Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
Thread started 25 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 17:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Asked to photograph inside of a shop ?

Anto ­ Modded
419 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 25, 2018 17:08 |  #1

Ive be asked to shoot the inside of a small shop that sell bikes etc, ive a 800d and 18 - 55mm lense but i dont think the lense will do the job. i would like to buy a wide angle lense new or secondhand. i have tripod and shutter release and a plash and triggers but unsure as to what lense would be best suited. Any suggestions would be great.

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,630 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 25, 2018 17:17 |  #2

How much are you earning for the job? If it is a one time job paying $100.00 or $200.00 USD it would be hard justifying buying a new lens for it. Your lens should do fine. Then if you see where you may line up several jobs doing this and realize you need a better lens, then start looking for a lens that is better suited than what you have to get the job done.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
42,628 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 25, 2018 17:47 |  #3

You can rent a lens. Especially for a one off shoot.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Anto ­ Modded
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 25, 2018 17:55 as a reply to  @ Nogo's post |  #4

I have 2 other jobs i can use a lense on also. I was looking at canon 10 - 20mm or tokya (spelt wring) 10 - 16mm...... i will definately use the lense for other stuff so i dont mind purchasing one.

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
42,628 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 25, 2018 17:57 |  #5

Anto Modded wrote in post #18548921 (external link)
I have 2 other jobs i can use a lense on also. I was looking at canon 10 - 20mm or tokya (spelt wring) 10 - 16mm...... i will definately use the lense for other stuff so i dont mind purchasing one.

I have the Tokina AT-X 124 AF Pro DX 12-24mm f/4 that I was able to score new for $160. Every so often you can catch a deal.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Alveric
Goldmember
4,412 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 25, 2018 23:30 |  #6

I've used a crop camera and an 18-55mm kit lens for interiors. But if the space is too cramped, it might indeed not work.

Just make sure your camera is level/parallel with the ground so that you won't get keystoning.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,513 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 25, 2018 23:49 |  #7

The tokina 11-16/2.8 is a fantastic lens but will limit you to EF-s mounts technically. Which is fine with your current body. But 12-24/4 is the better future proof option.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Anto ­ Modded
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 26, 2018 09:39 |  #8

Was offered the lenses below for a very good price
Canon EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM
Tokina 11-16 f2.8 DX
Tokina 12-24 f4 DX

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,147 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 26, 2018 10:06 |  #9

peeaanuut wrote in post #18549118 (external link)
The tokina 11-16/2.8 is a fantastic lens but will limit you to EF-s mounts technically. Which is fine with your current body. But 12-24/4 is the better future proof option.

Not quite true! While designed for APS-C bodies, that lens will indeed fit any Canon with EF mount...Canon is the only vendor who USES the EFS mount on lenses.
I just mounted the Tokina 11-16mm on my 5D body, it fits just fine, and in the viewfinder I can see that anything shorter than about 16mm would vignette the image.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,987 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 26, 2018 10:34 |  #10

Anto Modded wrote in post #18548887 (external link)
Ive be asked to shoot the inside of a small shop that sell bikes etc, ive a 800d and 18 - 55mm lense but i dont think the lense will do the job. i would like to buy a wide angle lense new or secondhand. i have tripod and shutter release and a plash and triggers but unsure as to what lense would be best suited. Any suggestions would be great.

Another thing to consider is lighting, probably more important than a new lens. Shooting inside with poor lighting can be a nightmare and using a built in flash in a bike shop is going to be a shadow nightmare. Give careful consideration to how you are going to light the scene.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,513 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 27, 2018 11:44 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #18549350 (external link)
Not quite true! While designed for APS-C bodies, that lens will indeed fit any Canon with EF mount...Canon is the only vendor who USES the EFS mount on lenses.
I just mounted the Tokina 11-16mm on my 5D body, it fits just fine, and in the viewfinder I can see that anything shorter than about 16mm would vignette the image.

I didnt want to confuse OP which is why I said technically. I use that lens on my 5D4 quite a bit.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,193 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 27, 2018 12:06 |  #12

This:
https://shop.usa.canon​.com …f45-56-is-stm-refurbished (external link)

Done.

Anto ­ Modded
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 27, 2018 17:24 |  #13

I bought a canon 10 - 18 efs f4.5 f5.6 is stm today. Got it for 170 euro. Was used once so its like new and will do for what i want and ill have it if i ever need it. Its no 1000 euro lense but it will do me and be rarely used but there if i need it again

sponsored links

533 views & 4 likes for this thread
Asked to photograph inside of a shop ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.