Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 01 Dec 2017 (Friday) 17:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problems with B&H Photo...

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,871 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 23, 2018 19:51 |  #61

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18547449 (external link)
And once again......I bought an item from B&H on Saturday (only because adorama and Amazon didn't have it in stock) for a specific photo shoot tomorrow. I paid extra for one day shipping to make sure it would be here today. It won't be. It says it's arriving tomorrow, and I highly doubt it will be here in time for the photo shoot. I'm guessing they will blame it on UPS again. Funny thing is, I bought a different item from Amazon the exact same time, they also shipped it via UPS, and it was on the way to my house at 8am this morning.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm guessing there have been shipping errors on three of my last five or six orders from B&H.

This time, did you at least talk to someone on the phone about your extreme shipping needs, or did you once again just click on things on their website and expect it all to "just work out somehow"?

You need to realize that many of the items that B&H sells are not in their possession.

These days, retailers often act as no more than "order processors", and don't even stock a lot of the items that they sell. . This is one reason it is necessary to call and speak to a sales rep - he/she will be able to find out if the item is actually in their possession, or if it is something in some manufacturer's warehouse thousands of miles away.

I really needed an item from B&H this past November. . So I called them and spoke to a sales rep about my need for having the item rushed out right away. . He transferred me to "someone who would know more about that". . The 2nd sales rep had a very good knowledge of their inventory and shipping timeframe, and assured me that he would see to it personally that my item was packaged and shipped out "right away, before I do anything else". . The item was shipped within a couple of hours and arrived at my Denver, CO hotel just two days later, via USPS Priority Mail.

That's right - there's no need for any expensive overnight stuff or one day shipping when you talk to a live human and have them personally expedite your order.

It seems odd to me that one would care enough about fast delivery to pay extra for expedited shipping, but not care enough to spend 5 minutes making a phone call. . If you did call them and speak to a rep, then my apologies for presuming that you didn't.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 23, 2018 20:10 |  #62

AZGeorge wrote in post #18547674 (external link)
In my world, a critical item needed on Wednesday would have been ordered days if not weeks in advance or, in emergency, a call would have gone out to local friends and associates. That vendors and shippers get their acts together to the point that ordered items arrive in two or three business days still seems like a blooming miracle to me. That B&H is located in MYY and there is an Amazon warehouse in DFW would explain some of the difference in shipping times to you in beautiful Houston.

If it's offered it should be fulfilled. If it can't be fulfilled it should no longer be offered. This is why I only shop at B&H as a very last resort. If I offer a photography package with 15 images, and another with 20 images, and a client pays for the 20 image package, who is at fault if I only deliver 15 images? Does it matter when the client contacted me or what the industry standard is? If I offer it as a service, but can't get it done, it's on me. Simple as that.

And even though I shouldn't have to do this, I'll address your earlier point about not ordering the item sooner. I was approached for an engagement shoot that will be happening midday in an ill advised location. The couple booked very last minute and we didn't even have the date set until Saturday evening. After setting the date I ordered a specific light stand for a strobe, and hired an assistant (which I would not normally do for an engagement shoot) to hold that stand and light, just so I could make their experience and images the best they could be. Could I have said, "Well, it's your fault for picking this location and time, and that's why these images aren't as good as they could be?" Of course I could have, but I took money out of my pocket to give them the best experience possible. So it's a tad bit frustrating when B&H can't also come through on their end with a basic service that they claim to offer.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 23, 2018 20:20 |  #63

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18547691 (external link)
This time, did you at least talk to someone on the phone about your extreme shipping needs, or did you once again just click on things on their website and expect it all to "just work out somehow"?

You need to realize that many of the items that B&H sells are not in their possession.

These days, retailers often act as no more than "order processors", and don't even stock a lot of the items that they sell. . This is one reason it is necessary to call and speak to a sales rep - he/she will be able to find out if the item is actually in their possession, or if it is something in some manufacturer's warehouse thousands of miles away.

I really needed an item from B&H this past November. . So I called them and spoke to a sales rep about my need for having the item rushed out right away. . He transferred me to "someone who would know more about that". . The 2nd sales rep had a very good knowledge of their inventory and shipping timeframe, and assured me that he would see to it personally that my item was packaged and shipped out "right away, before I do anything else". . The item was shipped within a couple of hours and arrived at my Denver, CO hotel just two days later, via USPS Priority Mail.

That's right - there's no need for any expensive overnight stuff or one day shipping when you talk to a live human and have them personally expedite your order.

It seems odd to me that one would care enough about fast delivery to pay extra for expedited shipping, but not care enough to spend 5 minutes making a phone call. . If you did call them and speak to a rep, then my apologies for presuming that you didn't.

If it's offered it should be fulfilled. If it can't be fulfilled it should no longer be offered. This is why I only shop at B&H as a very last resort. If I offer a photography package with 15 images, and another with 20 images, and a client pays for the 20 image package, who is at fault if I only deliver 15 images? Does it matter when the client contacted me or what the industry standard is? If I offer it as a service, but can't get it done, it's on me. Simple as that.

I shouldn't have to call on the phone for them to fulfill a service they offer.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,871 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 23, 2018 23:01 |  #64

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18547705 (external link)
I shouldn't have to call on the phone for them to fulfill a service they offer.

So long as you continue to put your trust into automated systems, I think you will continue to have things fall between the cracks, and be frustrated as a result.

Automated systems usually fail when someone wants something that is a bit out of the ordinary - and repeatedly having these extreme shipping timeframe issues is definitely out of the ordinary.

If you just make a phone call and let the nice people help you, you won't have these problems anymore.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

henryp
411 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by henryp.

Jan 24, 2018 10:50 |  #65

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18547449 (external link)
And once again......I bought an item from B&H on Saturday (only because adorama and Amazon didn't have it in stock) for a specific photo shoot tomorrow. I paid extra for one day shipping to make sure it would be here today. It won't be. It says it's arriving tomorrow, and I highly doubt it will be here in time for the photo shoot. I'm guessing they will blame it on UPS again. Funny thing is, I bought a different item from Amazon the exact same time, they also shipped it via UPS, and it was on the way to my house at 8am this morning.

Web No: 1049327311 was placed Sunday, Jan 21st after 4:00am EST. UPS reported, "01/21/2018 1:00 P.M. Package is in transit to a UPS facility." Shipped the same day as ordered. UPS now says, "01/24/2018 9:20 A.M. Out For Delivery Today." They have also been reporting weather related service interruptions through the week, last week. We have refunded the s&h fee originally applied to the order and apologize, on behalf of UPS, for your dissatisfaction and inconvenience.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

henryp
411 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by henryp.

Jan 24, 2018 10:56 |  #66

Recent service alert from UPS, as mentioned in my previous post.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 24, 2018 13:34 |  #67

henryp wrote in post #18547997 (external link)
Web No: 1049327311 was placed Sunday, Jan 21st after 4:00am EST. UPS reported, "01/21/2018 1:00 P.M. Package is in transit to a UPS facility." Shipped the same day as ordered. UPS now says, "01/24/2018 9:20 A.M. Out For Delivery Today." They have also been reporting weather related service interruptions through the week, last week. We have refunded the s&h fee originally applied to the order and apologize, on behalf of UPS, for your dissatisfaction and inconvenience.

Thank you.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Nismode
Goldmember
1,724 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 24, 2018 14:31 |  #68

Seems like your beef (and the thread title should reflect) your problem with UPS and shipping companies in general. As someone noted, these systems put in place aren’t failsafe, as human intervention is needed somewhere along the line. Sh*t happens with regards to shipping at times and things that we can’t control (just like you couldn’t control the last minute session).

Given your previously told alleged issues with B&H, I would have found a more local alternative even if it wasn’t exactly what was needed.

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
6D|EOS M5|Mavic Air
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)|Rokinon 50 f/1.2 (EF-M)
Σ 12-24mm II|40mm f/2.8 STM|50 f/1.8 STM|85 f/1.8|70-200 f/4 L IS
Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|TT350c
Everything's for sale for the right price ;)

elitejp
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by elitejp.

Jan 24, 2018 18:46 |  #69

i think you should just stay away from ordering things online.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Nethawked
784 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 11:12 |  #70

Ordering between Black Friday and Christmas is always a gamble as to speedy product receipt. Any expectations of immediate receipt during winter is also a pipe dream. Didn't it snow in Florida in early December?

I agree with the above. With your expectations and apparent lack of experience you should be sticking to shopping at brick & mortar stores.

sponsored links

11,749 views & 79 likes for this thread
Problems with B&H Photo...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.