Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 16:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Studio equipment purchase suggestions

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 03, 2018 13:28 as a reply to  @ post 18555562 |  #16

Boy, the Pope is a shrunken little man!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Alveric
Goldmember
4,415 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 03, 2018 13:47 |  #17

Was trying to illustrate both product and portrait photography. A statue is best for that!

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,773 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 03, 2018 19:26 |  #18

mihaikolf wrote in post #18555288 (external link)
Quick question : c stands or rollers ? :)

Mathews rollers.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

F2Bthere
859 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 07, 2018 00:12 |  #19

More gear tends to result in poorer photography.

It is far better to get one really solid stand on wheels so it is easy to move and one C-stand. Get a c-stand with the extra grip knuckle and 40" bar. You can never have too many, but you can do a lot with two light stands.

A simple background is good. Very easy to select and swap for something else in post processing. I like a simple gray, but white can work well too and might be the better choice. Light it evenly and it is white. Grade a light across it with less exposure and you have a gray gradient. You can put a gel on it for color. Or let no light fall on it and it is black.

There are many background support options. Two c-stands with cross bars work well as a background stand and are versatile for other purposes, too.

If it were me, I would start with one good modifier. For me, that would be the very versatile Elinchrom Deep Octa, but you should get the one which most inspires you. By using only one, you will learn its subtle capabilities. Once you have done this, you will know which to get next and you will know how to make each piece dance with your guidance. A rectangular box may be more useful for products.

If you have the space, there is much to be said for a camera stand over a tripod--very stable, almost impossible to knock down, goes all the way down and pretty high up.

A four to six step ladder you can safely stand on to shoot, and for other purposes, is helpful.

Clamps are always useful. You don't need fancy, just functional. And gaffer tape.

Card stock in black and white is most useful. You can cut it to sizes you need.

Assembling a pair of v-flats, black on one side, white on the other, doesn't cost a lot but is an incredibly valuable tool.

Godox gear is fine. It is inexpensive and capable. If it fails, you can replace it. And you can do that a few times at the lower prices. I prefer Elinchrom. I like the modifiers. I like having a 1000+WS battery powered unit I can use in studio or in the field which is solidly built and can deal with the elements.

I do use more at times, but one light with one modifier, a v-flat, perhaps some card stock and a background is all I use for most things. I believe that is true for virtually all the images in my IG:

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

There may be a fill light from camera position in some, but the images where that is true could have been done without.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,887 views & 12 likes for this thread
Studio equipment purchase suggestions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.