Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 18 Dec 2017 (Monday) 17:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Vinta S photographer's stylish backpack video review

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,969 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by Dj R.

Dec 18, 2017 17:12 |  #1

This is the Vinta S backpack
great for mirrorless!

https://youtu.be/EkMRa​NQGeKU (external link)

About the product

Holds a full-frame DSLR with 3-5 lenses
Dedicated laptop slot and includes a zippered field pack
Magnetic snaps and padded interior dividers
Water resistant material with leather details

$78,100 raised
with 351 backers.
See more featured products from Kickstarter

Introducing the new s-series travel and camera bags by VINTA. They were designed form the ground up for the modern traveler. With more than enough space the s-series can securely fit your DSLR camera, 3-5 lenses, laptop, and more. A dedicated laptop slot holds up to a 15" laptop if inserted into the bag from the top, or a 13" laptop if inserted into the bag through the back of the bag. A zippered field pack is included with the backpack to store all your charger cords and loose items. An exterior pocket features separate slots to hold slim and small accessories like film, memory card

BAG Reviews, master list!
Sony A9 & A7Riii, 12-24 G f4, Batis 25 f2 Distagon, 35 f1.4 Distagon ZA, 50 f1.4 Planar ZA, 55 f1.8 Sonnar ZA, 85 f1.4 GM, 70-200 f2.8 GM

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,377 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 18, 2017 19:13 |  #2

Looks cheaply made, zipper will not last. No way to carry a tripod. No water bottle holder. No waste belt so entire weight hanging on your shoulders...good luck carrying this around for a day, let alone a 2 week trip.

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,969 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 18, 2017 20:09 |  #3

Hogloff wrote in post #18521286 (external link)
Looks cheaply made, zipper will not last. No way to carry a tripod. No water bottle holder. No waste belt so entire weight hanging on your shoulders...good luck carrying this around for a day, let alone a 2 week trip.

welp, I agree it's not ideal quality, especially for the price.
but it did come with belts to hang a tripod on the bottom of the bag, did I forgot to touch on that?

also, it is actually quite comfortable to carry, at least this mirrorless setup!

but yea, no water bottle holder, WTF are they thinking??

Sony A9 & A7Riii, 12-24 G f4, Batis 25 f2 Distagon, 35 f1.4 Distagon ZA, 50 f1.4 Planar ZA, 55 f1.8 Sonnar ZA, 85 f1.4 GM, 70-200 f2.8 GM

Cham_001
874 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 30, 2017 17:21 as a reply to  @ Dj R's post |  #4

I'm glad others are considering this bag too.... The pictures of this bag look great.
I came across this last week and I too am considering buying it.

It looks really elegant, I do not plan to carry masses of stuff on travels anymore.
(just tired of lugging endless gear around on planes when weight-allowance is so limited)

For my purposes, I am streamlining & trading-in most of my gear.
Just need a bag for a MacBook Pro, DSLR camera-body, 2 x flashguns, 2-3 triggers, and 2 lenses at the most.

The biggest problem with these sleek and modern-looking bags is how (if at all) the assortment of accessories are stored:
spare batteries
battery charger
memory cards
cables
external storage - hard-drive
radio-transmitters
filters and their accessories

Not sure, if this bag will end up 'disfigured' - what do you think? :-(

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,969 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 30, 2017 20:16 as a reply to  @ Cham_001's post |  #5

Where are you going to put them? In the top section, no problem.

The new version is going to have zipper d side pouches which will accommodate wayer bottles! And it will be a little bigger.

Cham_001
874 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 01, 2018 06:12 as a reply to  @ Dj R's post |  #6

The thing is, "Dj R" I have only seen the Kickstarter Video on this and the descriptions/images available on eBay/Amazon.

For Treks/Hikes I will only carry minimal kit from now on.
I will be buying the Spider Pro / PD Capture Pro - this should 'free-up' space from the actual back-pack and lighten the load!
I have to carry with me 3-4 580ex ii's, the TT1 & 4 x TT5's, a 100mm lens, filters/polarizer, 3 x flash brackets, spare camera battery and a load of re-chargeables for the flash units.
As long as a tripod can be attached securely underneath this Vinta S - then I'll be good-to-go!

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,969 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by Dj R.

Jan 01, 2018 13:42 |  #7

Cham_001 wrote in post #18530661 (external link)
The thing is, "Dj R" I have only seen the Kickstarter Video on this and the descriptions/images available on eBay/Amazon.

For Treks/Hikes I will only carry minimal kit from now on.
I will be buying the Spider Pro / PD Capture Pro - this should 'free-up' space from the actual back-pack and lighten the load!
I have to carry with me 3-4 580ex ii's, the TT1 & 4 x TT5's, a 100mm lens, filters/polarizer, 3 x flash brackets, spare camera battery and a load of re-chargeables for the flash units.
As long as a tripod can be attached securely underneath this Vinta S - then I'll be good-to-go!

If I had to guess, I don't think this bag is serious enough for you.
It's more for a casual shooter.

Sounds like you need:
1. a heavier duty bag
2. a bag with a more convenient arrangement for tripod, rather than belts
3. more/better instant access for small gear (pockets)

if you still want to give it a whirl:

1. look at the dimensions of the bag's chamber, watch my video, to get a good idea of the proportion size.
lay all of your gear out, as if it were in the main chamber of the bag. pretend there are dividers between stuff or use actual dividers. lay stuff sideways where it helps, b/c you can't really stack things in this bag, it's very narrow.
measure out the exterior result and let me know what it is.

2. consider buying from adorama or someone who offers no-questions-asked returns

3. consider buying used, cheap enough, that you can re sell the bag and not lose money

for me? I knew the II was coming out soon.
I got the S version, new, for $200 shipped, with the belts! from someone on ebay. probably someone who got it at the KS price b/c normally, this would be around $279 or so. you can't even find the belts anymore, from a store. you would have to get it from someone who purchased it a while back, who has the belts.

I will get the II version in March or so. And sell my S.
The II is going to be a little bigger, have more features regarding storage. a removable camera chamber section. zippered side pouches that expand for water bottles.

hope this helps!

Cham_001
874 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 01, 2018 18:46 |  #8

Dj R wrote in post #18530995 (external link)
If I had to guess, I don't think this bag is serious enough for you.
It's more for a casual shooter.

Sounds like you need:
1. a heavier duty bag
2. a bag with a more convenient arrangement for tripod, rather than belts
3. more/better instant access for small gear (pockets)

if you still want to give it a whirl:

1. look at the dimensions of the bag's chamber, watch my video, to get a good idea of the proportion size.
lay all of your gear out, as if it were in the main chamber of the bag. pretend there are dividers between stuff or use actual dividers. lay stuff sideways where it helps, b/c you can't really stack things in this bag, it's very narrow.
measure out the exterior result and let me know what it is.

2. consider buying from adorama or someone who offers no-questions-asked returns

3. consider buying used, cheap enough, that you can re sell the bag and not lose money

for me? I knew the II was coming out soon.
I got the S version, new, for $200 shipped, with the belts! from someone on ebay. probably someone who got it at the KS price b/c normally, this would be around $279 or so. you can't even find the belts anymore, from a store. you would have to get it from someone who purchased it a while back, who has the belts.

I will get the II version in March or so. And sell my S.
The II is going to be a little bigger, have more features regarding storage. a removable camera chamber section. zippered side pouches that expand for water bottles.

hope this helps!

---

Thanks for this - great advice from you. :!:

Considering the accessories that I have to carry, it makes sense for them to be 'compartmentalised' or 'pocketed'. I will heed your advice and wait until the Sii version is available. The actual camera and lens will be carried externally using the Spider Pro / PD Capture Pro...
I am buying the Peak Design Messenger (15") bag as well - this will house my MBP 15" and the camera & lens stored away with the laptop power supply and my backup external drive only. Yeah, I overlooked the importance of 'storage-safety' - without the pockets on the Vinta S, a lot of the gear is going to be rattling-around against each other!
For my purposes:
Peak Design Messenger & Vinta S together will store ALL the camera/lenses/flashes/​triggers/filters/acces​sories. I will take both bags to all my destinations. Once checked-in, the Vinta S (ii) will be used as my walk-about bag inconjuction with the clip/bracket system for the camera and lens. Everything else not required on that trek/shoot will remain in the Messenger Bag safely indoors. (E.g. laptop/hard-drive/power supplies are not necessary for me to roam around with). I will only ever travel with a total of 2 lenses: 24-70mm & 100mm L Macro. The latter used as a normal lens is a terrific portrait lens!!!! i just love both the focal length and the crisp/sharp images that it produces - I'm kinda used to this lens!

sponsored links

518 views & 2 likes for this thread
Vinta S photographer's stylish backpack video review
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.