Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Jan 2018 (Friday) 08:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6DII Bluetooth - useless?

HWolf
243 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 08:36 |  #1

Been playing around with Bluetooth on my 6DII and as far as I can tell, it does - nothing. You can connect camera and pair with your smartphone, but absolutely nothing else. Can't see images on the camera - tries to switch to wifi. Can't shoot remotely - switches to wifi. Am I missing something or is it really that useless? Does it have a function?

sponsored links
Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,781 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 26, 2018 08:44 |  #2

I used Bluetooth connection to shoot remotely on my 5D4 last week. First time I tried, worked well.
Only problem I had was disconnecting cleanly, have not looked into that yet.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

HWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 09:17 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #3

6DII

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,106 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Jan 26, 2018 11:48 |  #4

Have you tried looking for a APP for your phone, which is oriented to functionality pertinent to connected cameras?

Simply establishing a Bluetooth connection betweeen two devices merely establishes a line of communications between them...THEN you have to have them do something useful that USES that communications path!

There are apps for Andoid like Canon Camera Connect, for example. Other apps connect via wi-fi, not bluetooth.

Per the Canon blurb, there does not seem to be a lot of function using Bluetooth, though.
" Bluetooth® also lets you quickly and easily connect the EOS 6D Mark II camera to the optional Wireless Remote Control BR-E1 for remote shooting."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,781 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 26, 2018 12:23 |  #5

Yeah, I did not miss the fact you have 6D2.

Canon connect app:

[Features and compatible models]
1) Wi-Fi connection with the camera for image transfer and remote live view shooting.
2) Adding location information to camera images
3) Bluetooth connection with enabled cameras
4) NFC touch operation with enabled cameras

[SUPporting features: 1, 3, 4]
EOS 6D Mark II
(Remote release of the camera shutter via Bluetooth is available with the BR-E1, sold separately)

[SUPporting features: 1, 4]
EOS 5D Mark IV

Dave
Image editing OK

HWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 12:44 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #6

Thanks! Just making sure I wasn't missing something! Apparently its only function is to pair with a bluetooth remote that Canon sells.

HWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 13:06 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #7

So, you own the bluetooth remote control, yes?

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,781 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 26, 2018 14:29 as a reply to  @ HWolf's post |  #8

No. I installed Canon Connect app on phone. I setup camera near a birds nest then shot video from about 10 metres away. I got jerky live view on phone. Good enough to check framing. BR-E1 is not compatible with 5D4.

Dave
Image editing OK

HWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 14:34 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #9

Aye, I can do that too, but not with Bluetooth connection.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,861 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 26, 2018 14:39 |  #10

HWolf wrote in post #18549508 (external link)
Thanks! Just making sure I wasn't missing something! Apparently its only function is to pair with a bluetooth remote that Canon sells.

Maybe a more accurate way to put it is that it's function is to establish a BT connection. What you do with that connection is up to you and the APP you chose to use.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

HWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 14:47 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #11

*nod* I am talking solely about the Canon Camera Connect app. It allows you to connect, and pair, with a smartphone via bluetooth. But if you disable wifi and try and use either View Images on Camera or Remote Shooting it immediately fails saying there is no wifi connection. I'd like to know more about the 5D4 and how it works now...

HWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 14:59 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #12

Ok, I checked. Unless I'm mistaken, the 5D mark IV doesn't even HAVE Bluetooth. I think your connections have all been with wifi, which has nothing at all to do with my inquiry.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,824 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by John from PA.

Jan 26, 2018 15:14 |  #13

Just fooling around in a store I was readily able to connect a 6D with a smartphone. I used the directions at http://support-hk.canon-asia.com …nts/HK/EN/82035​92700.html (external link) following the specific steps for Bluetooth. I would also check https://www.usa.canon.​com …era-connect-compatibility (external link) and consider using Canon's camera connect utility.

HWolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
243 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 15:37 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #14

Yes, I have successfully made a connection via Bluetooth, but nothing can actually be done with it.

Nethawked
775 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 15:57 |  #15

Bluetooth is nothing more than a wireless communication protocol for short distances. You can do as much, or as little, as you can do with a wifi connection. Like others have said, it's the app you will be doing something with, not the transmission.

sponsored links

2,225 views & 3 likes for this thread
6DII Bluetooth - useless?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.