Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 14 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 11:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Looking for input in finding photo printer

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Jan 20, 2018 23:42 |  #16

Plus the print quality is so good, the newest printers may have extra features, but they are all high quality.

Also, I know calibrating a monitor using a gadget it the best way, but I do it just using a couple of prints. It did take a bit to figure out which photos to use, but any new monitor I just bring up 2 photos and I can calibrate the monitor (I know exactly what the colors should look like, but I started with printed versions).

Print profiles are trivial. You will get them from any paper manufacturer and just copy them into a directory.

IDK, people spending $1000's on camera gear to look at shots on a 1080 monitor and complaining about spending a few $100 on ink each year to print. Doesn't make sense to me. Yes, you will probably spend some money trying things to start with, but after that, it is not that expensive to print your own. I guess it is somewhat symptomatic of the digital age where you buy the gear and expect not to spend any money actually making photographs.

Now, sure, if you are motivated to send you images off to get them printed, and you have everything calibrated to get what you expect, fine, I'm not knocking that. But if having a printer means you'll use it and print images instead of just looking at them on a screen, I will always highly recommend it.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links
elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Jan 21, 2018 02:13 |  #17

Id rather look at pics on a 65" 4k tv
Once 8k is reasonably priced i wouldnt mind using that to view pictures.
However printing also has its uses

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

SpiderMonkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2017
Pearland, Texas
Jan 21, 2018 16:44 as a reply to ejenner's post |  #18

I have to admit that I do really enjoy looking at printed photos that I can actually hold in my hand rather than viewing them on a monitor. Something about holding that picture in my hand adds so much more to the excitement of photography as a hobby. Just my opinion but, I'm sure that I'm not alone in that feeling.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Jan 21, 2018 17:56 |  #19

SpiderMonkey wrote in post #18546039 (external link)
I have to admit that I do really enjoy looking at printed photos that I can actually hold in my hand rather than viewing them on a monitor. Something about holding that picture in my hand adds so much more to the excitement of photography as a hobby. Just my opinion but, I'm sure that I'm not alone in that feeling.

You can't beat the reality of an actual printed image. It's something that you can pass around ... and you can mount and frame it and hang it on a wall to show how much it means to you.

There will come the day, no doubt (but not while I am alive), when whole walls are digital and images can be electronically hung. Until then (and far beyond me), I get huge satisfaction from the whole process of printing an image, finding a frame and mount, and hanging it somewhere where I (and others) can appreciate it well.

Nothing electronic that is currently available even remotely compares ... it falls a zillion miles short and then some.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Post has been edited 29 days ago by ejenner.
Jan 21, 2018 20:13 |  #20

elitejp wrote in post #18545592 (external link)
Id rather look at pics on a 65" 4k tv
Once 8k is reasonably priced i wouldnt mind using that to view pictures.
However printing also has its uses

I though someone might mention 4k.

Actually I didn't realize how inexpensive 4K TVs are now. You could even be used as those digital frames with one or two in a room :).

Although 'interesting' how some people seem to need 40+MP to make a decent photo and others are fine with 70 dpi on a screen.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Jan 21, 2018 21:52 |  #21

I mean they are all options and as long as you are enjoying whatever medium you are using then thats fine. I took a usb drive with pictures on it and tested it out on 1080p and 4k tvs at the store and I could see a clear difference.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

sponsored links

1,930 views & 8 likes for this thread
Looking for input in finding photo printer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.