Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 22 Dec 2016 (Thursday) 14:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony DSC-RX100 II, reviewed by grantiago

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND grantiago (showing now: grantiago)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Qualityn/a
not rated
Value for Moneyn/a
not rated
Must Haven/a
not rated
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expectedn/a
not rated
AF Performancen/a
not rated
Handling and Ergonomicsn/a
not rated
User-interfacen/a
not rated
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Sony DSC-RX100 II

grantiago
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Boise, Idaho
Dec 22, 2016 14:22 |  #1

You gotta be kidding me. No one on this whole site has one of these? I see them everywhere. This camera goes in your pocket.You can take it skiing, kayaking, backpacking -- anywhere. It takes great shots. Weighs nothing. It fits perfectly in a mini pelican-box. I might sell my 7d because this little Sony gets way more use.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Dec 22, 2016 18:10 |  #2

There are several of us that have RX100 series cameras, come on over to the Sony forum. The little guy is a useful beast, and the portability factor is huge.

Welcome to the board!

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Charlie ­ Victor
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Charlie Victor. 4 edits done in total.
Jan 24, 2018 06:04 as a reply to mickeyb105's post |  #3

I was a Sony R100 mk I early adopter until my wife gave it a perfect rugby drop kick whilst walking, it landing several metres in front of her on to a marble floor. Holding my breath didn't help; it ended badly for the camera.

I replaced the mk I with a mk II, choosing it over a mk III and a mk IV (the mk V didn't exist back then) simply because I wanted a hot shoe. This has proven to be the right decision as I travel extensively with my work and the mk II has become the core of an "always with me" portable system with which I do the majority of my photography; Lowepro 110 "video camera" bag, Well featured Sony HVL F32M flash gun, 52mm filter adaptor, 52mm 1A filter and lens cap as extra protection, 52mm ND8 filter in one of the bag pockets, turret viewfinder for bright light in another bag pocket, spare SD cards and cleaning kit in the top pocket, spare batteries (camera and flash) plus table top tripod in the front pocket.

The flash opens up range of options not available with the tiny built-in flash (softer fill light as well as rotated bounce and power advantages when needed) and the table top tripod gets a lot of use such as night time shots when holding it against a wall or item of street furniture and using the 2 second timer. The turret viewfinder is great in bright light as two of the lenses in it almost exactly match the extremes of the mk II zoom and the grid makes it easy to aim properly and retain good composition technique.

I have only two complaints with this amazing camera and what it enables; the lens rotary dial packed up after six months the same as it did on the mk I and the rear rotary dial became sticky to the point of unusable after 18 months; the former is still broken and I have semi-solved the latter with electronic contact cleaner and a can of compressed air but it is still troublesome and results in unwanted menus being opened through applying pressure when all I want to do is rotate the dial. I will probably glue a ridge on the dial so I can pinch it between thumb and forefinger and rotate without applying downwards pressure. (Edited to add: I found the repair instructions online to fit a new circuit board on which the rear dial in mounted. I have no desire to go down this route!)

Following are two quick smartphone images of the system I describe.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D and 5D IV / EF 16-35mm f/4 L / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-300mm L / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Sony RX100M2 / HVL-F32M / Turret optical viewfinder
GoPro Hero 3+ / Head mount / Chest mount / Suction mount / Hand grip

Charlie ­ Victor
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Jan 24, 2018 06:20 |  #4

An example of using the turret viewfinder in bright light to grab a panned image that I would have struggled to get without it (Prescott Hillclimb in the UK), and of using the tabletop tripod on an item of street furniture (Wellington, NZ).

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D and 5D IV / EF 16-35mm f/4 L / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-300mm L / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Sony RX100M2 / HVL-F32M / Turret optical viewfinder
GoPro Hero 3+ / Head mount / Chest mount / Suction mount / Hand grip

1,668 views & 1 like for this thread
Sony DSC-RX100 II, reviewed by grantiago
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.