Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 08:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gary Fong LightSphere Flash Diffuser

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,507 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 19, 2017 20:35 |  #46

OP has confirmed receipt of the promised diffuser. Let's see the results, Anita!

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,304 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2017 20:54 |  #47

My personal take on this... I have one. It works well but it's bulky and takes up a lot of much needed space in my bag. I decided not to use it anymore. Shortly after I stopped using it I started bouncing the light off of other objects (ceiling, walls, etc). It was very gratifying to find such a simple technique. While it doesn't work 100% of the time, it does work quite often.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Ah-keong
478 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Dec 20, 2017 00:13 |  #48

anyone uses the MagMod?  :p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,437 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 22, 2017 17:07 |  #49

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18471312 (external link)

Of course, what really kills me is when I go to the beach and see people shooting portraits with an off camera speedlight, aim straight up, with a plastic bowl on it. -?

i was at a smallish local indy film premier (to watch, not to shoot "red carpet" photos) and the hired help who was late getting there, had one of these babies on his speedlite...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

i dont know how his images turned out but he was shooting some photos in the auditorium (think a big theater with live plays stage) with this, pointed straight up. so, 2-3 stops of light LOST for the modifier and then trying to bounce the light off the gold colored textured 40' high ceiling, surely didnt turn out real well. he probably was shooting with E-TTL (only using the N-word gear's version) and probably managed to get something usable from ambient...

then i once saw a portrait/wedding photographer shooting some football warm ups of her company's sponsored Cancer Awareness warm up jerseys using a Rogue thing, on her flash, from the pressbox. i couldnt even think of anything to say...

High ­ Desert
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Jan 10, 2018 12:08 |  #50

anitaw2 wrote in post #18471411 (external link)
Sent PM

So - now with the free product, postage paid, what have you done with it and what do you think of it Anita?? Curious to see results and viewpoint as I am sure others are.

anitaw2
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jan 10, 2018 13:27 |  #51

High Desert wrote in post #18537911 (external link)
So - now with the free product, postage paid, what have you done with it and what do you think of it Anita?? Curious to see results and viewpoint as I am sure others are.

as I was having problems with my 85mm lens, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I will probably use it in the next few weeks if I can find the time. I'll tell you my verdict!!!

Anita W.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,507 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 10, 2018 13:45 |  #52

Ltdave wrote in post #18524239 (external link)
i was at a smallish local indy film premier (to watch, not to shoot "red carpet" photos) and the hired help who was late getting there, had one of these babies on his speedlite...

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Ltdave in
./showthread.php?p=185​24239&i=i226922573
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

i dont know how his images turned out but he was shooting some photos in the auditorium (think a big theater with live plays stage) with this, pointed straight up. so, 2-3 stops of light LOST for the modifier and then trying to bounce the light off the gold colored textured 40' high ceiling, surely didnt turn out real well. he probably was shooting with E-TTL (only using the N-word gear's version) and probably managed to get something usable from ambient...

then i once saw a portrait/wedding photographer shooting some football warm ups of her company's sponsored Cancer Awareness warm up jerseys using a Rogue thing, on her flash, from the pressbox. i couldnt even think of anything to say...

I got a good laugh out of this. It reminds me of going to a live music concert, in a venue the size of the Chicago Theatre, and watching folks use the flash on their cell phones... from the 25 rows back... or even the balcony. :) :) :)

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

sponsored links

12,041 views & 37 likes for this thread
Gary Fong LightSphere Flash Diffuser
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.