Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 07:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Really struggling with pairing issues - A7rIII

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,346 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 25, 2018 07:46 |  #1

I’m completely confused by the pairing function of the A7rIII with my iPhone. I’m not understanding what the phone is doing, and why all pairing appears to be through wi-fi connections of both the phone and camera to my home system. As far as I can tell, they cannot talk directly to each other when outside of a network. Is that right? If so, great, because I can stop messing with this as the function is useless.

What I want is for the phone to control the camera when I’m in the middle of nowhere without wifi. If it cannot do that, I’ll buy a remote shutter release.
When I see Bluetooth, I assume this means the two devices will talk to each other directly with no other network, like how my phone and car can talk to each other. But when I try “Pairing” with the Sony in bluetooth, it tells me to first connect through the Play Memories app (PMM).
I went to the PMM app on my phone, and eventually got the phone and camera paired. But the way I did this was by connecting both of them to my house wi-fi network. Then I got a QR code on the camera and finished the pairing.

As soon as I left the house (and wi-fi network), The PMM app says “Not connected to a camera”. If I go into the Sony Bluetooth settings and select “pairing”, it once again tells me to make a connection with the PMM app. PMM cannot pair without a QR code, which I can only get through a wi-fi network on the camera.

Round and round I go, and I’m wondering if these devices are not supposed to be able to do what I’m trying to do.

Can anyone help me here?

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links
yellowt2
218 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 25, 2018 16:41 |  #2

I don't have experience with the A7riii, but with both my A7 and A6500 the camera can act as a Wifi source, and my phone connects directly to the camera's Wifi signal. There's probably a setting buried in a menu that allows you to turn on the camera's Wifi.

ccp900
Goldmember
1,477 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by ccp900.

Jan 29, 2018 05:52 |  #3

JeffreyG wrote in post #18548529 (external link)
I’m completely confused by the pairing function of the A7rIII with my iPhone. I’m not understanding what the phone is doing, and why all pairing appears to be through wi-fi connections of both the phone and camera to my home system. As far as I can tell, they cannot talk directly to each other when outside of a network. Is that right? If so, great, because I can stop messing with this as the function is useless.

What I want is for the phone to control the camera when I’m in the middle of nowhere without wifi. If it cannot do that, I’ll buy a remote shutter release.
When I see Bluetooth, I assume this means the two devices will talk to each other directly with no other network, like how my phone and car can talk to each other. But when I try “Pairing” with the Sony in bluetooth, it tells me to first connect through the Play Memories app (PMM).
I went to the PMM app on my phone, and eventually got the phone and camera paired. But the way I did this was by connecting both of them to my house wi-fi network. Then I got a QR code on the camera and finished the pairing.

As soon as I left the house (and wi-fi network), The PMM app says “Not connected to a camera”. If I go into the Sony Bluetooth settings and select “pairing”, it once again tells me to make a connection with the PMM app. PMM cannot pair without a QR code, which I can only get through a wi-fi network on the camera.

Round and round I go, and I’m wondering if these devices are not supposed to be able to do what I’m trying to do.

Can anyone help me here?

I'm not near my a7r3 now but with my a7s this is what I do. I turn on the WiFi connection in camera this creates a Hotspot for the phone to connect to something like ilce etc etc . after your phone connects to that you can then turn on playmemories and you can proceed

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,664 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 29, 2018 17:54 |  #4

JeffreyG wrote in post #18548529 (external link)

Can anyone help me here?

So how it works is that when you turn wifi on with the a7rIII, it will start broadcasting a wifi signal. It'll show you the network name on the screen. Connect to that on wifi network on your iphone and the two will be paired together. From there, open up the play memories app to shoot remotely, or transfer files from your camera to your phone.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

JeffreyG
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,346 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by JeffreyG. (2 edits in all)

Jan 29, 2018 19:55 |  #5

mystik610 wrote in post #18552001 (external link)
So how it works is that when you turn wifi on with the a7rIII, it will start broadcasting a wifi signal. It'll show you the network name on the screen. Connect to that on wifi network on your iphone and the two will be paired together. From there, open up the play memories app to shoot remotely, or transfer files from your camera to your phone.

Edit -
I deleted my long post. I'm not sure this is working still, but I actually have to leave the house to be sure.

I can get the camera and phone to link, but I have to double check if the link will remain durable. One problem is that I have to shut off the wifi in my phone every day. My work blocks our phones from the wifi network (because we have unlimited data) and so if you have wifi turned on at work it refuses to use data and simply sits dumb because it detects wifi that it cannot use. Very dumb.

Alright - I think I can get this to work. I'll report back if I'm still dumb later.

JeffreyG
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,346 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2018 20:21 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #6

I think what was originally confusing me was that I expected the pairing to be 'sticky', like when I pair my phone to a car with bluetooth, or if I pair a fitness tracker to my phone. You generally just pair them once, and whenever they are near each other they work.

It appears that basically every time I want to pair the A7rIII to my phone, I have to get the QR code displayed and reset them. My phone doesn't like the unsigned certificate from my camera, so I usually have to do the pairing twice. (unless I'm wrong here, but so far I've had to do this every time.)

1. Turn on wifi on phone.
2. Turn on camera, select "control camera with phone" or "Send pictures to phone"
3. Start PMM app.
4. Scan QR code.
5. Get told the phone has no certificate, enter phone passcode (fingerprint not good enough). The application fails.
6. Start over, repeat 1-5. For some reason, it always works the second time.
7. Go to phone settings, find DIRECT ICLE-A7R3 in the wifi list.
8. Go back to PMM App. Voila. Up and running.

In the meanwhile, the Pixel intervalometer / remote shutter is $28. But odds are usually good that when I need a remote, I've left it home. I guess I can use the phone as a backup.

ccp900
Goldmember
1,477 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 30, 2018 01:00 |  #7

JeffreyG wrote in post #18552090 (external link)
I think what was originally confusing me was that I expected the pairing to be 'sticky', like when I pair my phone to a car with bluetooth, or if I pair a fitness tracker to my phone. You generally just pair them once, and whenever they are near each other they work.

It appears that basically every time I want to pair the A7rIII to my phone, I have to get the QR code displayed and reset them. My phone doesn't like the unsigned certificate from my camera, so I usually have to do the pairing twice. (unless I'm wrong here, but so far I've had to do this every time.)

1. Turn on wifi on phone.
2. Turn on camera, select "control camera with phone" or "Send pictures to phone"
3. Start PMM app.
4. Scan QR code.
5. Get told the phone has no certificate, enter phone passcode (fingerprint not good enough). The application fails.
6. Start over, repeat 1-5. For some reason, it always works the second time.
7. Go to phone settings, find DIRECT ICLE-A7R3 in the wifi list.
8. Go back to PMM App. Voila. Up and running.

In the meanwhile, the Pixel intervalometer / remote shutter is $28. But odds are usually good that when I need a remote, I've left it home. I guess I can use the phone as a backup.

might be an apple thing but with my android I don't have to scan anything. I just turn on wifi in camera and it starts it's own wifi Hotspot. I go to my phone turn on wifi and choose the camera Hotspot and then it's set since the phone already knows the wifi password for the connection

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

sponsored links

941 views & 0 likes for this thread
Really struggling with pairing issues - A7rIII
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.