Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 14 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 22:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

No like

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Levina de Ruijter.
Jan 30, 2018 10:56 |  #16

Yes, I've had accidental Likes too when I was checking which morons liked a particularly nasty comment. And then adding myself to the list... :rolleyes:

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 30, 2018 11:06 |  #17

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18496744 (external link)
I received a notification a post was "liked". Not only is there no "like" on the post, but there is no like button.

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​496063

No complaints. Just an FYI for programming.

You have two posts on that page. . One of them has a "LIKE". . The other does not.

I think that the notification you received was for the post that did have a "LIKE", and for whatever reason you looked at your other post, just a bit below your other one on that same page, and thought that was the one that the notification was for.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,712 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Wilt.
Jan 30, 2018 11:52 |  #18

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18496807 (external link)
David, the option to withdraw a Like is coming in the next software update, whenever that will be. Pekka is working on it.

It seems that it could be insightful for both the poster and for other readers if there was a 'Disagree' button, as sometimes there are opinions expressed which are uniquely held by a small minority and they might be unaware of just how few other folks are in agreement with the opinion expressed.

And it could be helpful if the person who 'liked' a post inadvertantly could 'Undo' that within a certain period of time.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jan 30, 2018 12:23 |  #19

Wilt wrote in post #18552460 (external link)
It seems that it could be insightful for both the poster and for other readers if there was a 'Disagree' button, as sometimes there are opinions expressed which are uniquely held by a small minority and they might be unaware of just how few other folks are in agreement with the opinion expressed.

And it could be helpful if the person who 'liked' a post inadvertantly could 'Undo' that within a certain period of time.

Yes, Wilt, that would be helpful. . But Pekka has done everything he can to keep things positive here. . For instance, there is a "Positive Feeback" sticky, but no place to leave negative feedback. . I am okay with things being run with an all-positive mindset, but there are some real drawbacks to doing so.

But what you suggest would be useful. . There are, as you allude to, those whose views on photography are off-kilter and sometimes even nonsensical. . The problem with these folks is that noobies could read their posts and actually think that what they are saying is valid.

There is one guy here on the forums who is continually giving bad advice to fellow bird and wildlife photographers. . He writes his posts as if he is an authority, yet seems to have no clue when it comes to the actual picture-taking (he almost never posts images, doesn't have any link to a website, and has ZERO images in his gallery).

The problem with this is that those who are new to photography might read his posts and actually follow his bad advice, because he writes his opinions so authoritatively and so forcefully. . The poor noobs would never realize that he doesn't know what he is talking about and that he is steering them in a completely wrong direction. . If there was a "DISAGREE" button, as you suggest, then there would probably be a bunch of "disagrees" affixed to his posts, and then the aspiring noobies would be less likely to follow his bad advice.

But, as I said earlier, I think that Pekka wants to avoid anything that is negative at all, even though that policy could lead to the rampant dissemination of misinformation. . Like everything else in life, it's just a compromise that has to be made.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Jan 30, 2018 12:26 |  #20

DaviSto wrote in post #18496804 (external link)
On a perhaps related point, I have on just a couple of occasions accidentally 'liked' a post (while viewing POTN on a smartphone). In one instance, this happened while looking to see who the many people were who liked a photo that didn't appeal to me much at all (my fault for being nosy, I guess). I couldn't find a way to withdraw the like. If I had, I suppose I would then have had to think through whether I really wanted to give the poster such a clear signal that I didn't like their photo.

Is there a way to withdraw a 'like' on POTN? Any thoughts about 'unlike' etiquette?

It's okay. You can tell me! :-D

I am I

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,943 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 30, 2018 13:07 |  #21

Wilt wrote in post #18552460 (external link)
It seems that it could be insightful for both the poster and for other readers if there was a 'Disagree' button . . .

The maxim "Be careful what you wish for" applies. A Disagree or Dislike button can be useful, but in my experience it causes more problems than it solves. I used to follow a forum (not photography) that had positive and negative points, which were summed. A user could get a point total below zero. Ability to reduce a disliked member's total can become a weapon.

Anyway, if you want to air your disagreement with a post, stating your case and giving reasons is more helpful than giving a token indication and not saying why.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by DaviSto. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 30, 2018 13:28 |  #22

OhLook wrote in post #18552530 (external link)
Anyway, if you want to air your disagreement with a post, stating your case and giving reasons is more helpful than giving a token indication and not saying why.

I agree ... pressing a 'disagree' button is just too easy and could end up with a person feeling that their comment or image is somehow offensive without any explanation of what was being objected to (which might just be their bad grammar). If a person wants to voice their disagreement or disapproval, it's best they do so in a posted reply ... which will likely filter out a lot of trivial or 'not really all that bothered, actually' objections.

The inadvertent irretractable 'like' is a mild irritation though. My 'like' is attached to two or three of my least favourite images and comments on POTN ... when all I wanted to do, hamfistedly, was see who (in heaven's name) it was had registered a 'like' against them.

Of course, if I had found that the mystery likes came from members of the fine body of men and women that have contributed to this current thread (all of whose opinions and images I, naturally, hold in the very highest regard), I might have chosen to revisit my own opinion (and allowed my 'like' to stand).  :p

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Jan 30, 2018 13:30 as a reply to DaviSto's post |  #23

Just assume that the likes came from other ham-fisted individuals.

I am I

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jan 30, 2018 13:40 |  #24

OhLook wrote in post #18552530 (external link)

You mean, actually put time and thought into something, instead of just clicking a button?!

Holey Moley! . What an unusual concept!

You must not be a millennial.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,943 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 30, 2018 16:05 |  #25

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18552607 (external link)
You must not be a millennial.

:lol: I was a millennial before the millennials were born!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

816 views & 11 likes for this thread
No like
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.