Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 27 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gimbals - Mongoose vs LensMaster

juanpafer
Goldmember
1,795 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 27, 2018 17:07 |  #1

I am getting a 500L mkI and need a head for it. I currently have an Acratech GP that works very well with my 100-400, but it will probably wont with the new lens. I am interested in this type of very light side mount gimbals (Mongoose and LensMaster) but do not know if I will regret it and should go with a full gimbal or if one of the two is much better than the other (the LensMaster is much cheaper but seems to have very good reviews; I have seen the Mongoose with a 600 mkII and was very solid)
Any thoughts?

Juan

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 27, 2018 18:10 |  #2

I have the Lensmaster RH1 (side mount) and find it very good for my 300 F2.8, however for a lens like yours I would prefer a full Gimbal personally. The Lensmaster RH2 springs to mind as a great value option but, as in most things, if you spend more you get more.

For my large lens I use a Wimberley 2 and rate it as the best that I have tried - so far...... The new Gitzo Gimbal looks interesting but I have yet to try one. There are also from nice alternatives from Jobu and others.

Happy hunting :-)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

juanpafer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,795 posts
Joined May 2009

Jan 28, 2018 05:03 |  #3

John, thanks for your reply. I will take a look at the RH2. Do you think that a sidekick is out of the question with the Acratech?

Juan

graham121
711 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 28, 2018 06:32 |  #4

Cannot comment on the mongoose but I have the Lensmaster RH2 and am very happy with it - 500ii with 2x works just fine.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 28, 2018 18:49 |  #5

juanpafer wrote in post #18550752 (external link)
John, thanks for your reply. I will take a look at the RH2. Do you think that a sidekick is out of the question with the Acratech?

I am not a fan of side mounting on heavy/long lenses. There are two reasons for this - firstly me! I am far less adept at locking the lens foot into place and am paranoid that I will drop something expensive. Remember this is just me and my inept hands.
Secondly there is no adjustment for vertical balance - you know the one most people forget about! When both the horizontal and vertical balance are set the lens will stay put at any available angle with no tension on the pivots. Note the vertical balance is never along the axis of the lens - due to the camera on the back. This isn't a big deal but it can be annoying - especially with a gripped or Pro body.

Were you using a lighter lens then I think a side mount head would be fine - I do use one after all, but a near 4 kilo lens + camera? A full Gimbal is the better solution in my experience here.

Just my thoughts.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

FPP
743 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 28, 2018 21:15 |  #6

juanpafer wrote in post #18550752 (external link)

I have the sidekick and it worked fine with my 100-400 but with my 150-600C, it works but I believe a full gimbal would be better.

7D Mark II, 50D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 10-22, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, EF-S 60MM f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55 IS, 28-135 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 580 EX II, Gitzo GT2531EX, ARCA-SWISS Z1, RRS B2 AS II clamp, Kirk L-bracket for 7DII, Kirk L-bracket for 50D.

ShadowHillsPhoto
503 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jan 29, 2018 09:23 |  #7

I personally use a Wimberley with my 600mm IS II (and a 500mm v1 before that), but I had a chance to check out the latest Mongoose that someone was using with a 500mm IS II and it's a very impressive head. I'm not a huge fan of sidemounts and I don't like the cradle they offer (no vertical adjustment), otherwise I would consider one. It's very well made and I can see the appeal. I think it would handle your 500mm v1 just fine.

Vintage ­ Racer
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 30, 2018 02:08 |  #8

I use the Lensmaster RH2. - Brilliant build quality and great value for money!

If at first you don't succeed...............​you are not a budgerigar!
Nikon D500, Nikon 200-500, Nikon 70-200, Nikon 18-55 and Tokina 11-20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,886 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 31, 2018 01:00 |  #9

juanpafer wrote in post #18550376 (external link)
I am interested in this type of very light side mount gimbals (Mongoose and LensMaster) but do not know if I will regret it and should go with a full gimbal . . .

Any thoughts?

johnf3f wrote in post #18551276 (external link)
I am not a fan of side mounting on heavy/long lenses.

Secondly there is no adjustment for vertical balance - you know the one most people forget about! When both the horizontal and vertical balance are set the lens will stay put at any available angle with no tension on the pivots. A full Gimbal is the better solution in my experience here.

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18551632 (external link)
I personally use a Wimberley with my 600mm IS II (and a 500mm v1 before that) . . .
I'm not a huge fan of sidemounts and I don't like the cradle they offer (no vertical adjustment), otherwise I would consider one.

I have to side with John and Shadow Hills, inasmuch as gimbal preferences are concerned.

I use a Wimberley 2 for all of my Gimbal needs. . I have a Wimberley 1, but it is not machined to close tolerances like the v2 is, and I only have it as a desperation backup (should the need ever arise).

I seem to use every last bit of balance and versatility that can possibly be wrought from my Wimberley .... not to mention the ease and speed of mounting a big heavy lens to it. . When you take your big lens off of the tripod, and put it back on the tripod, literally dozens of times every day, that actually makes a big difference.

I can't imagine trying to make due with less adjustment versatility, nor with more vulnerable balancing. . What the Wimberley costs in terms of dollars and weight, it more than makes up for with its ultra-fine tension adjustments, its balance, and it's adjustability. . After seeing people use side-mount gimbals, I can't even imagine trying to use one myself, especially after I've been "spoiled" with the Wimberley v2.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

juanpafer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,795 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 03, 2018 14:59 |  #10

Thanks for your input everyone.
I contacted Rob and went for an RH2.
I will report back when I receive it.

Juan

juanpafer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,795 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 01, 2018 20:45 |  #11

I have been out a couple times with the new setup and I have to say that I am VERY happy with the quality/weight/price from this gimbal. I would recommend it with no hesitation. Time will tell about durability but it is such a simple design that I doubt that anything would break and could not be easily fixed.

Juan

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,966 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 06, 2018 11:35 |  #12

Pleased you like it Juan :)

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

sponsored links

893 views & 5 likes for this thread
Gimbals - Mongoose vs LensMaster
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.