Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox X1 system integration thread

Lotto
Goldmember
2,608 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 21, 2017 17:32 |  #1426

inkista wrote in post #18523626 (external link)
AD200's v2.1 firmware went up today! (external link) (Dec 21, 2017). Description says: "To add the option of wireless ID(C.Fn-F7)".

You beat me to it :)

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

sponsored links
jay125
Nothing about me is regular.
10,400 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 21, 2017 23:01 |  #1427

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18522961 (external link)
thanks,
It turns out I don't have an issue. The weird lack of backlight goes away when I actually put it back on the camera! (I wondered why I had missed it the first time out)

Glad it worked out for you! I'll make a mental note of this for future reference. :-)

feedback

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,194 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 21, 2017 23:48 |  #1428

I felt a little silly to be sure.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

inkista
544 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 22, 2017 00:57 |  #1429

Lotto wrote in post #18523628 (external link)
You beat me to it :)

Yeah, but you posted it where everyone else can find it. :D

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

SereneSpeed
785 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 31, 2017 13:58 |  #1430

I really want the v860ii-c’s to work for me. But, I am getting inconsistent ETTL exposures - somewhat randomly.

Most of the time they work great, but every once is a while they just WAY overexpose.

I think it has been limited to the eTTL master (radio) mode.

I am using a 5D4 and the v860ii’s have firmware V1.5

Anyone else having issues?

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com/blog/ (external link) - Latest Blog Post!
https://www.instagram.​com/unabashed_beauty (external link)nsfw
https://www.instagram.​com/danbcreative (external link)new brand
https://www.instagram.​com/photography.on.the​.bay (external link)new 'side project'
https://www.instagram.​com/danielmwbuehler (external link)
http://danielb.photogr​aphy (external link)

SereneSpeed
785 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by SereneSpeed.

Dec 31, 2017 15:12 as a reply to  @ SereneSpeed's post |  #1431

It seems that if I use an 860ii to control an 860ii, I get overexposed images. When I use the 860ii to control my AD200’s I have no problems...

The overexposure seems to happen when I use group mode.

As soon as the second 860ii is controlled in a group other than A (and in TTL), using the group mode, I have problems.

I would be very appreciative of anyone who has the gear to test this out and confirm that they have the same results.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com/blog/ (external link) - Latest Blog Post!
https://www.instagram.​com/unabashed_beauty (external link)nsfw
https://www.instagram.​com/danbcreative (external link)new brand
https://www.instagram.​com/photography.on.the​.bay (external link)new 'side project'
https://www.instagram.​com/danielmwbuehler (external link)
http://danielb.photogr​aphy (external link)

Lotto
Goldmember
2,608 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 31, 2017 23:06 |  #1432

I have a 5D4 and one 860II, and have no problem triggering a AD200 in GR and TTL.

I also have an old 580EX with X1R, which is not fully compatible with the X1 system. With the 860 as the trigger in group TTL mode, the 580EX would overexpose about 2 stops. But with the X1T or Xpro as the trigger, the TTL exposures are in the ball park.

So I can't confirm the same issue you have, but the 860II triggering is some how different from X1T.

Or we both missed a setting somewhere.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

inkista
544 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 11, 2018 19:10 |  #1433

How much control does an X1R receiver give you when used cross-brand with a different "flavor" transmitter? For example, using a 580EXII on an X1R-C but with an XPro-F on a Fuji camera?

Given that the X1R-C/-N never received firmware updates to make them compatible with the introduction of the -S, -O, or -F gear, I assume that TTL doesn't work, but does HSS or power control? Or is it a manual-only receiver?

I have a TT350-O, and was surprised to find out it didn't do cross-brand TTL from an XPro-C on my 5Dii, like a TT685-O and V860II-O would (I was told the Mini doesn't do cross-brand TTL via email with brands@adorama.com). But I do get M-mode power control, HSS, and sync. So, I got curious about whether the X1R receivers work cross-brand the same way or not.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
271 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Feb 11, 2018 21:41 |  #1434

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18530266 (external link)
I really want the v860ii-c’s to work for me. But, I am getting inconsistent ETTL exposures - somewhat randomly.

Most of the time they work great, but every once is a while they just WAY overexpose.

I think it has been limited to the eTTL master (radio) mode.

I am using a 5D4 and the v860ii’s have firmware V1.5

Anyone else having issues?

Yes.

I haven't yet done methodical testing yet, but I recently started using a 5D4 with my Godox flashes and immediately saw problems with significant overexposure. Normally I'd wait until I did more tests and could say something more definitive, but I just saw Serene Speed's post and wanted to chime in.

At very least, I have seen consistent (~+2EV) overexposure when using the following setup:

5D4 (fw. 1.0.4)
V860II-C (fw. v.1.7) as on-camera trigger, radio Master Gr mode
AD200 (fw. v. 2.0) slave, group B

- Group A (the triggering V860II-C) set to TTL -1.5
- Group B (AD200) set to TTL @ +/- 0 (nominal)
- other groups off

I have often used this basic setup with 5D3 bodies without issue, so it seems that this is problem is related to differences between the 5D3 and 5D4's TTL communications.

I was still able to use this combo by dialing in -2 EV FEC (flash exposure compensation) on the 5D4, but of course this isn't ideal.

Although I haven't done careful testing, so far I have only seen this large (~+2EV) error when using a 5D4 and V860II-C as on-camera trigger. I *think* I've shot with the XPro and the 5D4 without seeing this issue, but I really need to take an evening and sort out what's going on.

I guess I was kinda hoping a new firmware would appear and fix this stuff before I had to get out all the gear...

Question: Is there anyone using a 5D4 with a V860II-C on camera in radio master Group mode and getting normal (ballpark) exposures?

Owen.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,169 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Feb 12, 2018 06:41 |  #1435

cory1848 wrote in post #18042633 (external link)
Hey Guys,
Hoping someone can help me figure this out. I have two transmitter and receiver sets. One Godox branded and the other Flashpoint R2 branded.

What I am trying to do is remotely fire my 50D from my 5D3. I shoot endurance sports event (marathons, triathlons, etc) and need both cameras to fire at different angles. Receiver hooked up to 50D using test button works as it should. I can then use the transmitter test button and fires as it should on high speed shutter. Once I attach the transmitter to the 5D3 hotshoe and try to fire using the camera in high speed mode, it missed a lot. It will not fire at a continuous burst and sometimes won't fire at all. The LED lights up on the receiver and blinks with every shutter accuation of the 5D3 but the 50D won't follow it. Using test button on transmitter when attached to 5D3 hotshoe, it fires like it should.

What I see that is different is that the LED on the receiver blinks at every shutter click on the 5D3. But with only using the test button, it stays solid red while firing at high speed.

Any idea what would be causing the misfires? I was really hoping to use this set up for this rather than go back to dummy triggers. I would like to incorporate my 360II into this as well.

I have seen some set ups where a cable is used while on the hotshoe to the transmitter but I believe that is only for flash sync... Should I be looking at that as well?

Thanks

I would like to do the same thing. I cannot imagine that it would be that difficult to have a setting on the receiver that would allow you to either fire a flash, or fire a shutter. This is very useful for sports shooting. I could get 2 Pocketwizard plusx units and a cable, or I could continue to use the X1 units for everything, flash and remote shutters. I would have to actually buy more X1 if this mode was supported.

I will most likely get the RF-605 units and just go with those, together they are priced under just the x1r price, but I had hoped to stay with all Godox units. :(

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,194 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (3 edits in all)

Feb 12, 2018 10:07 |  #1436

I wonder at this lack of functionality in the X system as well.

The Godox solution is the Cells II. They were made with shutter control in mind. (and also handle flash triggering fine) Not at all sure why this isn't integrated into "X" system, but on the other hand, the Cells II are dirt cheap, work just like the old "classic PW" and I find there is in fact a certain advantage to keeping the flash triggering gear and camera shutter gear separate. Cells II comes with cables.

They are on the old 433Mhz.

It does mean two dongles, but i find I like to trigger remote camera separately often enough.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,194 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 12, 2018 10:10 |  #1437

Hmm, they seem to have gotten more expensive since last I bought them;

https://smile.amazon.c​om …TF8&qid=1518451​512&sr=8-3 (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,169 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. (9 edits in all)

Feb 12, 2018 10:54 |  #1438

And their spelling has become more atrocious as well... ;)

Godox Cells II Kit(2pcs) 1/8000 Sync Speed All-in-One Wireless Remote Ettl Ttl Flash Trigger Canon with Trigger Reveiver and Transmitter also As Wireless Shutter Release for Canon EOS DRSL Camera Connet Studio Strobe Monolight Flash Speedlite and Neewer/Godox V850, V860,Ad360 Ad180

$33 is all that is needed to get a Yongnuo Tx/Rx RF-605 with cables, so I am going to try that out. It is such a simple thing for the X1R to have this feature, it has both the support for knowing that a flash was fired, as well as supporting the test button sending over a shutter. One could bridge to the other if they wanted. Oh well... :(

Video on the RF-605 to show the ease of the YN units.

I am probably in trouble if I want both flash and remote cameras firing, especially if I want to stay with Godox for lights, they won't be sync'd up.

mike1812
308 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 12, 2018 17:39 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #1439

You guys have a lot more practical experience than me with this system (I'm brand new to the Godox/Flashpoint system), but I just read through the manual. As I read it, the camera trigger function is not designed to be fired from a hotshoe mounted trigger but rather by pressing the "test" button on the trigger. Of course, that could be poor writing (I'm reading the Flashpoint version of the user manual) but I'm interpreting that as you should have receivers on all cameras you wish to fire and use the trigger's test button to fire them. Especially because pressing half way causes it to focus, then fully activates the shutter. I wouldn't think that being triggered by the hotshoe would actually cause the same effect (focus and shutter release). Perhaps mounting a receiver in both cameras and triggering by the transmitter's test button works better? Sorry if I'm off base, as I said, I'm very new to the system, and simply going by the manual at this point.

1DX | 5DIII / BG-E11 Grip | EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | EF 24-70 L (I) | EF 50 1.4 | EF 200 2.8L | Sigma 85 1.4 | EF 16-35 f/4L | (2) 600EX-RT / ST-E3-RT | 430EX | (2) AB800s | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 70-200 f/4 G | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | plus too many doodads to list

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,169 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 12, 2018 18:27 |  #1440

That is indeed how it works, but there are other trigger systems out there that can indeed fire a remote shutter while shooting the main camera. I cannot have all cameras on remote, one needs to the main that I am shooting the action, the other cameras will be fixed on to goal or foul shot line. I can then decide to turn on/off the remote on my hot shoe as needed to fire or not fire the remote cameras. One will be mounted behind the glass aimed down at the rim....

It is all good, if Godox did indeed incorporate this into their current X1 line, they would take a bite from the pocketwizard line, because I have already seen those units used by photographers for this very thing. In the meantime, Yongnuo went from the RF602 that did this to the RF603 that does more but broke the 602 remote firing, and now the 605 that behaves like either the 602 or 603, combining them into one. It took me a couple of days to find this. The X1R will have to go back now.

sponsored links

356,927 views & 387 likes for this thread
Godox X1 system integration thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.