Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 11 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 17:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sigma 150-600 sport OS and Tripod

Nascar ­ Nut
360 posts
Joined Feb 2004
Jan 11, 2018 17:01 |  #1

Just a quick question. Does having the os on while mounted on a tripod hurt the lens? I notice a lot of times while mounted on a tripod and zoomed to 600 you can still see some camera shake. Usually due to wind or resting my arm on the lens while panning.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 12, 2018 10:13 |  #2

I can't say for the Sport, but I usually leave it on when using my C version. I have never had problems with the OS on this lens Like you I do still see a little movement when at 600mm with it mounted on my tripod, even with the center column at its lowest position. I use a Slik tripod with a pan tilt head, I don't know the model though. The legs are tubular aluminium and I would think just over 20mm in diameter, but not quite an inch. My dad bought the thing new sometime around 1972 or so.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,969 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 12, 2018 10:50 |  #3

I don't imagine it can do any harm, but I also do not think that SIGMA lenses have "Tripod sensing" in the OS. Some Canon lenses do, and they automatically switch to a tripod mode.

My rule of thumb when I used to shoot the old 100-400mm (old gen IS) on a monopod (never really used it with a tripod) was if I saw any ill effect through the viewfinder when mounted on a monopod, I would turn it off. Otherwise it would stay on to help tame the movements that would still occur on a monopod.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

421 views & 2 likes for this thread
Sigma 150-600 sport OS and Tripod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.