Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need suggestion for smaller softbox for senior session (Bowens)

digitalduck
594 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by digitalduck.

Jan 09, 2018 20:14 |  #1

Hi everyone, i took a look at the modifiers I currently have and i just need something for an upcoming senior session i have. Technically I have a Fotodiox EZPro 48" Octa and a small 24" softbox but it is the kind with individual rods and is falling apart.

I wanted to use my Xplor with extension head on a monopod (I have the adapter so it fits on the monopod) I would need something which is foldable or umbrella like. I know many would probably say use the big Octo, but need to replace my cheaper Neewer box which fell apart. Would like something on Amazon

Thank you for the sugestions

sponsored links
Lotto
Goldmember
2,608 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 10, 2018 03:36 |  #2

"foldable" as twist frame E-Z-fold softbox?

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
594 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 10, 2018 08:15 as a reply to  @ Lotto's post |  #3

Hi Lotto, so the kind which pops open like a 5-1 reflector? Yeah I could do that, I would just need good enough quality and something of a decent size for the task.

I like the style of the Fotodioux, and umbrella if i had the choice.. i would like the stick around $40-45

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,173 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 10, 2018 08:28 |  #4

https://www.amazon.com …age_o07_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
594 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by digitalduck. (2 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2018 14:18 |  #5

Team, thank you for looking that up.. I was almost going to post that I have a 48" and the link was for the 47" but then i saw it comes in a 32" flavor. I wonder if i could find something like that but in a bowens?

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 10, 2018 15:14 |  #6

digitalduck wrote in post #18537991 (external link)
Team, thank you for looking that up.. I was almost going to post that I have a 48" and the link was for the 47" but then i saw it comes in a 32" flavor. I wonder if i could find something like that but in a bowens?

There's this
https://www.amazon.com …ords=Bowens+Mou​nt+Softbox (external link)

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
594 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 10, 2018 15:25 |  #7

Hmm...that's nice, was trying to avoid anything with the individual ribs and was hoping for something more umbrella like or like the Fotodioux

Lotto
Goldmember
2,608 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 11, 2018 05:29 |  #8

Well, the rod and ring softbox is supposed to be stronger and last longer. EZPro has a 36" version. I have couple modifiers under $40 that are light weight and portable, which I think can work with the mono pole set up. I put them on the Xplor extension head to give you some ideas.

80x80 cm folding box, and 32" umbrella box (with front screen off), from Amazon.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
594 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 11, 2018 08:11 |  #9

Lotto wrote in post #18538522 (external link)
Well, the rod and ring softbox is supposed to be stronger and last longer. EZPro has a 36" version. I have couple modifiers under $40 that are light weight and portable, which I think can work with the mono pole set up. I put them on the Xplor extension head to give you some ideas.

80x80 cm folding box, and 32" umbrella box (with front screen off), from Amazon.

Lotto, that's a good idea. How do you like the godox folding box? in the picture? I know bigger is always better, but my 47" octo is a lot sometimes. I like the folding idea since it doesn't have the ribs and is still self contained. Plus i like having the extension head on the outside, shooting in rather than reflecting inside.

smaeda
Goldmember
1,126 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by smaeda.

Jan 11, 2018 08:57 |  #10

That folding 32" godox softbox is not bad at all for the price. I like mine and use it when it's too windy for the 48" octa. It's a bit more wobbly compared to the 24" quick box but more than usable. If you do end up buying the umbrella type octa that you have to put the stand through the zipper, just know that your tilt angle will be very limited. So like Lotto is doing, you will need to carry a boom or extension arm.

https://instagram.com/​shintarodesign (external link)
www.shintarodesign.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/shintarodesign (external link)
Canon 5Diii, 70-200mm f2.8 L, 35mm f2 IS, 100mm f2.8 L, Sony FE 85mm f1.8

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
594 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 11, 2018 09:07 as a reply to  @ smaeda's post |  #11

I agree, the umbrella type would be too much of an inconvenience, especially since i purchased the extension head awhile back, I liked having it on the outside to give me more control of things, such as tilt, like you mentioned. Yeah I am looking more towards that godox.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,959 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 11, 2018 09:20 |  #12

One option:

https://www.fotodioxpr​o.com …roducts/ezpro-deep-bowens (external link)

Another, better, option. Get it with the low profile bowens adapter to get better flash tube position in the modifier.

http://www.cheetahstan​d.com/product-p/max20.htm (external link)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

smaeda
Goldmember
1,126 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 11, 2018 10:39 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #13

Do you know if Fotodiox corrected their silver liner issue? On the 48inch octa I use, the silver lining has rubbed off quite a bit.

https://instagram.com/​shintarodesign (external link)
www.shintarodesign.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/shintarodesign (external link)
Canon 5Diii, 70-200mm f2.8 L, 35mm f2 IS, 100mm f2.8 L, Sony FE 85mm f1.8

sponsored links

1,679 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need suggestion for smaller softbox for senior session (Bowens)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.