Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,552 posts
Gallery: 465 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 04, 2018 04:09 |  #11401

I was about 10 pages behind there! This thread moves fast. Congrats on the a9 David, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that, superb SATX images Alfredo, nice motorsports images Travis as always and Charlie those food images were superb!

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | 15 | 21 | 28 | 55 | 85

sponsored links
digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,337 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 04, 2018 09:08 |  #11402

xpfloyd wrote in post #18555964 (external link)
I was about 10 pages behind there! This thread moves fast. Congrats on the a9 David, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that, superb SATX images Alfredo, nice motorsports images Travis as always and Charlie those food images were superb!

Thanks Eddie!

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2 α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Loxia 85mm F2.4 Batis 18mm F2.8 Distagon T* 35mm f/2 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro

LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,469 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 04, 2018 09:09 |  #11403

Been out for a hike/walk this morning. Time to see how the lowly 28-70mm done on it's first outing..........

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,691 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by navydoc. (2 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2018 09:18 |  #11404

I thought some of you might find this interesting...

I had a 4th cousin send me a photograph of a person in my family with only "Grandfather Lewis" written as the description. In trying to verify who he was, I found a site that compares two images and returns a degree of confidence whether it's the same person or not.

To test it, I first entered two known photos of the same person, my 3rd great grandfather and a degree of confidence it was the same person came up 77%. Then I compared my 3rd great grandfather's photo with the one of "grandfather Lewis" which returned a confidence of 60% it was the same person.

Next, I compared my 3rd great grandfather's photo with my great grandfather which only had a confidence of 29% and that they weren't the same person. Finally, I compared two photos of my great-grandfather and the confidence they were the same person was 74%.

While not definitive, I think the person comparison site strengthen the possibility that "grandfather Lewis" is indeed my 3rd great grandfather.

Here's a link to the website if you'd like to compare photos from your own family for face verification.

https://azure.microsof​t.com …/cognitive-services/face/ (external link)

You can click on the link below to view a larger size to read the text if you'd like.

https://photos.smugmug​.com …Comparing%20pho​tos-X4.jpg (external link)

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/People/i-tWgpQ7Z/0/da5ba8cd/X2/Comparing%20photos-X2.jpg

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
2,941 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 04, 2018 10:11 |  #11405

That’s pretty interesting Gene. I’ve been doing a lot of Ancestry stuff lately. Found a few mysteries I can’t solve and I think I tracked my dad’s line all the way back to colonial settlers in the 1600’s in Connecticut. Never be able to prove it for sure I don’t think...

So as I complained a few weeks back about the time it takes the Sony to zoom in on a picture in camera, I decided to swap the memory cards between my 5D4 and A7Rii. I had the gold Lexar 2066x card in the Canon and a silver Lexar 1033x in the Sony. In the Canon, I didn’t notice any difference. You hit zoom, there is still no discernible delay. On the Sony though, I think he time was cut in half or more. So however the processing is set up between the two, the Sony does seem to need a faster card.

Still back and forth in my Canon/Sony battle, but I think they are going to live side by side for a while. :)

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
Sony A7R ii | Loxia 21/2.8 + FE 35/2.8 ZA + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,469 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 04, 2018 10:45 |  #11406

Well, the lowly 28-70mm sort of done okay..... I say sort of, because although some images are sharp enough for my liking, I had trouble with focusing. Now, I don't know what blame here...... (Me...? :lol::mrgreen: )

I have "Custom 1" set up for landscape - Av priority, 2 sec timer, 100ISO, matrix metering, etc plus, manual focus...... Now, when I was manual focusing, I was sometimes getting the auto magnification & the bottom 'scale' & other times I wasn't getting anything except red peeking on the full screen. Whether this was something to do with the temperature, I don't know. Yet!! When it wasn't working, I remember spinning the dial & the aperture changed so I guess lens/body communication was there... Strange....

Anyway, even though the morning hike didn't really involve a sunrise as such, I'm happy with some images I got :-) Plus, we went somewhere new 8-)

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4745/28299815219_d34eea5562_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/K7KX​7B  (external link)

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

Miranda1
742 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 04, 2018 11:46 |  #11407

LeeRatters wrote in post #18556094 (external link)
Well, the lowly 28-70mm sort of done okay..... I say sort of, because although some images are sharp enough for my liking, I had trouble with focusing. Now, I don't know what blame here...... (Me...? :lol::mrgreen: )

I have "Custom 1" set up for landscape - Av priority, 2 sec timer, 100ISO, matrix metering, etc plus, manual focus...... Now, when I was manual focusing, I was sometimes getting the auto magnification & the bottom 'scale' & other times I wasn't getting anything except red peeking on the full screen. Whether this was something to do with the temperature, I don't know. Yet!! When it wasn't working, I remember spinning the dial & the aperture changed so I guess lens/body communication was there... Strange....

Anyway, even though the morning hike didn't really involve a sunrise as such, I'm happy with some images I got :-) Plus, we went somewhere new 8-)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/K7KX​7B  (external link)

Really like the processing on this one Lee.

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, Sigma 135 1.8,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Canon 90 F2 Serenar, Rokkor 58 F1.2, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,647 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 04, 2018 12:22 |  #11408

how about another racecar...from the Historic Races in September...my all time favorite car...a 911.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

ChrisHeathcote
124 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 04, 2018 12:24 |  #11409

I wondered if anyone has tried or used Sony teleconverters with EF fit lenses by fitting the adaptor between the converter and the lens. The reason I ask is that I have been looking at getting a 1.4x for my FE100-400 but I also have SIgma EF TC’s which I use with my last remaining EF lens (between the lens and adaptor). As I barely use the EF lens I thought about selling the TC’s to fund the Sony 1.4, but still have the functionality to add it to the Sigma 120-300 Sport if required. I know I would lose AF, but I lose that anyway as the MC11 does support TC’s

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
14,032 posts
Gallery: 1301 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 04, 2018 13:44 |  #11410

navydoc wrote in post #18556041 (external link)
I thought some of you might find this interesting...

I had a 4th cousin send me a photograph of a person in my family with only "Grandfather Lewis" written as the description. In trying to verify who he was, I found a site that compares two images and returns a degree of confidence whether it's the same person or not.

To test it, I first entered two known photos of the same person, my 3rd great grandfather and a degree of confidence it was the same person came up 77%. Then I compared my 3rd great grandfather's photo with the one of "grandfather Lewis" which returned a confidence of 60% it was the same person.

Next, I compared my 3rd great grandfather's photo with my great grandfather which only had a confidence of 29% and that they weren't the same person. Finally, I compared two photos of my great-grandfather and the confidence they were the same person was 74%.

While not definitive, I think the person comparison site strengthen the possibility that "grandfather Lewis" is indeed my 3rd great grandfather.

Here's a link to the website if you'd like to compare photos from your own family for face verification.

https://azure.microsof​t.com …/cognitive-services/face/ (external link)

You can click on the link below to view a larger size to read the text if you'd like.

https://photos.smugmug​.com …Comparing%20pho​tos-X4.jpg (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Fascinating Gene. Poof loves geneology and also found this of great interest. I'm sure you know the Mormons maintain vast databases of genealogical data.
Now on the images. I love the look of the men in that era. Handsome. Now we know for sure trickle down worked toward you :)

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
14,032 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 04, 2018 13:45 |  #11411

TRhoads wrote in post #18556161 (external link)
how about another racecar...from the Historic Races in September...my all time favorite car...a 911.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TRhoads in
./showthread.php?p=185​56161&i=i43443637
forum: Sony Cameras

Love the whale tail!

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
14,032 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by MedicineMan4040.

Feb 04, 2018 13:47 as a reply to  @ ChrisHeathcote's post |  #11412

I have placed Sony 1.4/2.0 TCs on the body (a9), then Metabones, then 400DOii. No problem.
Why did I do this? Because I forgot my Canon TCs :(
I've read at FM that some believe that it is best to use Canon TCs with Canon lenses and Sony TCs
with Sony lenses. I didn't see a difference.

flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,691 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 04, 2018 13:54 |  #11413

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18556223 (external link)
Fascinating Gene. Poof loves geneology and also found this of great interest. I'm sure you know the Mormons maintain vast databases of genealogical data.
Now on the images. I love the look of the men in that era. Handsome. Now we know for sure trickle down worked toward you :)

Thanks. What amazes me is that when my 3rd great grandfather in this series of photos, David Lewis was born, George Washington was still President. I too enjoy looking at men's styles of earlier times, both in grooming and clothing.

Me handsome? Pfff!

but thanks for the compliment anyway. -? :-)

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,552 posts
Gallery: 465 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 04, 2018 13:58 |  #11414

Sunset was a bust tonight but I liked the double starburst in this shot, one was the sun and the other was the suns reflection

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4605/26210484158_bfa92ceab1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FW8z​Mh  (external link) Bowling Harbour Sunset (external link) by xpfloyd (external link), on Flickr

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | 15 | 21 | 28 | 55 | 85

ChrisHeathcote
124 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 04, 2018 14:16 |  #11415

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18556225 (external link)
I have placed Sony 1.4/2.0 TCs on the body (a9), then Metabones, then 400DOii. No problem.
Why did I do this? Because I forgot my Canon TCs :(
I've read at FM that some believe that it is best to use Canon TCs with Canon lenses and Sony TCs
with Sony lenses. I didn't see a difference.

Thanks MM, just what I wanted to know. I’d been keeping in case I went back to Canon for wildlife, however having invested so much in Sony now, I can’t see me going back.

sponsored links

728,468 views & 33,098 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.