Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 29 Dec 2017 (Friday) 06:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Where to go to photograph eagles?

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Jan 01, 2018 20:19 |  #16

This is the kind of interaction that I love to see, people actually helping each other rather than fighting over small stuff. :)

Thank y'all for being so kindly and adult, this is the way people were BEFORE the internet!

That does my heart good to see this and I just had to say something.

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Grizz1
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Northeast Missouri
Jan 01, 2018 20:56 |  #17

Fordsabroad wrote in post #18531183 (external link)
Steve
Thanks for your reply, I agree that Toms offer is awesome and I intend to take him up on it if I can fit in with his availability. I have to say that the response from everyone on this thread has been fantastic, what a great community.
One question about Haines, you mention Brown Bear feeding on fish - does this make it unsafe to be on your own when looking for eagles to photograph.

Wow, I can feel the excitement building as everyone discusses this subject.
I wouldn't say that it is unsafe to be near the bears at Haines but caution should definitely be used. I was part of a group led by two local people which made keeping everyone safe their priority. It seemed that the bears are so used to people that they ignored us as long as we were not in their direct path and gave them some room. There was one sow that had lost her cub that year ( killed by a male bear) and she was in a bad mood. The guides knew her well and sure enough we had an encounter with that bear, she got in a fight with another bear close to us than came our way popping her teeth warning us to leave. I could tell the guides were uneasy about the situation and probably a good thing they were along to warn us about this particular bear.
The short side trip I took from Haines was to Chilkoot Lake. The Eagles were along the Chilkoot river that flows into the Lutak Inlet. It is about 12 miles between Haines and the Lake, most of the Eagles were less than half way to the Lake.
When reading the replies from Tom and Eric the timing of the Eagles in their areas makes sense. I was in Haines mid Sept last time and I believe their highest count is normally in Oct with Eagle viewing days then starts dropping off.
The climate in Haines does not get as severe as one would think and many Eagles probably stay there year round.I'm thinking that a trip to the NW where Tom and Eric are located will be more economical, Alaska is expensive to go it alone, Haines being no exception with transportation, food, fuel, etc, being much higher than I'm accustomed to.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,963 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 01, 2018 23:52 as a reply to post 18531188 |  #18

Shoot me a PM when you're looking to come out a couple of weeks ahead of time and if nothing else we can meet up and I can give you some directions/pointers/et​c. At best I can set up and drive up there with you for a weekend and then you can continue a beautiful drive over to the East side of the state to meet up w/ Tom. The big question will be how comfortable you are in snow or ice; there's a good chance the passes are going to be white and slippery going that direction.

How much time are you thinking of spending out this way?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Fordsabroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2014
Hampshire - UK
Jan 02, 2018 05:02 as a reply to recrisp's post |  #19

Randy.
You are so right. This has been a real pleasure of a thread. People have been so willing to share information and offer to help it has been amazing.

Fordsabroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2014
Hampshire - UK
Jan 02, 2018 05:12 as a reply to Grizz1's post |  #20

Steve
Thanks for you post. Haines looks to be a fantastic place for eagles but a bit ambitious for a first time visit on my own. Bumping into a grumpy bear without back up (or even with) is not my idea of fun.
Both Tom and Eric have kindly offered me help and I think that will be the best route for me to take. I don't think you can beat first hand local knowledge and guidance. I will try and firm up some convenient dates with them and, hopefully come away with a card full of great shots (well half a dozen "great" shots would be nice).

Fordsabroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2014
Hampshire - UK
Jan 02, 2018 05:27 as a reply to post 18531238 |  #21

Tom
Thanks for your reply. Part of me wants to try and get out there ASAP, however realistically I would only be able to fit a 7 day trip in before the end of March so the sensible thing is to plan for a 10 - 14 day trip early next year. I could then link up with Eric for the first couple of days.
Your offer to put me up is very kind and I would be grateful but I would not wish to inconvenience you in any way and would be happy to find alternative accommodation if it works better for you.
As stated at the beginning of this thread I would love to get some decent shots of Eagles but am very open to suggestions you have to photograph any other wildlife, it will all be an enjoyable experience whatever I come home with.
International flights do not get released until about 11 months before the date so I will keep my eyes open and give you a heads up before I book. As it so far in advance I am pretty flexible on the dates so if any month is better for you please let me know.
Eric the same goes for you re the dates, it would be good to link up with both of you in the same trip.

Fordsabroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2014
Hampshire - UK
Jan 02, 2018 05:36 as a reply to Snydremark's post |  #22

Hi Eric
I am sure you will have read my reply to Tom. I will give you a shout before I book to see if the dates work for you, it would be good to meet up.
As far as driving in snow, the deepest we get here in the south of England is a couple of inches and that throws every one into a panic, roads, trains and airports all grind to a halt! Looking at the maps it seems that the options I have driving from you to Tom involve major roads which, hopefully will be kept clear or am I being naïve?

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,963 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 02, 2018 09:19 |  #23

Fordsabroad wrote in post #18531463 (external link)
Hi Eric
I am sure you will have read my reply to Tom. I will give you a shout before I book to see if the dates work for you, it would be good to meet up.
As far as driving in snow, the deepest we get here in the south of England is a couple of inches and that throws every one into a panic, roads, trains and airports all grind to a halt! Looking at the maps it seems that the options I have driving from you to Tom involve major roads which, hopefully will be kept clear or am I being naïve?

That all sounds like a fine plan to me; giving yourself a contiguous block of time like that will certainly make timing things a bit easier. As far as roads, the closest pass to get from where the Eagles tend to be to the Okanogan is closed at this time of year, so you would need to backtrack down toward Seattle and head over Snoqualmie Pass on I90 and then head North once you're across the mountains. Snoqualmie stays relatively clear all winter but still gets several inches of snow and may require traction tires or chains at times. As long as you just exercise due snow caution, though, it's normally very passable.

When you're ready to start booking and such, just shoot a PM here and we can get contact info and such sorted out; plus relay current conditions, etc ahead of time and get things sorted out for you.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Jan 02, 2018 13:50 as a reply to Fordsabroad's post |  #24

It's just good to see, AND, it's a really cool thread, I want to go too, it sounds like a trip of a lifetime! heheh
(I'm kidding, I'd have to get off the couch)

Thanks, Sir, I appreciate your reply.

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,521 views & 19 likes for this thread
Where to go to photograph eagles?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.