Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 08 Jan 2018 (Monday) 01:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Urgent: Calibrating BenQ SW2700PT, whites appearing magenta!

moodlover
55 posts
Joined May 2014
Post has been last edited 8 days ago by moodlover. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 08, 2018 01:20 |  #1

Taken on an iphone, I've of course exposed for the screens so the reddish/magenta color cast is pronounced. In reality, its a very slight hint of magenta but I want it to be as white and close to the 6500K light as possible. Macbook Air 13" screen for reference, and a 6500K light in my room for reference.

I have calibrated numerous times using an i1 Display and tried both softwares: BenQ's Palette Master Elements and i1Profiler, neither of which make the whites look truly white like the Macbook Air's screen does. The monitor temperature is set to 6500K, and I've of course selected D65 as my calibration temperature, along with standard 120cd/m3. What the hell is going on?

This is driving me mad, is my monitor defective? Please let me know ASAP so I can return before its too late. Thank you!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,549 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Jan 08, 2018 01:30 |  #2

Is the Macbook's screen calibrated with your i1 as well?

Was your BenQ monitor reddish before you began calibration? Or did it seem more like the Macbook?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

moodlover
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined May 2014
Post has been last edited 8 days ago by moodlover. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 08, 2018 01:37 |  #3

Damo77 wrote in post #18536065 (external link)
Is the Macbook's screen calibrated with your i1 as well?

Was your BenQ monitor reddish before you began calibration? Or did it seem more like the Macbook?

I tried before to use the same i1 to calibrate the Macbook, but I found that the profile it was making using the default settings was making the colors worse when changed from default (it was making the monitor give a warm picture and milky blacks) so I left it how it came from factory.

So it's odd but when I calibrated using BenQ's software, the color didnt actually change at all. I used the calibration validation tool and everything passed, it said it had some sort of delta < 0.35 or something. So I guess it came good to go from the factory. When using i1Profiler, it gets even more magenta! With nothing next to it, my eyes adjust I guess but it still "feels" magenta when I walk away and come back. Next to a Macbook screen or iPhone screen the difference is night and day. I really prefer the true neutral white look.

Any thoughts what I could be doing wrong?

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been last edited 8 days ago by Nogo. 5 edits done in total.
Jan 08, 2018 02:59 |  #4

Your monitor is a wide gamut monitor. Did you by chance set your monitor's profile to aRGB? If so, it is possible that your problem is not the profile of the monitor but is your browser not recognizing the color profile.

I don't know what browser you are using. I would assume Safari being you are using a Mac? I use Firefox and know it supports aRGB but you have to enable the profile for it to work correctly. Safari recognizes aRGB but it is possible that your version requires the correct settings to view wider profiles than the standard sRGB.

A simple thing to try would be to look at true white sRGB images on the browser. See if they are actually white. Then see what happens when you look at a true white with a aRGB profile. May not be your problem, just giving you one more thing to eliminate.

White with a sRGB profile.

Edit: I tried to create an aRGB image. My attempt to set the profile may not have worked. I tried to test the images and I can not verify that the bottom image is aRGB. I left it just in case it is.
My old EXIF viewer would have verified the profile, but the new one does not. The old version is not compatible with the newest Firefox. :-(

HOSTED PHOTO

White with a aRGB profile. These should look exactly the same (except for the forum added frame.) If they don't, your problem is probably your browser settings, not your monitor profile.

HOSTED PHOTO

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,425 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by kirkt. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 08, 2018 09:04 |  #5

Two things to consider for each display - the white point and the luminance. You are using the MacBook as a reference, perhaps it sounds like it is not a reference that is calibrated to D65 and the luminance level is not known. The MacBook display may be set to its native white point, which is probably higher than D65, although I am guessing.

You can try to measure the output of the MacBook with the i1 device (WP and luminance) and use the values that result as the target for your BenQ. You may have better luck this way if you really want to match the laptop display.

kirk

Kirk
---

moodlover
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined May 2014
Jan 08, 2018 12:33 |  #6

Nogo, appreciate the response but I know this is not a browser issue because I am speaking of the monitor's overall color in any application, even just Windows file explorer.

Nogo wrote in post #18536080 (external link)
Your monitor is a wide gamut monitor. Did you by chance set your monitor's profile to aRGB? If so, it is possible that your problem is not the profile of the monitor but is your browser not recognizing the color profile.

I don't know what browser you are using. I would assume Safari being you are using a Mac? I use Firefox and know it supports aRGB but you have to enable the profile for it to work correctly. Safari recognizes aRGB but it is possible that your version requires the correct settings to view wider profiles than the standard sRGB.

A simple thing to try would be to look at true white sRGB images on the browser. See if they are actually white. Then see what happens when you look at a true white with a aRGB profile. May not be your problem, just giving you one more thing to eliminate.

White with a sRGB profile.

Edit: I tried to create an aRGB image. My attempt to set the profile may not have worked. I tried to test the images and I can not verify that the bottom image is aRGB. I left it just in case it is.
My old EXIF viewer would have verified the profile, but the new one does not. The old version is not compatible with the newest Firefox. :-(

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Nogo in
./showthread.php?p=185​36080&i=i264349526
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

White with a aRGB profile. These should look exactly the same (except for the forum added frame.) If they don't, your problem is probably your browser settings, not your monitor profile.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Nogo in
./showthread.php?p=185​36080&i=i109787556
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

sponsored links

332 views & 0 likes for this thread
Urgent: Calibrating BenQ SW2700PT, whites appearing magenta!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.