Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 22 Sep 2017 (Friday) 08:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to check a used 14mm 2.8 before buying?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,608 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 22, 2017 08:19 |  #1

I don't normally buy used lenses, and especially one that is known for such variety in QC... but that could happen buying new anyway too.

So how do I actually check the lens to make sure it's "good enough" - what benchmarks would I use?

I recall hearing about uneven focusing across the frame and the distortion (but not sure if the distortion differs across copies?)

Many thanks! This lens looks harder to buy than I thought...

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,672 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 8 months ago by MalVeauX.

Sep 22, 2017 08:31 |  #2

I don't think you'd be able to tell on an LCD on the camera, especially stopped down.

You'd really need to pixel peep on a monitor to see it most likely.

Maybe wide open (F2.8) and minimum focus distance and then compare corners on LCD at highest magnification?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)
For sale: Sekonic Litemaster L-478D (Free Shipping)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,608 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 22, 2017 08:52 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18457763 (external link)
I don't think you'd be able to tell on an LCD on the camera, especially stopped down.

You'd really need to pixel peep on a monitor to see it most likely.

Maybe wide open (F2.8) and minimum focus distance and then compare corners on LCD at highest magnification?

Very best,

Hmm, could also ask them to send me a sample shot... just of a wall with detail on it? To check evenness throughout frame?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,672 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 22, 2017 08:53 |  #4

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18457779 (external link)
Hmm, could also ask them to send me a sample shot... just of a wall with detail on it? To check evenness throughout frame?

Brick wall or tree foliage at F2.8 and F16 should show something if there's something. Just don't misjudge distortion for out of focus.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)
For sale: Sekonic Litemaster L-478D (Free Shipping)

01Ryan10
994 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 27, 2017 14:08 |  #5

I'd suggest to just buy the Rokinon variety 14mm 2.8 brand new from reputable store. Return for new if needed.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,608 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 27, 2017 20:34 |  #6

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18461584 (external link)
I'd suggest to just buy the Rokinon variety 14mm 2.8 brand new from reputable store. Return for new if needed.

Why do you recommend the more-expensive rokinon if they're all just rebadges? What's the difference in buying the namebrand?

01Ryan10
994 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 27, 2017 20:40 |  #7

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18461812 (external link)
Why do you recommend the more-expensive rokinon if they're all just rebadges? What's the difference in buying the namebrand?

I mean...buy any name, just make it new.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,212 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 27, 2017 20:53 |  #8

Brick wall, make sure you are set up parallel and about 8-10 feet away. Check each corner as compared to the middle.

Checking on the screen was plenty for me to see trouble in a potential purchase so I declined. It was craingslist/in person though.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

AdamT
43 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 30, 2017 23:12 |  #9

You could see a lack of sharpness in the corners on the screen!? Can this lens be that bad sometimes?

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,457 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 31, 2017 09:02 |  #10

At the corners of an image check for coma and try finding reviews and see if the lens is tack sharp or known for soft images . Yes a brick wall is good . Ask for an unedited image in RAW so corners can be checked up close .

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,704 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 03, 2018 19:37 |  #11

Look at the lens very closely--even using a magnifying glass-- for any signs of impact. Look carefully around the focusing ring for any misalignment. Look through it, hold it up to the light, angle it to your eye, for any signs of scratching or fogging or fungus. Twist the focusing ring off the camera and listen and feel carefully for any rubbing. Put it on a camera, focus at different distances and listen to the motor carefully. Watch it as it focuses for any hitches.

Smell it--yes, smell it.

sponsored links

904 views & 1 like for this thread
How to check a used 14mm 2.8 before buying?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.