Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
Thread started 29 Dec 2017 (Friday) 20:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Arduino gadget for photogrammetry

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,081 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by pulsar123.

Dec 29, 2017 20:36 |  #1

I just finished my gadget which automates the image taking part of photogrammetry (making 3D models of an object from a bunch of photos of the object). The setup is simple: the gadget (based on Arduino Nano) slowly rotates a round platform with the object at the center, while regularly triggering camera shutter and an external flash (or multiple flashes in the studio, via YN603 RF trigger). One needs as soft light as possible (no shadows) for the best results; I am using the two largest lights in my studio (60" octo and a smaller rectangular softbox).

The gadget is optimized to operate a Canon DSLR with Magic Lantern using its FRSP (electronic shutter) mode - meaning no wearing off the shutter (which could be very important - if you want a quality 3d model, you might need to take hundreds of shots, from different angles, and also for the focal depth). It is often assumed that a flash cannot be used with FRSP, but I found a workaround with the help of my gadget. The limitations are the time between shots should be at least 6s, and the camera shutter time should be 1/4s or longer (so it requires a fairly dark studio). But otherwise it works beautifully - I took hundreds of FRSP shots with a flash both with 50D and now 6D, and they all look perfect (properly exposed).

The PCB of my design was made professionally (and very cheaply) in China. The total cost for everything is ~20$. I still need to design and 3D print an enclosure for the controller.

The controller functionality is basic (for now) - it displays a few important parameters, allows to store different parameter combinations in the permanent (EEPROM) memory, in 10 custom registers, and has a start/stop button. The software is now on github.

The main project's site:

http://pulsar124.wikia​.com/wiki/3D_Scanner (external link)

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4551/37927253474_66802ce83b_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ZMv6​6m  (external link) 3D scanner (external link) by First Last (external link), on Flickr

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

sponsored links
AdamT
43 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 01, 2018 14:37 |  #2

Very cool. Not into 3D printing but still just cool.

Tyguy
476 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Jan 10, 2018 16:13 |  #3

Awesome! I've been interested in 3D scanning with a camera, but haven't tried yet. This controller could also be used for a macro slider... Couple questions:

What's the user input device? It looks like an external keypad?

What's the serial connector for?

Is the camera opto-isolated?

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

pulsar123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,081 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 11, 2018 12:44 as a reply to  @ Tyguy's post |  #4

Most of your questions are answered on my wikia page in the OP - I provide pictures, schematics, my PCB design (Gerbers files), and user interface details. The serial (DB9) connector is for the motor (I use two wires per motor's connection).

Yesterday I did my first real test of the 3D scanner - I took 150 shots of a 20cm tall statue from three different angles (0, 30, and 60 degrees). I used Canon 6D (electronic shutter from Magic Lantern - works beautifully) with Canon 50mm f1.8 STM lens, two large softboxes with YN560III flashes and two reflectors. Then I spent many hours processing this in photogrammetry software. The result is very good - I got high level of details, and practically no artifacts:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4674/38727801025_355ed493e2_d.jpg

The 3D models links (wrl and pdf files) can be found at the bottom of my wikia page.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

pulsar123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,081 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 12, 2018 12:32 |  #5

I uploaded a short test demo of the gadget to youtube:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=5NrT4MTs3C4 (external link)

Tyguy
476 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Jan 12, 2018 15:26 |  #6

I already looked through your wikia. Still had these questions, thus why I asked.

Nice work :)

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

623 views & 2 likes for this thread
My Arduino gadget for photogrammetry
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.