Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 03 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 09:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Advice needed for Grand Canyon trip

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,681 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 1 month ago by John from PA.
Jan 06, 2018 18:43 |  #16

davinci953 wrote in post #18535110 (external link)
I'm not recommending the following tour company, but they require a tripod on some of the tours. Some of the information on the web site might be helpful for you. A friend passed along the information a few months ago when I was planning a trip to northern Arizona. I didn't have time for the canyons, so I don't have personal experience with the company. The reviews overall are positive. There are also some negative reviews that seem to be somewhat consistent in what they're reporting. Sometimes it comes down to the tour guide that you're with who can make or break the experience.

https://www.navajoante​lopecanyon.com/Photo.a​sp (external link)

In all my years of traveling and taking photo tours I have never encountered a firm that required

EACH photographer (individually) to have a camera (DSLR, SLR, Mirrorless) and a full size tripod.

Many have recommended such gear but never required it. At the other extreme I've done some tours where they told you it would be made available so you didn't have to bring your own!

sponsored links
fishbio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
Kentucky
Jan 07, 2018 08:44 |  #17

davinci953 wrote in post #18535110 (external link)
I'm not recommending the following tour company, but they require a tripod on some of the tours. Some of the information on the web site might be helpful for you. A friend passed along the information a few months ago when I was planning a trip to northern Arizona. I didn't have time for the canyons, so I don't have personal experience with the company. The reviews overall are positive. There are also some negative reviews that seem to be somewhat consistent in what they're reporting. Sometimes it comes down to the tour guide that you're with who can make or break the experience.

https://www.navajoante​lopecanyon.com/Photo.a​sp (external link)

Thank you for the info, davinci953. I'm now thinking I will skip the tripod and just rely on my 6D's high ISO capabilities.

John
6D, 70D, T2i, EF-S 15-85, EF 16-35 4.0, EF 35 2.0 IS, EF 135 2.0, EF 24-105, EF 70-200 4.0 IS, EF 400 5.6, Canon 580 EX, 430 EX.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,681 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 07, 2018 09:16 |  #18

fishbio wrote in post #18535487 (external link)
Thank you for the info, davinci953. I'm now thinking I will skip the tripod and just rely on my 6D's high ISO capabilities.

fishbio, you may want to consider throwing together a poor man's monopod, just in case. Now, I will tell you that many a person is skeptical, but all that proves is they haven't tried it. It works well, costs about $3 and weighs little.

Go to a hardware source and get an 1/4-20 eyebolt and two nuts, same size. If you can find it, you can get these items in nylon which minimizes the weight but costs a bit more. Mount the two nuts on the eyebolt and then screw the eyebolt into the camera but do not tighten it. Back it off slightly then position and lock the two nuts. This ensures you won't bottom out the eyebolt in the camera socket and possibly damage the camera tripod socket.

Then, purchase 5 to 6 feet (depends on your height) of string and tie it to the eyebolt. Tie the other end to something like 3/8 inch dowel, 2 to 3 inches long (with a drilled hole) and position it so you can stand on it and the string is taught when the camera is at eye level. I'm sure you get the idea. Seriously, by eliminating the vertical plane motion you can get some long exposure hand held shoots using this simple device. I've carried one since 1963 when as a student I found myself in Europe. I couldn't afford a tripod, nor did I have the space in my sea bag to carry it. But I was able to get great hand held shots in buildings and night time shots on the streets. I might add I didn't have the benefit of high ISO, or ASA as I believe it was called. 400 or a push to 800 was about the best you could do with Ektachrome!

[Added] My wife reminded me that in many a museum that did not permit a tripod, I could use the poor man's monopod without any issues.

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by drmaxx. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 07, 2018 09:49 |  #19

I personally would recommend to take a day in Sedona for a hike. E.g up to or around cathedral rock. The photo opportunities are just getting much better if you go higher. There's a whole trail system of fairly easy and short hikes that give you a wonderful view over the spectacular scenery.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
This was mid Feb with very pleasant temperatures for being outside.

Donate if you love POTN

fishbio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
Kentucky
Jan 07, 2018 12:37 |  #20

John from PA wrote in post #18535504 (external link)
fishbio, you may want to consider throwing together a poor man's monopod, just in case. Now, I will tell you that many a person is skeptical, but all that proves is they haven't tried it. It works well, costs about $3 and weighs little.

Go to a hardware source and get an 1/4-20 eyebolt and two nuts, same size. If you can find it, you can get these items in nylon which minimizes the weight but costs a bit more. Mount the two nuts on the eyebolt and then screw the eyebolt into the camera but do not tighten it. Back it off slightly then position and lock the two nuts. This ensures you won't bottom out the eyebolt in the camera socket and possibly damage the camera tripod socket.

Then, purchase 5 to 6 feet (depends on your height) of string and tie it to the eyebolt. Tie the other end to something like 3/8 inch dowel, 2 to 3 inches long (with a drilled hole) and position it so you can stand on it and the string is taught when the camera is at eye level. I'm sure you get the idea. Seriously, by eliminating the vertical plane motion you can get some long exposure hand held shoots using this simple device. I've carried one since 1963 when as a student I found myself in Europe. I couldn't afford a tripod, nor did I have the space in my sea bag to carry it. But I was able to get great hand held shots in buildings and night time shots on the streets. I might add I didn't have the benefit of high ISO, or ASA as I believe it was called. 400 or a push to 800 was about the best you could do with Ektachrome!

[Added] My wife reminded me that in many a museum that did not permit a tripod, I could use the poor man's monopod without any issues.

Thanks John. I have heard of that technique (or something similar), but I've never tried it. I may give it a try and practice with it before leaving for my trip.

John
6D, 70D, T2i, EF-S 15-85, EF 16-35 4.0, EF 35 2.0 IS, EF 135 2.0, EF 24-105, EF 70-200 4.0 IS, EF 400 5.6, Canon 580 EX, 430 EX.

fishbio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
Kentucky
Jan 07, 2018 12:42 |  #21

drmaxx wrote in post #18535526 (external link)
I personally would recommend to take a day in Sedona for a hike. E.g up to or around cathedral rock. The photo opportunities are just getting much better if you go higher. There's a whole trail system of fairly easy and short hikes that give you a wonderful view over the spectacular scenery.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by drmaxx in
./showthread.php?p=185​35526&i=i9111126
forum: Nature & Landscapes Talk
This was mid Feb with very pleasant temperatures for being outside.

Thanks drmaxx. We will likely check out the trails around Sedona and Cathedral Rock.

John

davinci953
194 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Jan 07, 2018 12:53 |  #22

John from PA wrote in post #18535159 (external link)
In all my years of traveling and taking photo tours I have never encountered a firm that required

Many have recommended such gear but never required it. At the other extreme I've done some tours where they told you it would be made available so you didn't have to bring your own!

I thought that unusual too when I saw it listed on the web site. If I were going to use them, I'd probably call first to get clarification.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,681 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 07, 2018 13:42 |  #23

fishbio wrote in post #18535638 (external link)
Thanks drmaxx. We will likely check out the trails around Sedona and Cathedral Rock.

Some very detailed information at http://www.sedonahikin​gtrails.com/index.html (external link)

In particular, and from the same site, Cathedral Rock details are at http://www.sedonahikin​gtrails.com/cathedral-rock-trail.htm (external link)..

In upper Sedona, go to the Open Range Grill & Tavern about 1/2 hour before sunset. Request a window seat and watch the sunset on Cathedral. The address is 320 AZ-89A, just down the street (same side) from the Pink Jeep booking place. Food is American "comfort" style and decent. Sunset will be at about 6:30 in mid-March. Might even be worth a reservation. Check http://www.openrangese​dona.com/ (external link)

fishbio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
Kentucky
Jan 08, 2018 08:11 |  #24

John from PA wrote in post #18535689 (external link)
Some very detailed information at http://www.sedonahikin​gtrails.com/index.html (external link)

In particular, and from the same site, Cathedral Rock details are at http://www.sedonahikin​gtrails.com/cathedral-rock-trail.htm (external link)..

In upper Sedona, go to the Open Range Grill & Tavern about 1/2 hour before sunset. Request a window seat and watch the sunset on Cathedral. The address is 320 AZ-89A, just down the street (same side) from the Pink Jeep booking place. Food is American "comfort" style and decent. Sunset will be at about 6:30 in mid-March. Might even be worth a reservation. Check http://www.openrangese​dona.com/ (external link)

Thanks for the links, John.

John

sponsored links

687 views & 6 likes for this thread
Advice needed for Grand Canyon trip
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.