Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 11 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 02:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

a first for me - Desert Cottontail

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,890 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 11, 2018 02:52 |  #1

I've always really loved the entire Lagomorph family, and treasure any opportunity to photograph a species in that order for the first time. . On Thanksgiving weekend I went to southeastern Utah and had my first ever experience with Desert Cottontails.

They only came out in early morning and late evening, so I only got to photograph them in low-light conditions. . But they were fairly cooperative and eventually (after 3 days) allowed me to get pretty close, so it worked out.

The vertical one is the only 3200 ISO shot I have ever taken with my 1D4 that I have actually been content with, even after using the camera for 4 years. . I think the only way I got away with that high ISO is by over-exposing, then bringing the exposure back down in post.

But my focus shouldn't be on the gear and the settings - shame on me! . My focus should be on the rabbits themselves because they are so freakin' awesome! . Such cool lookin' little dudes. . Love 'em!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
pcs
150 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by pcs.

Jan 11, 2018 09:38 |  #2

Very good especially for 1/60 @ 731mm! I don't see myself repeating that(and not because my longest lens is 600mm:mrgreen: ).

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,139 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 11, 2018 11:04 |  #3

Congrats, Tom! Those are adorable.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

KT29
Goldmember
2,506 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 11, 2018 23:46 |  #4

Really like the first photo Tom. The pose and the composition and colors are wonderful. Well done.ߘ

Terry

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,578 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 13, 2018 21:45 |  #5

Like these shots Tom, looks like it was a challenge with the lighting, 1/60 makes me say wow too with that set up.
Seeing this post raises a question, I shot a Rabbit in Arches NP a couple years ago thinking it was just like my Eastern Cottontail, never gave it any thought until now. So would I have shot a desert cottontail or ? When I saw him it was very late evening, I only had an 18-135 but managed to get a few decent pics of it while it appeared to be feeding on Cedar/Juniper type berries that had fell on the ground. Anyway this made me go looking for those pics and edit them which brought back a lot of memories of that day.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
11,890 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 13, 2018 22:06 |  #6

Grizz1 wrote in post #18540402 (external link)
Like these shots Tom, looks like it was a challenge with the lighting, 1/60 makes me say wow too with that set up.

What makes it so challenging is the fact that I have no Image Stabilization with my 300-800mm. . If there was IS on that lens, 1/60th wouldn't be any problem at all. . But without it, I have a lot of shots that aren't sharp because of camera movement. . Contrary to what a lot of people think, Image Stabilization is extremely helpful, even when you have your rig supported by a very stable tripod.

Seeing this post raises a question, I shot a Rabbit in Arches NP a couple years ago thinking it was just like my Eastern Cottontail, never gave it any thought until now. So would I have shot a desert cottontail or ?

These Cottontails were shot in Arches N.P., too. . According to the Park Service biologists, and every online source of biological information I could find, the only Cottontail species to live in that part of Utah is the Desert Cottontail.

I have found that Eastern Cottontails, Mountain Cottontails, and Desert Cottontails look so much alike that I would not ever be able to tell the difference. . In many areas, their ranges overlap, meaning that if I find a Cottontail in one of those areas I would never be able to tell which species it is. . But, fortunately, in the region around Arches, there is just the one species present.

Using relative ear size is an unreliable method to distinguish species, and cannot be counted on.

When I saw him it was very late evening, I only had an 18-135 but managed to get a few decent pics of it while it appeared to be feeding on Cedar/Juniper type berries that had fell on the ground. Anyway this made me go looking for those pics and edit them which brought back a lot of memories of that day.

Yes, they do seem to stay out of sight (presumably in their burrows) until very late in the evenings. . It's awesome that you were able to get decent pics, especially considering you were using an 18-135mm! . Did you happen to see him up at the end of the road near the campground?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,578 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 13, 2018 22:52 |  #7

Tom, I learned how much IS helps me the hard way. I happened upon a group of 5 Whitetailed bucks last fall in S Dakota that were getting serious in a sparring match. In my excitement upon finding them I forgot to turn the IS on and most of my photos are going in the doc bin.

I did some research too and you're answer is spot on, I must have the Desert Cottontail because of it's location. I need to spend some time photographing my local Cottontails, I've provided them with a lot of habitat but ignored them with my camera. After reading about and discussing these little guys, it has me more interested in trying to get some good shots.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
11,890 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 13, 2018 23:49 |  #8

Grizz1 wrote in post #18540433 (external link)
After reading about and discussing these little guys, it has me more interested in trying to get some good shots.

That's great!

They are so cool and spending time with them is so rewarding. Once you hang with them for a day or three, and they get used to you, they start behaving more naturally in your presence, and that's when you get to see them do some interesting things and strike some funny poses, like this:

HOSTED PHOTO

If you do get to spend time with your Cottontails, please keep us posted and let us know of how things go. I always love to hear about rabbits!

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,578 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 14, 2018 00:24 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #9

The last one is a cool shot, many ways to caption that. He knows you're not a Coyote but may be be danged scared of that big lens :-)

If I get some pics I'll let you know. I have several Rabbits on my East farm, they are wintering in heavy cover, brush piles that we made for them in a ditch. Also have wild berry thickets they enjoy. They will be easy to find but getting good light and clear shooting will be a challenge.

Steve

Trik
722 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 14, 2018 10:36 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #10

Cute bunnies. "Onion sauce, onion sauce!" (Mole annoying the rabbits in 'Wind in the Willows').

http://www.trikimages.​co.uk (external link)

sponsored links

754 views & 21 likes for this thread
a first for me - Desert Cottontail
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.