Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 08 Jan 2018 (Monday) 03:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Anyone here backing up their RAW photos with Google Photos?

lsquare
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jan 08, 2018 03:51 |  #1

Cloud storage hasn't really been a viable option for me to backup my RAW photos as it would be too expensive. However, the Google Pixel 2 offer unlimited storage for photos and video. From what I gather, I can simply just transfer my RAW photos from my computer to a Google Pixel 2 phone and upload it to the cloud. It won't count against my storage quota. That sounds amazing and I'm wondering if anyone here is using this method to backup their images to the cloud? Seems like a really affordable solution and I also get an excellent smartphone. I wonder if there any any limitations or any issues that I may not be aware of? I'm seriously thinking of going down this path and I'm looking for some opinions on this option.

Thanks.

sponsored links
drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Post has been edited 12 days ago by drmaxx.
Jan 08, 2018 07:37 |  #2

Turns out Pixel 2's unlimited photo storage has a limit (external link)
It seems that the deal runs out in 2020. Not sure how much pictures you are talking about, but if you talk several hundred GB then it takes quite a while to transfer them to the phone and then up to the cloud.

You decision compares with typically 5 US$/mt backup plan (e.g. mozy / backblaze) = 120 US$ for the 2 year Pixel deal. I rather would get a cheaper phone and go for an easier (and with versioning) backup solution .

Donate if you love POTN

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,039 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited 7 days ago by mike_d.
Jan 13, 2018 23:33 |  #3

drmaxx wrote in post #18536181 (external link)
Turns out Pixel 2's unlimited photo storage has a limit (external link)
It seems that the deal runs out in 2020. Not sure how much pictures you are talking about, but if you talk several hundred GB then it takes quite a while to transfer them to the phone and then up to the cloud.

You decision compares with typically 5 US$/mt backup plan (e.g. mozy / backblaze) = 120 US$ for the 2 year Pixel deal. I rather would get a cheaper phone and go for an easier (and with versioning) backup solution .

And those backup solutions mentioned will backup whatever data you have, not just photos.

The Pixels are good phones, but get one because you want the phone, not because of some bundled storage.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,596 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 6 days ago by bobbyz.
Jan 14, 2018 17:12 |  #4

I do or should I say I did for bunch of shots from few years but I need to do it more often. It did take me quite a while on fast 300Mbps+ link. I did to drive and mirror from there into Photos. Nice thing I like it reminds me of the pictures I took like 2, 3 yes ago.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Jan 14, 2018 18:35 |  #5

I use backblaze to backup all my drives to the cloud. 5 bucks a month I'll gladly spend after I fried one of my HDD's.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,039 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jan 14, 2018 18:43 |  #6

mystik610 wrote in post #18540940 (external link)
I use backblaze to backup all my drives to the cloud. 5 bucks a month I'll gladly spend after I fried one of my HDD's.

The only problem I have with Backbaze is their short 30 day retention for deleted files and prior versions. I'm looking at using their B2 storage service ($5/TB/mo) with Cloudberry backup software to control the backups. Cloudberry gives a lot more control over the process.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Jan 14, 2018 18:54 |  #7

Yeaaah. I'm backing up several terrabytes of data and don't want to pay too much for cloud based backup, so stuck with the basic backblaze plan. Most of the stuff I'm putting on the cloud is archived stuff that's pretty static and access mostly read only, so I'm not too concerned about versioning.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Jan 16, 2018 16:53 |  #8

I use Backblaze as well. All my local stuff is sat on Raid drives so the chances of me losing an entire drive's worth of data is remote. A quick weekly test of each drive and glance at my BB backup is enough for me to be confident in it.

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photosexternal link

ChrisHeathcote
Joined Oct 2013
Derbyshire
Jan 19, 2018 10:54 |  #9

Another Backblaze user, although my mobile backs up to Google. I may be wrong (and it may be different for the Pixel), but I thought the unlimited storage only applied to Lo-Res files. If you wanted to store hi-res/Raw files you had to pay?

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Jan 19, 2018 15:12 |  #10

mike_d wrote in post #18540943 (external link)
I'm looking at using their B2 storage service ($5/TB/mo) with Cloudberry backup software to control the backups. Cloudberry gives a lot more control over the process.

I just see that they raised their max. backup size for the desktop version to 5 TB (last year it was 1 TB). This means that I might switch over to Cloudberry once my crashplan plan runs out in two years. But currently, I am very happy with crashplan as their software behaves very gracefully with me carrying my laptop all over the place.

Donate if you love POTN

trailblazer
Joined Dec 2007
Jan 19, 2018 17:18 |  #11

I don't find any online options attractive since I was spoilt with Crashplan.

Other providers delete your files and don't keep file versions, while Crashplan kept your files forever if you wanted and multiple versions. All for a low price.

Post Crashplan, I'm just using two NAS units. One on-site and used to backup on a daily basis. One kept off-site and I back up to it once a month over the internet, or more often if it's an especially important job, or set of files.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,039 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Jan 19, 2018 18:06 |  #12

Have you gotten the new Crashplan interface pushed to you? It looks like it was designed by a mobile app developer who decided that users need to tap a dozen things to get information that used to be visible from a single page. It's like going from Microsoft Outlook to Win8's built in mail app.

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Jan 20, 2018 02:17 |  #13

mike_d wrote in post #18544705 (external link)
Have you gotten the new Crashplan interface pushed to you? It looks like it was designed by a mobile app developer who decided that users need to tap a dozen things to get information that used to be visible from a single page. It's like going from Microsoft Outlook to Win8's built in mail app.

Yup - but that's the reason why I like crashplan. I don't need to care as I hardly use the interface. From time to time I test if I can retrieve previous versions of files and this works reasonably easy. I can handle ugly and clumsy periodically.

Donate if you love POTN

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,039 posts
Joined Aug 2009
19 hours ago |  #14

drmaxx wrote in post #18544897 (external link)
Yup - but that's the reason why I like crashplan. I don't need to care as I hardly use the interface. From time to time I test if I can retrieve previous versions of files and this works reasonably easy. I can handle ugly and clumsy periodically.

I'll always prefer a good interface no matter often I need it. They wrecked it in the name of "everything must look like a phone app" that so many developers chant today.

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
13 hours ago as a reply to mike_d's post |  #15

I know very well where you are coming from. But nowadays I am already happy, if software works as promised. There is so much pretty fluff out there that just doesn't really work and I got used to lower my standard to a point where I appreciate the stuff that just works.

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

318 views & 4 likes for this thread
Anyone here backing up their RAW photos with Google Photos?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.