Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If ancient 30D is still good enough for National Geographic why upgrade your camera?

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,605 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined May 2011

Dec 22, 2017 19:09 |  #226

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18515092 (external link)
You are both right on the money.

NG uses my photos somewhat regularly in various different publications. Several years ago, I "upgraded" from using a 50D / 5Dc combination to using a 1D Mark 4. . Yet NG still, to this day, uses many of the photos that I took years ago with the 50D and the 5Dc.

So why did I upgrade? . Well, sure, I could sometimes take a picture good enough for NG with the 5Dc or the 50D - when the animals weren't moving around too rapidly, or when there was enough light. . But the 1D Mark 4 allows me to take MORE photos that are good enough for NG. . There used to be situations at dusk when I just couldn't get a good photo, but now in those same situations I can get a good enough photo with my 1D4. . Better gear increases the total number of photos I can get during the course of a day. . Many of the 1D4 photos that I sell could not have been taken with the 50D or the 5D.

The goal isn't to take a photo that is "good enough" for NG. . The goal is to license as many photos as possible to NG (and other publishers), so that one can have a continuous flow of income from such sales. . So one really needs a huge ____load of photos that are good enough for NG, and one typically demands of one's self to produce such photos every time one heads out with the camera.

These days, I often have encounters with wildlife and can't get a "good enough" photo, because my 1D4 simply isn't up to the task. So I will soon upgrade again, either to a 5D4 or a 1Dx. Why? So that I can take better pictures? Not really. Rather, so that I can take pictures of the same quality, but in worse conditions.

I think that I understand what you mean.

Often times, the gear we have does not have enough resolution. . And the high ISO performance isn't good enough. . But we should identify the weak link in our gear and assess the gear according to the specific uses that we have in mind for our work. . Upgrading specifically to get more resolution doesn't make any sense if we are only going to make little 16" by 20" prints, and upgrading for better high ISO performance is unnecessary if we are always using artificial lighting and shooting static subjects. . We should have good, logical reasons for upgrading, and fully understand exactly what the upgrade will do for our imagery.

I hate to quote the whole post but it does allow people to know to whom I'm addressing my own post.

Tom, I'm with you on this though I have taken what I believe to be very interesting photographs with my 1D IV. The files have a certain look that I enjoy.

However, like you, I have run up against some limitations when the sun is setting. I'm not a professional like you are so perhaps it shouldn't matter to me, but it does.

I'm going to find a way over the next couple years to upgrade to a 1D X Mkii. From what I've read, it's quite a leap from the 1D X Mark 1, let alone our 1D IV's. Prices will continue to drop and eventually, a 1D X Mark iii will be out.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

albemarledesigner
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 23, 2017 21:31 |  #227

I love the old cameras...I still use my Nikon D200 for all types of work, including weddings, and haven't had one bit of problem. Those older cameras were built to last, that's for sure.

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 28, 2017 02:47 |  #228

saea501 wrote in post #18514790 (external link)
I've been a NatGeo member since the late 60s and have always loved their photography.

However.....when you look closely at the pictures in the magazine, and at the same time, if you consider the truly great quality of most of the pictures posted here and what gets heavily critiqued here, many of NatGeo's pictures would be lambasted as being out of focus, noisy and suffering from lens distortion.

Maybe that should provide some healthy perspective for us.

Roamingbull
627 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by Roamingbull.

Jan 25, 2018 20:44 |  #229

But however are the big brands going to make more money off of you, if your OK with your older model? You MUST UPGRADE to be considered legit. Congrats! on the picture. Nice shot, and Ill bet that was some special moment for you.

If you dont mind my asking, did they request to purchase the rights of the image?

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

54,607 views & 29 likes for this thread
If ancient 30D is still good enough for National Geographic why upgrade your camera?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.