Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jan 10, 2018 05:01 |  #7156

Pondrader wrote in post #18537117 (external link)
I'm interested to know what you like better about processing the 5DIV Mark ??

Comparing my 80D and 5D4 in post, the two main benefits I see w/ the 5D4 are:

1) more latitude when dealing with high ISO noise; the 5D4 just has a smoother noise profile that's easier to smooth out while maintaining detail; aka, the 80D turns to mush faster if you aren't careful
2) a few more megapixels with which to crop

The 5D4 files are a joy to work with.

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18537639 (external link)
Thanks Jake. I was thinking that for my Yellowstone trip I would use the 100-400mm lens on the 7D2 & use my 24-70mm lens of the 5D4. So far I have been really happy with those combinations but I haven’t thrown on the 1.4 converter yet & was wondering if that affected the performance of the lens. I also haven’t put the 100-400 lens on my 5D4 body yet.

So many decisions......:rolleyes:

Maureen, this would be a fantastic travel setup for wild life. So much versatility! The 1.4x III definitely slows things down a bit AF speed-wise, and the AF loses some "grip", meaning that it'll hunt a little more because it isn't grabbing onto target as well. I usually stick to my center point on my 80D when using the TC in order to use the camera's most accurate AF point. In situations with good target contrast, you'll be fine.

IQ-wise, the combo will deliver excellent photos. Tiny, tiny bit of contrast and detail loss from the TC, but really, in the grand scheme it's inconsequential.

flickrexternal link

sponsored links
chris001
Joined Dec 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Jan 10, 2018 10:13 |  #7157

I just picked up the 100-400 myself. I can't wait to take it out once the weather gets a little better. I'm going to use it with a T6i. I made a few shots of commercial aircraft at work and I'm very happy with the lens. w00t!

Thanks!
Chris
flickrexternal link

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Post has been last edited 9 days ago by Pondrader. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 10, 2018 10:30 |  #7158

MatthewK wrote in post #18537683 (external link)
Comparing my 80D and 5D4 in post, the two main benefits I see w/ the 5D4 are:

1) more latitude when dealing with high ISO noise; the 5D4 just has a smoother noise profile that's easier to smooth out while maintaining detail; aka, the 80D turns to mush faster if you aren't careful
2) a few more megapixels with which to crop

The 5D4 files are a joy to work with.

Maureen, this would be a fantastic travel setup for wild life. So much versatility! The 1.4x III definitely slows things down a bit AF speed-wise, and the AF loses some "grip", meaning that it'll hunt a little more because it isn't grabbing onto target as well. I usually stick to my center point on my 80D when using the TC in order to use the camera's most accurate AF point. In situations with good target contrast, you'll be fine.

IQ-wise, the combo will deliver excellent photos. Tiny, tiny bit of contrast and detail loss from the TC, but really, in the grand scheme it's inconsequential.

OK I understand the little edge in IQ.. but here's the letdown.. 7 frames a second.. 21 images in raw before you hit the buffer... BOOM that little thing just put the 5DIV back on the shelf and out of the running for a wildlife shooter camera for me. The 7DII at 10 frames a second is on the edge of yesterday im not sure of the number of raw's before I hit the buffer.. I only know its not nearly enough and 7 frames is 7D territory in dog years thats a life time.
For me in real life shooting wildlife I need AF that sticks it and a good long string of raw's so I can pick the right head turn or body movement. There is always one that is the clear winner in 30 or 40 images in a string. and with the slower camera its more than likely the one you didnt get. I have some clear requirements now in camera's, I know they will all shoot super images. but getting the one people will click the like button on well that could be shot number 28 1/2. the IQ sounds awesome but at what cost. I know the 5DIV guys will say they have got some awesome images with it and they have. But I'm wondering just what They left in the field.
Its a wicked discussion thread topic I would think.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jan 10, 2018 11:16 |  #7159

Pondrader wrote in post #18537855 (external link)
OK I understand the little edge in IQ.. but here's the letdown.. 7 frames a second.. 21 images in raw before you hit the buffer... BOOM that little thing just put the 5DIV back on the shelf and out of the running for a wildlife shooter camera for me. The 7DII at 10 frames a second is on the edge of yesterday im not sure of the number of raw's before I hit the buffer.. I only know its not nearly enough and 7 frames is 7D territory in dog years thats a life time.
For me in real life shooting wildlife I need AF that sticks it and a good long string of raw's so I can pick the right head turn or body movement. There is always one that is the clear winner in 30 or 40 images in a string. and with the slower camera its more than likely the one you didnt get. I have some clear requirements now in camera's, I know they will all shoot super images. but getting the one people will click the like button on well that could be shot number 28 1/2. the IQ sounds awesome but at what cost. I know the 5DIV guys will say they have got some awesome images with it and they have. But I'm wondering just what They left in the field.

Totally understand, Jeff. Whatever you're doing, don't change a thing :-) I was only comparing working with the respective files in post production.

flickrexternal link

Pondrader
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jan 10, 2018 11:19 |  #7160

MatthewK wrote in post #18537884 (external link)
Totally understand, Jeff. Whatever you're doing, don't change a thing :-) I was only comparing working with the respective files in post production.

Yes I know Matt.. I guess I'm bored and don't really want to do anymore cabinet work today lol.. I have a ton of thoughts on wildlife shooting in my head. so yup .. I'm out in left field lol

flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jan 10, 2018 11:47 |  #7161

Pondrader wrote in post #18537887 (external link)
Yes I know Matt.. I guess I'm bored and don't really want to do anymore cabinet work today lol.. I have a ton of thoughts on wildlife shooting in my head. so yup .. I'm out in left field lol

When you mention needing the frame rate to capture the best pose, my mind instantly goes to the shots of the Pine Martin you posted. How many buffers did you fill getting the ideal shot? :-)

You've probably already heard this, but what about the 1DX? :-) I myself occasionally toy around with that idea too, but for the slow pace that I shoot I really don't require it. It'd sure be fun to have though!

flickrexternal link

McNeese72
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Sulphur, La
Jan 10, 2018 12:04 |  #7162

Pondrader wrote in post #18537855 (external link)

Solution: 1Dx II (+400mm F/2.8 or bigger) Damn other people keep winning my lottery jackpots. ;)

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

Pondrader
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jan 10, 2018 12:26 |  #7163

MatthewK wrote in post #18537900 (external link)
When you mention needing the frame rate to capture the best pose, my mind instantly goes to the shots of the Pine Martin you posted. How many buffers did you fill getting the ideal shot? :-)

You've probably already heard this, but what about the 1DX? :-) I myself occasionally toy around with that idea too, but for the slow pace that I shoot I really don't require it. It'd sure be fun to have though!

Pine Marten's are crazy Matt,.. they never stop running. The stuff I have that looks like they are standing still means they slowed down to half my shutter speed. I must say I lust for the big canon but unless I win the lotto I will never get to even hold one. I would say a shoot with the Pine Marten that lasts 5 or 6 mins is at the max images a 7DII can take in that time.. I concentrate on focus and framing and ive worn out a few buttons doing it. In the 1000's and only a few are POTN worthy.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jan 10, 2018 12:27 |  #7164

McNeese72 wrote in post #18537910 (external link)
Solution: 1Dx II (+400mm F/2.8 or bigger) Damn other people keep winning my lottery jackpots. ;)

Doc

I know Doc.. I'm still trying for us !!

flickr (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,695 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jan 10, 2018 13:07 as a reply to MatthewK's post |  #7165

Thanks, Matt. So far I am thrilled with the performance of the lens on the 7D2 & I think the reach is great. I am going to take my 1.4 converter with me & probably just use it on sunny days. It tends to be gray, cold & snowy this time of year so I will leave it off to make sure I am getting the light I want, especially when shooting brown bison & elk. I do love having the versatility of have 2 very different camera bodies & since I will be there a week, I am sure I will have plenty of chances to switch things around as needed.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Pondrader
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jan 10, 2018 15:19 |  #7166

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18537938 (external link)
Thanks, Matt. So far I am thrilled with the performance of the lens on the 7D2 & I think the reach is great. I am going to take my 1.4 converter with me & probably just use it on sunny days. It tends to be gray, cold & snowy this time of year so I will leave it off to make sure I am getting the light I want, especially when shooting brown bison & elk. I do love having the versatility of have 2 very different camera bodies & since I will be there a week, I am sure I will have plenty of chances to switch things around as needed.

Interestingly I never think in terms of losing light but only gaining depth... I think I'm use to shooting in the dark so much I forget there is a brighter world out there.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Jan 10, 2018 15:22 |  #7167

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4606/39590292162_703f46c440_b_d.jpg

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

Pondrader
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jan 10, 2018 15:34 |  #7168

I had to go look and see what a Dormouse was lol... ...Lunch said the Pine Marten

saea501 wrote in post #18538082 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

chris001
Joined Dec 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Jan 10, 2018 17:38 |  #7169

so the sky cleared up around 4pm. I went out into the yard with the dog and a hawk was circling and a traffic spotter flew over.
I'll get better, but I am very please with the lens

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4694/24753474427_1f71033b61_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DHo2​xR] (external link)Hawk (external link) by Chris Barzyz (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4696/39621613421_dbc4a0f099_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23ne​8gT] (external link)Hawk (external link) by Chris Barzyz (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4609/24753488227_59d14235b9_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DHo6​DM] (external link)traffic spotter (external link) by Chris Barzyz (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4626/24753482257_078abb3ba7_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DHo4​SR] (external link)Winter tree (external link) by Chris Barzyz (external link), on Flickr

Thanks!
Chris
flickrexternal link

Pondrader
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited 8 days ago by Pondrader.
Jan 10, 2018 17:57 |  #7170

MatthewK wrote in post #18537900 (external link)

The thing is I find the 7DII file to be easy to process, everything I posted today was processed as we were chatting and thats the cool thing.. I keep everything so I have so many images to choose from its staggering. its like 10 min processing

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,716,440 views & 16869 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.