Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 07 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 10:01
Prev/next

My definition of beauty and why I like certain photo/photographers.

inwardphoto
Joined Apr 2012
Little Rock, AR
Jan 07, 2018 10:01 |  #1

Over the years I've been a camera and camera magazine collector and not a real photographer. As I've been trying to correct that, I started journaling. As I've gone back and looked at my comments about photos and what I've liked and what I didn't I discovered a few things. I won't say it's a new thought, but it enabled me to focus on the subject and clarify my reactions to what I was seeing.

1.My definition of beauty includes the flaws. The photos and the photographers who I've tended to follow don't hide the flaws, the little irregularities in the skin, the wrinkles, the cellulite, etc. I even had one photo here that I had initially not liked but kept going back to it. Then I realized what it was. Her face wasn't photoshopped to death. It showed her in all her glory, flaws and imperfect skin and all.

2. Just because we can correct just about everything in photoshop now doesn't mean we should. There is a time and a place for everything.

3. I went out and bought a copy of the book Atlas of Beauty

4. Now I have a goal and something that I can start to form a personal style

Yup I know it sounds trite and possible a bit touchy-feely but journaling (honest journaling) can be a useful tool. Give it a try. You might find somethings out about yourself and your photography may benifit.

Canon EOS 80D | Fujifilm X100F | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 35mm F1.4L II USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM |

348 views & 2 likes for this thread
My definition of beauty and why I like certain photo/photographers.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.