Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Jan 2018 (Monday) 20:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bit of a lens conundrum

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 31, 2018 10:47 as a reply to  @ post 18552279 |  #16

I was shooting old buildings, churches, castles, etc, mostly in cramped quarters. I never found anything that I needed a 70-200 for. A wide angle lens not only lets you get most of the buildings in the frame, it also allows you to stand in front of the tourists with longer lenses. I hope you enjoy your trip.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,893 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 31, 2018 11:01 |  #17

Alveric wrote in post #18552932 (external link)
My current funds now are for the flights.

Any rental places up there in Canada?

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,424 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by MakisM1.

Jan 31, 2018 11:56 |  #18

Definitely the UWA is the way to go for Europe. If you can rent a 16-35, it will be great. The 24-70 is not wide enough. The 70-200 is a nice to have for capturing that little detail, but it is not necessary.

My travel kit is the 60D, with the Sigma 8-16 and the EFS 18-200. I hardly ever shoot longer than 50, unless, it is a detail... Last year I did a biking trip from Amsterdam to Bruges, taking only the 60D+EFS 18-200 in the panniers and I can say that I missed the 8-16.

Here is the Church of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, shot from the bus stop across the street at 8 mm

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Can't do it any other way...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,888 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 31, 2018 12:39 |  #19

James P wrote in post #18553334 (external link)
I was shooting old buildings, churches, castles, etc, mostly in cramped quarters. . I never found anything that I needed a 70-200 for.

This is really a personal thing, and what works for one person does not give a good indication of what would work for another.

Personally, if I were in that area, I would have no interest at all in photographing old buildings, or churches, or castles. . None at all! . Especially if there were other people there taking pictures of the same buildings.

Why take pictures of the same things that so many other people are taking pictures of? . Won't the world already have enough pictures of those things, all taken at the same time, in the same light, from generally the same point of view? . Where is the artistry and creativity in that?

However, if there were some small details in the stone walls of those buildings, or some exfoliating paint on a wooden door frame, then that might be pretty cool to photograph. . Maybe there'd be a cool cloud way up in the sky somewhere, that'd be pretty neat to photograph, as well. . Or maybe a squirrel up in a tree branch over one's head. . Or a neat looking leaf up in that same tree branch. . That is the kind of stuff I would want to photograph, and for that a 70-20mm or a 100-400mm would seem to be a pretty good choice.

So you see, one cannot assume that the things that were interesting to you would also be interesting to someone else. . This is why it is so difficult to recommend lenses to another person - because the way they see is going to be different than the way you see, and the things that interest them are going to be different than the things that interest you.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,611 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Lbsimon.

Jan 31, 2018 12:50 |  #20

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18553426 (external link)
This is really a personal thing, and what works for one person does not give a good indication of what would work for another.

Personally, if I were in that area, I would have no interest at all in photographing old buildings, or churches, or castles. . None at all! . Especially if there were other people there taking pictures of the same buildings.

Why take pictures of the same things that so many other people are taking pictures of? . Won't the world already have enough pictures of those things, all taken at the same time, in the same light, from generally the same point of view? . Where is the artistry and creativity in that?

I have a simple answer.

Because this pictures are mine. Something impressed me in these buildings, and I took the shots the way I like, and these shots are different from pictures of the same buildings taken by other people.

Yes, it is a personal thing.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

malcolmp
362 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 31, 2018 18:02 |  #21

I have been trying to keep the weight down on travels so I don't take the 70-200. On my last trip to Europe I took the 16-35 f4 and 24-70 f4 which were a great combination and not too heavy. I also took the 135 f2 but didn't use it as much as I thought I would, I tend to take wider shots these days e.g. landscape during hikes, streetscapes and environmental portraits.

I had the 17-40 f4 which a good but not great lens. Both the 16-35 f4 and the 24-70 f4 are impressive. Don't underestimate panoramas on your phone, they work great for super wide!

malcolmp
α7R III | FE 16-35/4 | FE 24-105/4 | FE 35/2.8 | FE 55/1.8 | FE 85/1.8 |
MB V | EF 35/1.4L | EF 50/1.4 | EF 135/2L | EF 70-200/2.8L IS II |
m5 | 11-22 | 22/2 | 18-55 | 28/3.5 |

Alveric
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,416 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Alveric.

Jan 31, 2018 18:03 |  #22

My current full frame lens inventory is the following:

1. Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L USM Fisheye
  2. Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
  3. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
  4. Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
  5. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  6. Canon TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II
  7. Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/2
Of those, I'm planning on taking with me only #'s 1, 2, 3, 6, and whatever UWA I eventually get my hands on. Yes, I've always been lacking in the 24-70mm range zoom wise, but I've managed because my work usually requires me to work with setups and primes (I'm not a photojournalist).

Based on the course content description, architecture and urban planning is a chief focus, but I don't expect to have the time to carefully set my tripod and level and use my TS-E to make perfect pictures of buildings. We're s'posed to be on the move most of the day. I'd probably be taking only the WA, the normal (failing to have a zoom for the 24-70mm range) and the tele, and leave the specialty lenses behind for the weekend, when I've time on my own.

Rental is not a very attractive option: no rental places in town, which means I have to arrange and pay for shipping, plus the rental fees and deposit. At the end of the day, I'd rather put the money towards a brand new lens that I can keep forever.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 02, 2018 15:59 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #23

I didn't fly for seven to nine hours across the Atlantic Ocean to take pictures of walls, branches and leaves. I did it to photograph Stonehenge, Mykonos, Pompeii, Venice, The Parthenon, etc because I'd never been there before. Since the OP asked for lens recommendations, I gave him mine.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

Nick5
Goldmember
2,953 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by Nick5.

Feb 02, 2018 23:34 |  #24

Alveric wrote in post #18552101 (external link)
I've an oncoming trip to Europe and am in need of a zoom lens that will cover the 24-70 mm range. The ideal purchase is of course the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM—and then I wouldn't have to start this thread—but that might not be doable, and thus I'm forced to look at two alternatives: the EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM or the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM.

Anyone knows if Canon got around to fix that focus shift/RSA problem (external link) on newer copies of the EF 24-70mm f/4L? Apparently, barring that issue, the lens in question has better quality than the EF 24-105mm f/4L II.

Those of you who own these last two lenses, I'd appreciate your input.

Of course, whilst the trip is the main pressing reason for the purchase, I do want the new lens to join my professional toolbox: for now I've covered said focal length range with primes, but a zoom is long overdue—changing lenses isn't always ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Alveric.
My go to European travel kit for my last trip is the the 16-35 f/4 L IS, 24-70 f/4 L IS and the 70-200 f/4 L IS. Being able to walk all day with 2 Gripped 5D Mark III's has a.lowed me to capture the full range. I used to bring my 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mark II, but if f/4 was good enough for 16-70, why not lighten the load? Consistency through out. I also take my 24 TS-E Tilt/Shift as well. Since I like to shoot the Ultra Wide and the small Architectural details, the 70-200 is a must. If I was forced to bring only two, the 16-35 and the 70-200 would get first dibs.
I did go back and forth with the 24-70 upgrade from my 24-105, the wide end distortion was beginning to drive my crazy. So after hemming and hauling I decided to go for the 24-70 f/4 L IS. IS was and is valuable for me shooting in the old Basilica's that Europe is filled with shooting at I /10-1/15" Handheld showed super sharp results. IS proved its value to me. As far as focus shift goes in the 24-70, tests have shown it exists, however some has yet shown where it gas occurred in my images.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,222 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Feb 03, 2018 00:27 |  #25

My go to travel setup is also a trinity of zooms 16-35mm f4 L, 24-70mm 2.8 L II, 70-200 2.8 IS L II with my 5D3. I’ll also have a teleconverter in the bag as well. My primes are for portraits and macro shots. Europe isn’t different then any other place. If you’re in the city, then wide angle is good for some architectural and abstract photos, normal range for people interactions, and telephoto for close ups or wildlife. You might also be going outside cities and seeing natural landscapes and wildlife (I’m a believer that some landscapes are great at wide angles, others going into telephoto...all depends on intent).

I see the OP doesn’t have a rectilinear wide angle zoom, but has 24mm prime. The 16-35mm f4 is great for getting wider angle: the fisheye may have too much distortion. Since you have a 70-200mm zoom, a 24-70 compliments it better. If you want a 2.8 and can’t afford the Canon mk II, there’s also Tamron. I don’t think the AF is as fast, and the contrast isn’t quite as good as the Canon mark II, but it’s a nice sharp lens.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,190 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by Scrumhalf.

Feb 03, 2018 02:01 |  #26

The 16-35 F4 it's a must-have for Europe. I had it on my 6D about 80% of the time when I was in Italy. In fact, I regretted not taking my Rok 14/2.8 because there were several instances when 16mm wasn't wide enough.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

artyH
Goldmember
2,089 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 03, 2018 09:03 |  #27

The OP did not say which countries were going to be visited. For Italy, I would want an ultrawide. The same for the UK. I could get by in Paris with a 24-105, and would prefer it to a lens with a reduced range at the long end.
I would want a fast prime for low light people photos for any of these countries. If doing a lot of shooting in cathedrals and museums indoors, then IS and large apertures can be useful. I have travelled to Europe with just a fast prime and an ultrawide, but I regretted not also taking my 24-105F4 IS. IS is helpful when lighting gets very low.

Alveric
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,416 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 03, 2018 12:24 |  #28

I did say: Berlin, non-touristic spots.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by DaviSto.

Feb 03, 2018 15:33 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #29

Yes ... I've been thinking about the fact that it's actually Berlin you are visiting right from my first post that you had to go 'wide'. Berlin, as it is now, is not your classic example of a European city built around a basically medieval core. The centre of the city is actually characterised by wide roads and big vistas. You aren't so likely to find yourself in tight situations here. It's not 'the back streets of Naples', it's not the East End of London (modern architecture squeezed into a tight old city layout), it's not Montmartre, and you're not so likely to find yourself having to shoot whatever is Berlin's equivalent of La Sagrada Familia from a bus stop just the other side of the road.

Somebody who knows Berlin and knows how to photograph it could give you much better advice than I can, I think.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 03, 2018 16:23 |  #30

I like bringing home images of people far more than brick and mortar images, although I shoot buildings too. I find that for me, the ideal combination for travel (all over the world) is a pair of crop sensor cameras (presently using a 7D and a 7D mk2) wearing 70-200mm f/4L IS and 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lenses with a 12-24mm f/4 Tokina ATX in my bag for those few occasions when the 17-55mm at the wide end just isn't wide enough.

I have been playing with the 70-200mm on a full frame camera along with the 17-55mm on my 7D mk2. The jury is still out on that combination.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,891 views & 6 likes for this thread
Bit of a lens conundrum
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.