Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 09 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 20:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 16-35 f/4 for FF and Crop

tim1970
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 09, 2018 20:38 |  #1

After seeing all the reviews and personal experiences here on this forum with the 16-35, I am seriously considering this as a landscape lens for my full frame bodies. However I was wandering if anybody had any experience using this with a crop sensor? How would this work for shooting events (wedding receptions,birthday parties, etc). Even though it is only f/4, it does have image stabilization, and most of the time when I do events, I would be using a flash anyways. Also, with my full frame bodies, I would hope to be able to get some environmental type portraits.

ps
I am about 98% sure i am getting this lens, I guess I am just looking for that last little push to go ahead and get it.

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Post has been edited 12 days ago by Ah-keong.
Jan 09, 2018 20:52 |  #2

In my opinion, for FF, this f/4 model is good for landscapes and cityscapes, architecture , etc.

For events especially low light scenarios, you may want to consider the f/2,8 model....

For crop, the 16-35mm f/4 maybe too slow. I would get the Sigma 18-35mm f/1,8 instead.

:p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jan 09, 2018 21:18 |  #3

The lens works well on both my 5D4 and 80D. It’s super wide on FF, but on the crop it’s a nice walk-around standard length lens with a constant aperture + IS. Very versatile.

flickrexternal link

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,769 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Jan 09, 2018 21:21 |  #4

Mine is a great lens and one of the best "Bang for your Buck" lenses in the current Canon range. Having said that I do not do the sort of photography that you do so I would note "Ah-keong"'s comments before you decide. A wider aperture may be more useful to you than it is to me?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Jan 09, 2018 21:35 |  #5

tim1970 wrote in post #18537518 (external link)
After seeing all the reviews and personal experiences here on this forum with the 16-35, I am seriously considering this as a landscape lens for my full frame bodies. However I was wandering if anybody had any experience using this with a crop sensor? How would this work for shooting events (wedding receptions,birthday parties, etc). Even though it is only f/4, it does have image stabilization, and most of the time when I do events, I would be using a flash anyways. Also, with my full frame bodies, I would hope to be able to get some environmental type portraits.

ps
I am about 98% sure i am getting this lens, I guess I am just looking for that last little push to go ahead and get it.

Push - Get it! It's a really nice lens at its price point. My wife uses Canon's EF-S 15-85 on a 70D, and she loves the wide angle side of that lens. The 16-35 matches up nicely with that. I use the 16-35 f/4 on FF, and I enjoy it very much.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

444 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon 16-35 f/4 for FF and Crop
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.