Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Jan 2018 (Monday) 08:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Sharing SItes

icor1031
733 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by icor1031.

Jan 22, 2018 08:09 |  #1

Which sites are good for sharing photos, to get more views (hoping to sell prints)?

I know of pixoto, flickr, and 500px. There's also 1x, but I read a horrible review about them.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,655 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 22, 2018 10:48 |  #2

None of the above for what you seem to want. There is no magic site that is going to get you image views that will lead to sales in the way that you would like. Getting print sales is going to be a matter of hard work selling yourself everywhere you possibly can. The main photo hosting sites are pretty much just that, places to post images.

Smugmug seems to be one of the more popular places that will then allow you to do the integrated print sales thing. Or there is Fine Art America, or whatever it might be in your country as another option for print sales. Whatever you chose you will have to work hard in all the social media channels, and in the real world to build up a clientele to sell to. None of these sites are going to push your images, unless you are already doing substantial business.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,264 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 22, 2018 10:50 |  #3

I'm not so sure if getting more views is related to selling of prints.
For getting more views, dumping on Instagram seems to be default method these days.
Some were selling via FB.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by icor1031. (2 edits in all)

Jan 22, 2018 13:14 |  #4

BigAl007 wrote in post #18546483 (external link)
None of the above for what you seem to want. There is no magic site that is going to get you image views that will lead to sales in the way that you would like. Getting print sales is going to be a matter of hard work selling yourself everywhere you possibly can. The main photo hosting sites are pretty much just that, places to post images.

Smugmug seems to be one of the more popular places that will then allow you to do the integrated print sales thing. Or there is Fine Art America, or whatever it might be in your country as another option for print sales. Whatever you chose you will have to work hard in all the social media channels, and in the real world to build up a clientele to sell to. None of these sites are going to push your images, unless you are already doing substantial business.

Alan

By using them to help get sales: I meant via posting a link to a site which sells my prints, along with the image.

But since these aren't good options - what are the best ways for getting print sales?

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,526 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 23, 2018 09:52 |  #5

IMO, one of the best ways to sell prints is not going to be by posting photos online. Instead, get them printed and framed and find local shops in your area that would be willing to display and offer them for sale. If you are looking to make online sales, another option you may consider is selling stock. I have been selling on Alamy for years and I've been relatively happy with it. There are other options for selling stock of course, you would just need to find what site would work best for you. That said, if you want to sell stock, it takes a large library of relevant images to make consistent sales.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 23, 2018 12:48 |  #6

jra wrote in post #18547184 (external link)
IMO, one of the best ways to sell prints is not going to be by posting photos online. Instead, get them printed and framed and find local shops in your area that would be willing to display and offer them for sale. If you are looking to make online sales, another option you may consider is selling stock. I have been selling on Alamy for years and I've been relatively happy with it. There are other options for selling stock of course, you would just need to find what site would work best for you. That said, if you want to sell stock, it takes a large library of relevant images to make consistent sales.

That's extremely disappointing. I live in a small city, with a lot of ranchers and farmers for its population. :(

And my work is the type you'd put on a wall, not use in an ad (stock).

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,846 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner. (4 edits in all)

Jan 23, 2018 12:57 |  #7

icor1031 wrote in post #18546618 (external link)
By using them to help get sales: I meant via posting a link to a site sell my prints, along with the image.

But since these aren't good options - what are the best ways for getting print sales?

Fine Art America is a good site for this.

But selling prints via the internet? . Seriously? . That is, like, extremely difficult.

No matter how good your work, is, and how well it fits the tastes of your target demographic, don't expect much. . You may sell a print or three per year via the internet, but anything more than that is going to require a near-miracle.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I want you to have realistic expectations, so that you don't waste hours of your time preparing images for presentation, uploading images to the site, setting prices, etc.

Another thing, whatever you do, do not get suckered into paying for a website, with hopes of print sales coming in to offset the cost. . There are so many sites these days that all try to get you to pay to have a site with them, and they all promote themselves as being "different". . They tell you that they are really tuned in to the way people buy art these days, and that their site will generate sales for you. . Many have this silly thing where potential print buyers can use software to see how your photo will look on their wall. . They actually want you to think that this is cutting edge marketing or something. . It's not - it's been done for years and years and years. . These companies are desperate because artists and photographers have realized that this doesn't work, and these sites are now fighting for their very survival and desperate to get you to pay them for their useless service.

EDIT:
Ha ha! . What timing! . Shortly after posting this, I got another email trying to push one of these useless services on me:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 23, 2018 13:54 |  #8

I listened to a podcast a couple of years ago by a photographer, forgotten his name, he said he got nothing from his website, he goes to the local art fairs and shows his stuff, it's a living for him, not an easy deal though, you have to apply (application fee), you need a display stand, you obviously have to have a bunch of prints available, initially I would think you won't know what will sell so guessing how much of everything to have, and you have to drive somewhere every week.

Another guy I bumped into said people are just reluctant to buy a print that they've only seen on the internet/computer screen, they like to see the actual print before buying something, so as someone else said, if you can get into a gallery, that would help

Flickr (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,893 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 23, 2018 22:54 |  #9

icor1031 wrote in post #18546388 (external link)
Which sites are good for sharing photos, to get more views (hoping to sell prints)?

Agree with all the above posters. Where you host your images is irrelevant because no one will know they are there.

The number of people who go to a photo sharing site and just decide to buy a print can be counted on the fingers of one hand. People buy prints from artists they know about/have a connection to. You actually have to let people know you exist before they will buy any prints. That means that YOU have to find a way to let them know you exist.

1. Pay for adverts in a local/regional paper.
2. Better yet get them interested in publishing a photo essay - a selection of images with some text about why you shoot what you shoot.
3. Talk to local gallery owners.

The point is that you need to get you images/self in front of people who are actually looking to buy art.

Sticking a bunch of prints on the wall of a local coffee shop is also useless because the people who go there are looking to buy coffee, not art. It can work but only if you do the work to let potential customers know about it. A story in the paper about "local artists exhibition at coffee shop" that talks again about what/why you create the images (and that they are for sale). That way, when someone goes in their to buy coffee they are also primed to recognise your prints for sale. "Hey, I read about this guy. He likes the same stuff I do. I wonder how much these prints are".

Then you need to actually make the sale. There needs to be a fool proof way for that potential customer to quickly and easily buy a print.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,846 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 23, 2018 23:06 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #10

^ ^ ^ Everything Dan said is spot-on. ^ ^ ^

It is unrealistic to think that you can just "let the internet do the work for you". . You have to put a lot of time, thought, effort, and money into marketing your prints. . If you don't, then you won't sell any.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by TooManyShots.

Jan 29, 2018 22:06 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Just want to add that.....no sites would help you to sell your photos or prints. Use these sites as tools to TELL PEOPLE, who are interested in your photos to begin with, to buy prints and digital files from you. First, you need to convince people that they want to buy your photos or prints (that's the hard part). Then, you tell them where to order them...That's where site hosting comes into play. Even then, you don't need a site or a web hosting package to sell them...unless you are selling them in volumes........ You can simply use these sites to display your works and to handle each print sale personally using PayPal as a payment method and you will be responsible for outsourcing the print jobs to a second party.....

Would this work? If you are a nobody photographer and people don't know you, most likely is not going to happen. Like any other online buy/sell transaction. You need to establish trust. You need to establish a reputation first. Your biggest hurdle is to find a market for your works.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,127 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 30, 2018 12:06 |  #12

icor1031 wrote in post #18547339 (external link)
That's extremely disappointing. I live in a small city, with a lot of ranchers and farmers for its population. :(

And my work is the type you'd put on a wall, not use in an ad (stock).

Landscape art of ranches and farms might work for you.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,846 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 30, 2018 17:03 |  #13

AZGeorge wrote in post #18552475 (external link)
Landscape art of ranches and farms might work for you.

I think that's what he was already saying, wasn't it?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,296 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 30, 2018 17:40 |  #14

Also agree with everything above.

That said, if you are looking for a site to host your photos that will give you the tools you require for online print sales, Zenfolio and Exposure Manager are worth looking at.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

1,597 views & 9 likes for this thread
Photo Sharing SItes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.