Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 11 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 09:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dangers of Photographing Wildlife

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 11, 2018 09:58 |  #1

I've seen some instances where I'm amazed people haven't been killed doing stupid things to get a photo. We recently heard about a man killed by a raging bull elephant while trying to take a selfie with the angered animal. However, the danger is not always so obvious as was the case with this man killed by a beaver he was trying to photograph, so be sure to treat all animals with respect and keep your distance.

https://petapixel.com ...was-trying-to-photograph/ (external link)

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 11, 2018 11:05 |  #2

The biggest, most ever-present dangers are not animal attacks.

The biggest dangers are things like driving off the road because, whilst driving, you are looking into the bush for critters.

Or falling asleep at the wheel because you are driving all through the night to get to a far-away wildlife destination by sunrise.

Or spraining your ankle because you step off-balance on uneven ground, due to awkwardly carrying a tripod, camera, and 12 pound lens.

Or you break a leg because you were on a ladder that was not set on even ground, as you attempted to get up where the bird nest was to shoot the birds from eye level.

It is unfortunate that headline articles are not written about these REAL dangers of wildlife photography. . Instead, the writers write about things that barely ever happen, like animal attacks. . I suppose their job is to produce clickbait to increase readership, because more people will click on something to read about an elephant attack than will click on something that extolls the virtues of safe driving practices.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Sideshot
88 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Jan 11, 2018 12:20 |  #3

Biggest threat I have ever had looking for wildlife is peoples untrained, off leash dogs..

hobowriter
Joined Feb 2014
Feb 09, 2018 20:11 as a reply to Sideshot's post |  #4

I would guess the most dangerous part of wildlife photography is the travel by automobile. Bush planes can be a little scary, too...

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Feb 09, 2018 20:17 |  #5

Sideshot wrote in post #18538734 (external link)
Biggest threat I have ever had looking for wildlife is peoples untrained, off leash dogs..

Totally - trained ones too.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

RikWriter
Goldmember
Joined May 2004
Lakeland, FL
Feb 12, 2018 11:46 |  #6

Definitely the most dangerous part of wildlife photography is the driving, particularly late at night and early in the morning. I've never felt seriously threatened by an animal I was photographing, but I've nearly been killed by bad drivers several times while heading out or heading back.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r

sponsored links

408 views & 11 likes for this thread
Dangers of Photographing Wildlife
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.