Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 23 Jun 2017 (Friday) 13:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does my bride look 70? advice needed.

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,222 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 22, 2017 12:27 |  #61

David, I agree completely with you. Modern DSLR's are too good. Too much detail, and if the 4K+ resultion of many FF sensors are putting out will make it even worse for some older brides. RDK, I agree with you, but add that the quality of the film back in the 70's played a big part.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links
Jotto123
105 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 29, 2017 05:23 |  #62

Those look like good captures.

Unfortunately some people care more about their appearance in photos than the moment captured.

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 35Art

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,683 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Dec 29, 2017 08:03 |  #63

Jotto123 wrote in post #18528537 (external link)
Those look like good captures.

Unfortunately some people care more about their appearance in photos than the moment captured.

Nothing "unfortunate" about that. People pay for their images for their own reasons. There is nothing "unfortunate" about what those reasons may be.

That's particularly true when the image has been "enhanced" in the wrong way by the photographer applying a trendy effect. Why, for instance, should a person suffering from serious acne be happy with an image when a photographer has applied an effect that emphasizes the acne?

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,901 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Dec 29, 2017 11:00 |  #64

Jotto123 wrote in post #18528537 (external link)

RDKirk wrote in post #18528589 (external link)
Nothing "unfortunate" about that. People pay for their images for their own reasons. There is nothing "unfortunate" about what those reasons may be.

I think 'capturing the moment' can require more than a realistic image. It can also involve trying to catch the feeling in the moment as well. In the case of the bride, her mood and the way she felt at the time are probably not well represented in a precisely detailed hard-lit rendition of wrinkled skin. Good portrait and event photographers have long used various tricks at the point of capture or 'in the darkroom' to deliver images that please their subjects ... and that reflect more of the inner self and less of the outer reality. In the digital age, they just have more options available.

Most people appreciate this and it is one of the reasons why they are willing to pay for a professional photographer rather than rely on snap-happy Uncle Bobs with expensive kit they don't properly know how to use.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,222 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 02, 2018 06:54 |  #65

DaviSto wrote in post #18528698 (external link)
I think 'capturing the moment' can require more than a realistic image. It can also involve trying to catch the feeling in the moment as well. In the case of the bride, her mood and the way she felt at the time are probably not well represented in a precisely detailed hard-lit rendition of wrinkled skin. Good portrait and event photographers have long used various tricks at the point of capture or 'in the darkroom' to deliver images that please their subjects ... and that reflect more of the inner self and less of the outer reality. In the digital age, they just have more options available.

Most people appreciate this and it is one of the reasons why they are willing to pay for a professional photographer rather than rely on snap-happy Uncle Bobs with expensive kit they don't properly know how to use.

I'm totally in agreement. Folk don't realize this. Phones don't capture the details a Dslr does.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,157 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2018 07:18 |  #66

We do a free 2 week family portraiture session each year for our church and anybody that wants to come in that time. I have grown accustomed to running the photos through a series of NIK filters (glamour, skin softener, etc), and they all appreciate how the images come out. They look a bit younger and fresher, and love the photos. This is something I typically do (in varying degrees) on ALL professional portraiture I shoot, whether seniors, families, individual portraits, etc.

For those not comfortable using filters, etc. there is a very easy technique using an extra layer that is gaussian'd blurred, then setting setting the history flag on that step, and back up one in your history. You then use the history brush to "airbrush" problematic areas quickly.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,222 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 02, 2018 11:34 |  #67

Didn't know there was a glamour and skin softner preset in Nik. Is that what they're called? And what tweaks would you advise? The way I was taught AFTER this incident was set clarity under 10, Sharpening to 80 (Yes! 80) and add NR to soften the skin. You can add skin softening adjustment brush if you need more work on the wrinkles, see my last images for examples.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,901 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by DaviSto.

Jan 02, 2018 11:43 |  #68

Colin Glover wrote in post #18531677 (external link)
Didn't know there was a glamour and skin softner preset in Nik. Is that what they're called? And what tweaks would you advise? The way I was taught AFTER this incident was set clarity under 10, Sharpening to 80 (Yes! 80) and add NR to soften the skin. You can add skin softening adjustment brush if you need more work on the wrinkles, see my last images for examples.

Nik has lots of options (in this case, in the Color Effex Pro 4 module of the suite). It doesn't do anything you can't achieve using other post-processing tools ... but it is very quick and straightforward to use once you have got the hang of it. I imagine that's a big plus-point for TeamSpeed offering his time and skills without charge to take portraits of church members. And you can get really good results.

I don't think there is any one-size-fits-all answer on what pre-set to use. It depends on the image you start with and what you are trying to achieve. I'd be inclined to experiment with it a bit to find out what suits your own style. There's lots of advice available on Youtube. I like Anthony Morganti's videos, in particular. Informative, clear, short.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,157 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2018 13:56 as a reply to  @ Colin Glover's post |  #69

I found this help topic on that skin softener filter. Hope it helps.
https://support.google​.com …tion/answer/329​8010?hl=en (external link)

For tough subjects, I will also employ the history/blur brush method as well. As I researched links to provide help here, it makes sense to use surface blur instead of gaussian, but I haven't tried that yet.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,781 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 03, 2018 04:15 |  #70

I have lots of experience photographing and post processing although mostly other than people.
So when I was asked for some tips for someone relatively new to photography who was taking photos for a 21st Birthday, I explained that and gave only 1 piece of advice. Be very careful with sharpening photos of any woman who is not young and also young women with any skin blemishes.

Sharp seems to be the first thing people new to photography strive for, I think it was for me, but it does not mean it's the best for every situation.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

sponsored links

16,277 views & 28 likes for this thread
Does my bride look 70? advice needed.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.