Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

lowrider
774 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 16, 2018 20:28 |  #18811

^^^^He looks happy and content :p

Lou

sponsored links
mwsilver
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 16, 2018 20:36 |  #18812

lowrider wrote in post #18542652 (external link)
^^^^He looks happy and content :p

Lou

I agree. He's the most content looking animal I've ever seen. I know that attaching human feelings and emotions to animals is kind of silly, but that frog just looks so happy!

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

edmidlifecrisis
Goldmember
2,770 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 16, 2018 22:44 |  #18813

My 7Dii recently stopped working. It would shut off while holding focus button tracking a bird. This happened in the field. Tried different lenses, with and without TCs same result. Repeated at home. I had been using it with the grip and some rechargable aa's the week before but this happened with just a regular battery. I had removed the grip for this outing as I had to hike a ways and wanted to just take one camera and one lens. So I got to the spot and the system didn't work. I had to hike back to the car and get another body!!! Crazy.

Sent it to CPS. They couldn't duplicate the problem. I spent several hours in total on the phone with their tech people. First they said it needed a circuit board then they backtracked and said it didn't and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Fast forward two weeks. I am in a blind watching a kingfisher with my 5DIV and THE SAME THING HAPPENS. Then the light bulb went off and I realized what the problem was, what both cameras had in common.

Any guesses?

OFF BRAND BATTERY.

I had been using them for a long time with no problems. But I then switched batteries in the 5DIV for a Canon battery and had no problems for the rest of the weekend. When Canon called me back I told them my theory. They shipped the camera back today after cleaning and servicing.

Anyone else have this issue?

Ed
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127634200@N05/ (external link)
https://500px.com/edtl (external link)
Instagram @elsdvm90

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,111 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 16, 2018 23:05 |  #18814

edmidlifecrisis wrote in post #18542726 (external link)
My 7Dii recently stopped working. It would shut off while holding focus button tracking a bird. This happened in the field. Tried different lenses, with and without TCs same result. Repeated at home. I had been using it with the grip and some rechargable aa's the week before but this happened with just a regular battery. I had removed the grip for this outing as I had to hike a ways and wanted to just take one camera and one lens. So I got to the spot and the system didn't work. I had to hike back to the car and get another body!!! Crazy.

Sent it to CPS. They couldn't duplicate the problem. I spent several hours in total on the phone with their tech people. First they said it needed a circuit board then they backtracked and said it didn't and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Fast forward two weeks. I am in a blind watching a kingfisher with my 5DIV and THE SAME THING HAPPENS. Then the light bulb went off and I realized what the problem was, what both cameras had in common.

Any guesses?

OFF BRAND BATTERY.

I had been using them for a long time with no problems. But I then switched batteries in the 5DIV for a Canon battery and had no problems for the rest of the weekend. When Canon called me back I told them my theory. They shipped the camera back today after cleaning and servicing.

Wow, that is weird. Hey, juice is juice. What could be the difference? Well, today's camera batteries also have chips. Who knows.

My off-brand batteries have never done this.

I guess time will tell with your cameras and batteries. Have you scrutinized the contacts?

My 7D2 is also broke, the main dial is malfunctioning. It still works, but takes several clicks to increment a setting. And it was getting worse each month. Off to Canon it went. Now I'm using a 77D. Not sure yet if the 77D is up to it... hoping.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
13,678 posts
Gallery: 1913 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 17, 2018 06:23 |  #18815

Any guesses?

OFF BRAND BATTERY.

I'm kinda shocked Ed... You put so much time and energy into your photography, you travel to other country's, and for less then a tank of gas you put yourself in a bad place. My wheel is starting to work much better again. I'll never send it away again unless its major. cleaning and servicing to me means filling with dirt and dust.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

RMyers
284 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 17, 2018 14:28 |  #18816

OFF BRAND BATTERY.

Never had one fail for me. What brand? I've got a few Wasabi ones, but use up my Canon ones first before I switch.

Rusty
Austin, TX

edmidlifecrisis
Goldmember
2,770 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 17, 2018 22:52 |  #18817

RMyers wrote in post #18543213 (external link)
Never had one fail for me. What brand? I've got a few Wasabi ones, but use up my Canon ones first before I switch.

Wasabi. As I said I have used them for a couple of years with no issues so I am mystified but that is the only explanation I can come up with.

Ed
Instagram @elsdvm90

Pondrader
13,678 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 18, 2018 08:17 |  #18818

edmidlifecrisis wrote in post #18543514 (external link)
Wasabi. As I said I have used them for a couple of years with no issues so I am mystified but that is the only explanation I can come up with.

That right there is your answer Ed, battery's age and yours just came to an age were their life is over really. That same issue is why Apple slowed the processors on the iPhones of older phones. ...They were shutting down... so you have your own answer to the puzzle.

flickr (external link)

Pondrader
13,678 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Jan 18, 2018 08:19 |  #18819

What has big eyes....... a long tongue... O never mind

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Pondrader's gallery.

flickr (external link)

edmidlifecrisis
Goldmember
2,770 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 18, 2018 14:08 |  #18820

Pondrader wrote in post #18543649 (external link)
That right there is your answer Ed, battery's age and yours just came to an age were their life is over really. That same issue is why Apple slowed the processors on the iPhones of older phones. ...They were shutting down... so you have your own answer to the puzzle.

I think you are correct. It is returning today and I got a few new Canon batteries in the mail yesterday. Bite the bullet, spend the $$...

Ed
Instagram @elsdvm90

Pondrader
13,678 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by Pondrader.

Jan 18, 2018 14:24 |  #18821

edmidlifecrisis wrote in post #18543877 (external link)
I think you are correct. It is returning today and I got a few new Canon batteries in the mail yesterday. Bite the bullet, spend the $$...

I know it feels like wasted money but really its part of the game.. and you really don't need that happening in the field with something great in front of you.

I have a few in the brown " on its last legs" in the camera battery check. I should do the same. Mine are all Canon

flickr (external link)

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,347 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 18, 2018 15:46 |  #18822

Valuable lessons here. I've also had my share of third-party batteries and sudden, intermittent issues with them (and it's never a good time, always seems to be just as I'm waiting for "the big race" to start). I should have learned my lesson by now - still have a few in my camera bag though...always been a slow learner :-)

All New Year, All New Sig !

Pondrader
13,678 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 18, 2018 15:51 |  #18823

TustinMike wrote in post #18543939 (external link)
Valuable lessons here. I've also had my share of third-party batteries and sudden, intermittent issues with them (and it's never a good time, always seems to be just as I'm waiting for "the big race" to start). I should have learned my lesson by now - still have a few in my camera bag though...always been a slow learner :-)

lol thats what I'm talking about !!

flickr (external link)

britain
719 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Jun 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by britain. (2 edits in all)

Jan 18, 2018 17:43 |  #18824

Small Desert Coyote or Fox. EDIT confirmed Kit Fox from another Desert folk.

IMAGE: http://icorva.com/PHOTOS/2018/CARRIZO/CC1.JPG

7D2, 20D , 100-400L, EFS 17-85 , EFS 18-135, EFS 10-18mm, 100 2.8 macro , ring light, 430EX II, PD Capture Pro, Lifted modified Jeep to shake it all up:)

My Website HERE (external link)

PJJ205
214 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Jan 18, 2018 17:50 as a reply to  @ britain's post |  #18825

I think that is a Kit Fox, not a baby coyote. I could be wrong though. Cool find!

sponsored links

4,915,575 views & 83,012 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.