Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 06 Dec 2017 (Wednesday) 14:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best Heating Solution for a Cold Garage?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,620 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Dec 16, 2017 18:57 |  #16

gjl711 wrote in post #18512109 (external link)
I did think not for a studio but for a workspace. Three things are needed, insulate, stop drafts, add heat. For insulation I used regular fiberglass and covered with plywood. For air infiltration, the garage door was the hardest to seal but adding rubber seals to the door made a pretty decent insulator. For heat, stay away from the gas/propane ones and use those oil-filled electric heaters. You don't want to be breathing fumes in an enclosed space though I guess for a studio, the lights might be enough by themselves. :)

For a space "part of garage," in a place of moderate climate, I'd also recommend oil-filled electric heaters, even two or three.

If we were talking about a permanent studio space in a place that spends a few weeks below freezing, I'd recommend a "real" HVAC system.

sponsored links
jametalb
Joined Jul 2010
Scott City, KS
Dec 21, 2017 18:58 |  #17

I have a ceiling mounted natural gas burning heater. Vented out the roof, with thermostat. Heats a 2 car garage comfortably (insulated garage in Kansas).

Not too bad price wise, thinking it was around $800 installed. Would do everything you want it to.

I know bosch I think it is makes a wall mounted dual unit AC and Heat that look nice, but I think it will be much more pricey.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,050 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 19, 2018 09:23 |  #18

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3344/3258583371_886964c8d3_b.jpg

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 19, 2018 09:26 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #19

where'd you get that sweet turntable stand?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,050 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 19, 2018 10:53 |  #20

Funny thing is, I have that stove in my garage, but it's not plumbed in yet,. and that turntable looks exactly like the old Pioneer I had since teenage hood that I inherited from my step mother, that now belongs to my 18 year old Nephew...

But this image came from google images :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 19, 2018 11:04 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #21

i kinda had a feeling. :D

the turntable i "stole" from dad back in high school looked a lot like that one too. The lid was not hinged so you not only had to have a place to sit it, but putting it back on while playing a record, especially under the influence of any kind of alcohol, was damn near impossible. lol

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Cham_001
863 posts
Joined Feb 2009
based between Ruse, Bulgaria & Recife-Brazil
Feb 04, 2018 10:29 |  #22

Garage spaces are notoriously cold -
I suggest using polystyrene sheets say minimum 5cm thick to create an insulated area first.
If you can insulate the actual floor using wood/vinyl - this will remove the intrinsic chill from a concrete floor.
Then add-in your selected heat source - varies:
- fan heaters
- A/c unit
- oil-based radiator

In Bulgaria during winter, temperatures can typically drop to -20C.
Here, we use wood-burners for heat - for most garage-areas, workshops, studios (external to the actual house)

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

sponsored links

1,183 views & 8 likes for this thread
Best Heating Solution for a Cold Garage?
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.