Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 20 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Computer Build Advice Needed

alex66
220 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 22, 2018 16:44 |  #16

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18546680 (external link)
Much less than that if you shop around.

www.kinguin.net (external link) or even ebay, cheaper fully legal Windows 10 codes can be found in a number of places.

I got a sealed win10 pro disk off the bay for less than $30, not sure if home edition would be any less than that. As a long time Mac user I have to say I am extremely impressed with Win 10 it has the stability that I felt OsX lost a good few generations ago.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

Pinto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,074 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 22, 2018 19:28 |  #17

Thank you both.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,264 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by kf095.

Jan 24, 2018 09:53 |  #18

Here is one big advantage for Pro in Win 7 and I guess in Win 10 as well. If you have not Pro, every time you'll open folder with large quantity of images, non Pro will always re-read it all. I have 10K+ JPEG1 folder and with Windows 7 non Pro it takes several minutes to re-read it every time I open it.

As for computer building, one case is building from very expensive parts and for gaming. Makes sense to buy separately at lowest price from different vendors.
But if it is just for photography here is no reason for it, IMO. Choose reputable brand in your country. Where I'm it is Dell. They have real service and it could be for 3+ years, full warranty.
I would just build within what is available from them. Because for photography no monstrosity is needed. Just any advanced (external) graphic card, maximum of RAM and single HDD. This will do.
Redundancy is achievable with non Windows disk image created once you have all you need installed. Stored on not expensive and not huge in capacity USB drive.
Then images redundancy is easily achievable with writing on two separate and not expensive anymore 4-6TB USB external hard drives, or simplest NAS. I have mine build on free left-overs and under free NAS OS.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Pinto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,074 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 24, 2018 10:03 |  #19

kf095 wrote in post #18547966 (external link)
Here is one big advantage for Pro in Win 7 and I guess in Win 10 as well. If you have not Pro, every time you'll open folder with large quantity of images, non Pro will always re-read it all. I have 10K+ JPEG1 folder and with Windows 7 non Pro it takes several minutes to re-read it every time I open it.

As for computer building, one case is building from very expensive parts and for gaming. Makes sense to buy separately at lowest price from different vendors.
But if it is just for photography here is no reason for it, IMO. Choose reputable brand in your country. Where I'm it is Dell. They have real service and it could be for 3+ years, full warranty.
I would just build within what is available from them. Because for photography no monstrosity is needed. Just any advanced (external) graphic card, maximum of RAM and single HDD. This will do.
Redundancy is achievable with non Windows disk image created once you have all you need installed. Stored on not expensive and not huge in capacity USB drive.
Then images redundancy is easily achievable with writing on two separate and not expensive anymore 4-6TB USB external hard drives, or simplest NAS. I have mine build on free left-overs and under free NAS OS.

Thank you. Yes, this will probably my 7th or 8th Dell System. I've been very happy with them.

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,655 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 26, 2018 17:09 |  #20

Pekka wrote in post #18545690 (external link)
Consider building your own PC, it is both fun and educational, and you'll know exactly what you get :)

This. Times six. Or even 89.

It's simple enough to research online the various technologies of
modern computers, and you will often wind up with a LOT more than
what the pre-assembled vendors will offer, at a lower cost.
In addition, you'll get none of the bloated add-ons so often pre-installed
on major vendors' machines, making your system run far more efficiently.
Think: Acrobat 'updater,' etc.

There are even many online vendors of individual components
which will offer 'system configurators' to shoppers. They offer
systems assembled from off-the-shelf components, to your own
liking/specifications. Pre-assembled, pre-tested, often with some
guarantee. Comes with an installer disk of the OS of your choice,
whatever you select, with NONE of the extra fluff.
These typically offer far more flexibility with any future upgrades
of hardware, and do not incur the high cost of vendor-specific
hardware manufactured 'exclusively' for their systems.

NewEgg (external link) is one such vendor, one I have been purchasing from for years.

CraigΣ 10-20|Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|More Manual-Focus glass
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,774 views & 3 likes for this thread
Computer Build Advice Needed
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.