Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 01 May 2017 (Monday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to you deal with reflections in glasses?

ShutterKlick
222 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017

Nov 25, 2017 00:06 |  #16

Glint in glasses is a pet peeve of mine and my OCD will not allow it... if I can help it. I never have them remove glasses, because if they wear glasses then they are not natural.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This was the best I could get and still keep my lighting the way I wanted it. It was quite a task but Im mostly satisfied with it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This one, the light may not be quite what I was wanting, but I got zero glint. I am still learning and experimenting.

I do hope to buy a mannequin to practice with, and one thing I will be doing is putting some Walmart reading glasses on it to try to improve that area.

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"
http://shutterklick.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
toadhunter911
439 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 17, 2017 14:58 |  #17

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18503616 (external link)
Glint in glasses is a pet peeve of mine and my OCD will not allow it... if I can help it. I never have them remove glasses, because if they wear glasses then they are not natural.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by ShutterKlick in
./showthread.php?p=185​03616&i=i160362408
forum: People Talk

This was the best I could get and still keep my lighting the way I wanted it. It was quite a task but Im mostly satisfied with it.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by ShutterKlick in
./showthread.php?p=185​03616&i=i141722141
forum: People Talk

This one, the light may not be quite what I was wanting, but I got zero glint. I am still learning and experimenting.

I do hope to buy a mannequin to practice with, and one thing I will be doing is putting some Walmart reading glasses on it to try to improve that area.

Andrew

Chin down, project forehead towards the camera, problem almost always solved.

Craig
Gear List

sfinkernagel
385 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 25, 2018 11:17 |  #18

+1 to tilting the glasses by raising the earpieces a little. Or use broad light on the face. Angle of incidence = angle of reflection. Send the reflection bouncing off into another part of the room.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,226 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 25, 2018 11:26 |  #19

It takes alot of work when doing portraits, especially when you have a line of folks waiting, and you have groups, so each person with glasses has to be addressed.

If possible, I ask whether they can remove them or not, and if they want them on, I have to adjust the pose and the lighting. Sometimes with a big group, there is no solution.

One that was very tough... and eventually I just took what I had.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Holidays/Christmas-2017/i-njD8t6W/0/baca5f6d/X2/ppFX8A6141-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,222 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 25, 2018 14:18 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #20

I think you did a good job TS. IMO, it's not bad to have some reflection in the glasses: as long as they're not obscuring the pupils of the eye. I've done retouching of eyeglass glare that couldn't be avoided. If you can clone and mirror the other eye (and then reduce its transparency and perspective distort it until it lines up with the original), that's usually a start. I've also had to sample and paint out glare around eye-lids (serious re-touching can require a graphics tablet).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,226 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2018 15:52 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #21

Thanks, and yes I have done many recloning of eyes and is one of the reasons I rate off several duplicate shots, usually I have some I can use for cloning, otherwise one becomes the other by a cut and flip.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 25, 2018 16:05 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #22

Strangely ... these heavily posed formal family portraits tell us a huge amount about the people in them. There is so much information in this photograph.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,226 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2018 16:27 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #23

So what does it tell you? I am curious. :)

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by DaviSto.

Jan 25, 2018 16:30 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #24

OK ... I know who calls the shots ... and I know who will call the shots ... in that family.

David.

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 25, 2018 16:45 as a reply to  @ DaviSto's post |  #25

We have some old group formals (very high quality archival b&w prints) of one side of my family taken around 1912-13 ... that's a dozen and a half people, perhaps. (I am the irresponsible one who cavorts all around the planet ... so I am not the holder and I can't share the images). But it is quite fascinating to see what these very formal pictures say about the people in them and what would become of them.

I can spend hours looking at these people ... some as the grand-aunts and grand-fathers that they became .. some as the bright strong cheerful individuals that got blown to bits in the mud of the Somme or Ypres just a couple of years later.

Formal pictures carry an amazing weight of information ... I think.

David.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,226 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2018 16:59 |  #26

DaviSto wrote in post #18548860 (external link)
OK ... I know who calls the shots ... and I know who will call the shots ... in that family.

Well, the older couple are the parents obviously, and they are a very Godly couple, the nicest folks you will ever meet. He is the spiritual leader of the family and is an elder in our church. She is a realtor and honors and loves her husband dearly. He has some medical issues, we held prayer over him yesterday. So I don't know if that matches your thoughts, but these people give all they have to others around them. They are great role models for my wife and I. :)

DaviSto
1,927 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 25, 2018 17:07 |  #27

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18548880 (external link)
Well, the older couple are the parents obviously, and they are a very Godly couple, the nicest folks you will ever meet. He is the spiritual leader of the family and is an elder in our church. She is a realtor and honors and loves her husband dearly. He has some medical issues, we held prayer over him yesterday. So I don't know if that matches your thoughts, but these people give all they have to others around them. They are great role models for my wife and I. :)

Number one: I wish them only well ... and I was never trying to pretend I could determine their individual futures based on one picture. But there were some signs.

As for the senior member ... humble can be a great strength. I admire humble.

David.

BryanIS
31 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 04, 2018 14:08 |  #28

I handle this a little differently than the people who have posted already so ill add my two cents. I don't change my lighting to something that may be unflattering to someone to avoid glass reflection. If I'm getting a lot of it I have them remove their glasses and take a couple photos at different angles. Then I use layer masking to combine them in post. It sounds complex but once you do it a couple times it really only takes a few minutes and the customer is happy.

AD ­ Campbell
591 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 10, 2018 21:41 |  #29

It's really very simple. If your lights are high enough you wont get reflections.

I own gear to take photos with...
Adam Campbell - Portrait photographer
www.acampbellphoto.net (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,704 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 14, 2018 13:43 |  #30

Best bets are to slightly change head orientation or light orientation just slightly enough to avoid it.

Big glasses and big light might make it difficult, but remember that you can also use a plain small reflector with fill light--you don't always have to use a softbox or umbrella.

Usually, though, the least objectionable method is just a slight change in the person's head orientation--usually only a small change is necessary.

sponsored links

8,852 views & 12 likes for this thread
How to you deal with reflections in glasses?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.