.5) comes from the aspect ratio of the sensor.

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Dec 31, 2017 06:44 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #18529830 (external link)
What is capture horizontally with a lens will be 1.5X the dimension of what your APS-C or FF digital camera (but not 4/3 format) will capture vertically.

1. So with 50mm mount on FF, at 10' distance it captures 7.08' horizontally. But to capture 7.08' vertically would need a 30.5mm lens to be mounted, so it is not a simple 50mm / 1.5 computation as you might think.
  2. OTOH, if we start with 24mm at 10' it captures 14'9' horizontally. And to capture 14.9' vertically does take 16mm (24mm / 1.5)
  3. Continuing that line of thinking, 20mm at 10' captures 17.9' horizontally. And to capture 17.9' vertically does take 13.3mm.

If focal length and angle of view are not "linear" then using a constant factor of 1.5 would not always work.

I've never looked into it, but it seems a reasonable explanation.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Dec 31, 2017 09:02 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #18529830 (external link)

Because, as usual, your math is wrong. The correct horizontal field of view for a 50mm at 10' is 7.2'.

Don't take this the wrong way, because I generally enjoy your posts, but as soon as you start using math to explain something I've learned to just skip on ahead. You have a pretty strong track record of basic math errors. Just the fact that you could come up with FL/1.5 as the correct answer in 2 out of 3 cases and then fail to recognize that the 3rd case is clearly a math error on your part is pretty strong evidence as to why any numbers you provide should automatically be regarded as suspect.

Anyway, anyone that wants to play around with the numbers without running the risk of making any math errors can use this FoV calculator here: http://www.bobatkins.c​om ...hnical/field_of_vie​w.html (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,031 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dec 31, 2017 09:22 as a reply to ShadowHillsPhoto's post |  #8

Doesn't seem you have to use complicated math for the OP's question. It's simple relational aspect ratio. If we do use your source, we find the equivalent vertical FOV for 50mm FF at 10' is 33.33mm FF at 10'. This is the same as using proportions:

2/3 = x/50 : 33.3
2/3 = x/24 : 16
2/3 = x/20 : 13.33

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Dec 31, 2017 09:35 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #9

Yeah, I know. And yet...

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Dec 31, 2017 13:24 |  #10

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18529979 (external link)
Because, as usual, your math is wrong. The correct horizontal field of view for a 50mm at 10' is 7.2'...You have a pretty strong track record of basic math errors.

Forgive me sir for using a program -- not math -- to calculate the FOV (fcalc v1.14, 2005 by Tangentsoft).
My math is not wrong, but your supposition of my use of math for FOV calculation is sorely wrong.
Lighten up and do not be automatically so abrasive, it will get you farther in the world with less antagonistic responses from others.

You COULD try to answer the OP, with lens FL, rather than merely pointing out my errors.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

T.D.
33,533 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Dec 31, 2017 20:59 |  #11

Folks, let's stick to the issue and knock off the personal bickering. Remember the rule: "Don't be a jerk."

T.D.

Gear List
Take a picture, it lasts longerexternal link
(My Gallery)external link

sponsored links

858 views & 6 likes for this thread
Horizontal vs vertical field of view - focal length?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.