Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Jan 2018 (Friday) 21:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to do when you're not getting bookings?

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,457 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 05, 2018 21:00 |  #1

Looking for some advice here.

What do you do when you getting inquiries and not getting bookings? I'm using The Knot and Wedding Wire, both getting me a fair amount of inquiries. I'm extremely responsive on both and normally have good conversations with brides, but they are constantly booking someone else. When I ask why, I never hear back.

I'm keeping up my vendor relations and getting a lot of great feedback from everyone about how easy I am to work with, how they love my work, how my clients have spoken very highly of me, but I get nothing from them.

Reviews online are very positive.

I'm at a loss.

Any idea where I am going wrong?

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

sponsored links
banquetbear
Goldmember
1,584 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 06, 2018 21:33 |  #2

huntersdad wrote in post #18534551 (external link)
Looking for some advice here.

What do you do when you getting inquiries and not getting bookings? I'm using The Knot and Wedding Wire, both getting me a fair amount of inquiries. I'm extremely responsive on both and normally have good conversations with brides, but they are constantly booking someone else. When I ask why, I never hear back.

I'm keeping up my vendor relations and getting a lot of great feedback from everyone about how easy I am to work with, how they love my work, how my clients have spoken very highly of me, but I get nothing from them.

Reviews online are very positive.

I'm at a loss.

...first impressions: wonderful, simple to navigate website, fantastic images, prices are both reasonable and affordable. Based on your posts here at the forum you seem like a great guy, I can imagine that clients would have spoken well of you.

Any idea where I am going wrong?

There is no way for us to tell based on what you've told us.

If you haven't already you need to develop a system that will give you an "objective measure" of how well you are doing, and what targets you need to achieve. You say "you are not getting any bookings" but you obviously have had bookings, because you have photos of weddings, you've worked for vendors and have had positive feedback from clients.

So what you really meant to say is "your bookings are below expectations": and "inquiries are not converting to sales at the rate that you want."

So start by creating some objective measures, then determine the targets that you want to hit each month. Then you can track what you are doing and course-correct as you see fit.

For example: using The Knot and The Wire. How long have you been using them? Have you ever had many bookings from them, or have you "always had a fair amount of inquiries without conversion?" If you have had many bookings from them, then go back and see what the difference was. Was your pricing cheaper? If it was, and if you don't want to lower your prices then look to advertise in other places. If you've never had that many conversions from the Knot and the Wire, how do your conversions compare to other photographers? Have you spoken to them? (And you need to know your numbers before you do). Maybe there is a low inquiry-to-sales ratio at the Knot and the Wire, and what you are experiencing is just normal. Just randomly googling:

"If you find that your brides and grooms frequently lead with a budget-first approach, and you frequently land wedding contracts because you put on one heck of a wedding for a great value, then you might want to consider using The Knot first."

http://nuphoriq.com/th​e-knot-vs-weddingwire/ (external link)

I have no idea if that's true. But maybe you are marketing in the wrong place. Maybe you raised your prices recently, and you need to reevaluate where and how you market. These are just guesses. You haven't given us a lot to work with here. You need to crunch your numbers. Then use those numbers to set targets, and if you aren't hitting those targets, reassess, course-correct if needed, and then test again. If you start hitting your targets and then the numbers start to slip: reassess again. It's an ongoing process.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,148 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt.

Jan 06, 2018 22:40 |  #3

It is hard to tell you explicitly why. Brides listen to pitches and different brides choose based upon different criteria. Choices can be based upon

1. Price
  2. Portfolio of past work
  3. Services provided
  4. Terms of hiring
  5. Personality
  6. Flexibility of photographer
  7. other intangibles

in some combination of priorities of some/all of the above criteria.

Perhaps your particular combination of characteristics is not well suited to the clientele who frequent The Knot and Wedding Wire, but might well suit a different kind of bride than those who go to those sites.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
9,965 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 24, 2018 16:03 |  #4

1-Price
2-Quality of the work
3-Service you provide ( reviews are important here )
4- Price
5-Price
6-Price

The reality is 82% of the bridal market spends BT $1200.00- $2800.00 for wedding photography services
The lower your price point the more you will book- End of story

Go to the wedding industry price reports and ignore everything else you will hear- This is Reality- It all comes down to Price,Quality of work, service you provide......and in this order

https://www.thewedding​report.com/ (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,457 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2018 10:26 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #5

I had forgotten about this until UM's post popped up.

The guys on FM were pretty harsh about my website, so I went and reconfigured it much more focused.

In the 3 weeks since I asked this, I've booked 6 weddings - 5 from the Knot and 1 from Wedding Wire.

I guess there's a bit of patience required and I think the website rework really helped me out. I've also rewritten my replies to leads and I think that's helping also.

Facebook (external link)

tbdinh22
25 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2017

Jan 26, 2018 12:25 |  #6

huntersdad wrote in post #18549364 (external link)
I had forgotten about this until UM's post popped up.

The guys on FM were pretty harsh about my website, so I went and reconfigured it much more focused.

In the 3 weeks since I asked this, I've booked 6 weddings - 5 from the Knot and 1 from Wedding Wire.

I guess there's a bit of patience required and I think the website rework really helped me out. I've also rewritten my replies to leads and I think that's helping also.

I also frequent FM. Most photographers in that forum have a lot of experience and can be critical. However some also want you to succeed and give you uncensored critiques when you request for it. You would rather hear from them and not scratching your head why you aren't booking.

Good job on the bookings. Wedding photography can be so unpredictable sometimes with rain and drought.

Canon 5D IV. 24- 70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 135 1.8 Art, Sigma 85 1.4 Art, Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC, Tamron 90 2.8 VC
Los Angels Wedding Photography (external link)
Orange County Wedding Photography (external link)

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,457 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 28, 2018 17:32 |  #7

tbdinh22 wrote in post #18549500 (external link)
I also frequent FM. Most photographers in that forum have a lot of experience and can be critical. However some also want you to succeed and give you uncensored critiques when you request for it. You would rather hear from them and not scratching your head why you aren't booking.

Good job on the bookings. Wedding photography can be so unpredictable sometimes with rain and drought.

Understood. I think it's the range of opinions that can be really confusing over there. I have tried to change most of the issues that were suggested, so some of that could be kicking in.

Facebook (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 02, 2018 07:10 |  #8

What font did you use for "Blended Light" at the top of your home page? I love it.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,457 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 02, 2018 07:37 as a reply to  @ Colin Glover's post |  #9

Don't know that Colin. I had that created by photologo, so they used whatever was standard for their signature type logos.

Facebook (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 02, 2018 10:52 |  #10

Thanks.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,556 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 04, 2018 10:55 |  #11

Like many have said, couples that shop on weddingwires, the knots or other wedding directory sites usually put price as their #1 factor. It means they would shot list a bunch of vendors and go with the lowest price one. I personally would shift marketing efforts away from these sites to more localized places such as local facebook groups.

Gearlist

sponsored links

2,518 views & 7 likes for this thread
What to do when you're not getting bookings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.